Should I return my Surface pro 4 or are these issues these issues easily resolvable?

InLoveWCupcakes

Oct 8, 2016
Visit site
So I purchased the 8GB RAM, i5, 256GB Model a few days ago on the 4th of October. The type cover that I wanted wasn't available hence i couldn't purchase it.

On the day I got it, there were no issues. I used it for about an hour for initial set up and added some notes to calendar.

Next day I used it in class to take down notes on onenote and use voice recorder to record the lecture. They both worked smoothly.

Following that I installed imo and google chrome. I wasn't able to enter my details to set up imo as the keyboard wasn't popping up. Hence I had to restart at every step to get the keyboard to show up on screen.

Today, I activated the mcaffee internet security key and it was all fine. A while later i tried setting up chrome as my default browser but couldn't. I then left the device and it went to sleep. I came back,clicked the power button and logged in using Hello. However the touch screen wasn't working! i tried to restart using power button but it asked for an additional step to swipe down. Since my touch screen wasn't working, i couldn't. Finally i clicked on the power and it went to sleep again. Then the camera couldn't turn on. For 5 effing minutes, it kept saying "turning camera on". I remembered i had a pin set up so i connected a usb enabled mouse only to realize that there was no virtual keyboard.

Finally, after awhile i managed to log in. The touch screen was still unresponsive so i used the mouse to restart it. It took ages and the fan got really loud. That's when i realized it was updating.
Thought everything will be better after the update but then I noticed a few more things:

The brightness kept adjusting so i disabled auto-brightness. It still kept changing! I set it at 8% and the screen kept flickering! Strangely it doesn't happen at 0%. Only between 1 and 10. UPDATE: Now its flickering at 0% too

Finally I went to check for more updates and saw there were a few updates and 2 of them were downloading and 1 was "waiting to install". Download percentage was 0 though and it has not made any progress even after hours. My wifi has been working fine and i am browsing with no problems.

Oh one more thing, sometimes the keyboard pops back down after typing the first letter and the device does heats up a little bit.

So do these problems get better or should i just return it? I am leaning towards the latter one. I used Macbook Air prior to it and it never gave me any such problems...well except that loud fan once in a while. I have a 7 day return/exchange policy although I am not that sure as I am in Dubai where customer service is almost non-existent.

Last edited:

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm thinking you need to get windows update and make sure you have all the latest os updates/drivers/surface firmware.

Personally don't like mcafee.. I think it's quite the hog and have had a lot of problems with it back in the day. I'm honestly not sure if it's better now . Maybe someone else can advise here.

I also would have recommended a reset before setting up the surface. But I guess it's too late for that.

anon(5327127)

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm thinking that it's Chrome. Only joking (but probably is).

The auto-brightness thing happens on my Dell XPS 12 tablet which is REALLY annoying.

Maybe consider, as above, refreshing the install, perform ALL of the updates, then configure again. You'll have then given it a good shot and then, if it still doesn't work, return. The full build update mechanism is proving to be an issue. Here, in this company, the index can often need rebuilding and our Phone manager software breaks with each build.

P.s. Once you've refreshed the machine and updated... leave it alone, to the side of you, making sure that it doesn't sleep in order for all the indexing, dotnet stuff to finish.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte