Does the SP4/SB power brick have built in surge protection?

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
This may be a really stupid question or something others have been wondering themselves. I recently had the power go out at my house and there was a power surge. My 2,700$ Surface Book is always connected to the dock which connects to the wall from the power brick that came with the dock. It scared the sh*t out of me and the first thing i thought of was oh my god my surface book!

So i bought a surge protector power strip on Amazon which is really cool with 4 fast USB A power ports and 4 120 V 3 prong wall sockets. I wanted to know if this is even necessary.

Now that i am thinking about it the dock may have some built in protection but i am not sure. But what about the standard power bricks for the SP3/4 and SB. Is it safe to just plug them directly into a wall if you are concerned about such a thing?

So the question is does the surface dock have surge protection built in and does the SP4/SB power brick have surge protection?

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
This may be a really stupid question or something others have been wondering themselves. I recently had the power go out at my house and there was a power surge. My 2,700$ Surface Book is always connected to the dock which connects to the wall from the power brick that came with the dock. It scared the sh*t out of me and the first thing i thought of was oh my god my surface book!

So i bought a surge protector power strip on Amazon which is really cool with 4 fast USB A power ports and 4 120 V 3 prong wall sockets. I wanted to know if this is even necessary.

Now that i am thinking about it the dock may have some built in protection but i am not sure. But what about the standard power bricks for the SP3/4 and SB. Is it safe to just plug them directly into a wall if you are concerned about such a thing?

So the question is does the surface dock have surge protection built in and does the SP4/SB power brick have surge protection?

from my electrical knowledge, they have a small level of surge protection, say 5% for short periods. They can't handle wider surges or for longer periods. So having a dedicated surge protector or voltage guard is a good thing - I have one for my laptop

westom

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
Best protection at any appliance is already inside that appliance. Attached protector can sometimes compromise that existing protection.

Do not foolishly assume protector and protection are same. An effective protector make a low impedance (ie less than 10 foot) connection to protection. If that connection does not exist, a protector may simply earth a surge destructively via the attached appliance.

All appliances already contain robust protection. And no protector is inside. Otherwise you are replacing how many appliances every day?

Your concern is for an anomaly that can overwhelm existing protection. That occurs maybe once every seven years. No plug-in protector claims to protect from (or will even discuss) this type of surge. Informed homeowners earth one 'whole house' protector that claims to protect from this type of surge - and all others. Best protection costs about $1 per protected appliance. Is found in any facility that cannot have damage. And is little know by consumers who are only educated by advertising, hearsay, and wild speculation.

If that docking station needs protection, then so does the dishwasher, bathroom and kitchen GFCIs, refrigerator, dimmer switches, furance, clocks, TVs - everything.

That plug-in device that he hopes is necessary - does nothing useful. All that is already done inside electronics.

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
Best protection at any appliance is already inside that appliance. Attached protector can sometimes compromise that existing protection.

Do not foolishly assume protector and protection are same. An effective protector make a low impedance (ie less than 10 foot) connection to protection. If that connection does not exist, a protector may simply earth a surge destructively via the attached appliance.

All appliances already contain robust protection. And no protector is inside. Otherwise you are replacing how many appliances every day?

Your concern is for an anomaly that can overwhelm existing protection. That occurs maybe once every seven years. No plug-in protector claims to protect from (or will even discuss) this type of surge. Informed homeowners earth one 'whole house' protector that claims to protect from this type of surge - and all others. Best protection costs about $1 per protected appliance. Is found in any facility that cannot have damage. And is little know by consumers who are only educated by advertising, hearsay, and wild speculation.

If that docking station needs protection, then so does the dishwasher, bathroom and kitchen GFCIs, refrigerator, dimmer switches, furance, clocks, TVs - everything.

That plug-in device that he hopes is necessary - does nothing useful. All that is already done inside electronics.

Thank you for the reply and taking the time to explain that. I appreciate it :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99