SP 2 in 2016? yay or nay?

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
There will be a lot of deals soon and I can imagine that some owners will even be selling their SP2 devices, so they can move on or upgrade.

So is the SP2 still a viable device in 2016? has it held up well? did W10 do it any justice?

Any information is welcome :)

txaggie2016

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I bought my SP2 used in August of 2014 and it has been my daily driver since. I don't believe I've ever had a major issue with this device and I've put it through enough! I had some heating and battery drain issues when I first installed W10 but updates seem to have solved that. I still get a solid 5 - 6 hours of use (display dim, working in Office, internet browsing, emails) and would still highly recommend this machine -- especially if you can find it with a deal!

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
If you are just looking for a good deal, then yes, it's a viable option. I am still using my SP2, but wanting to upgrade it. Money is just a little tight though, so I'm sticking with it for now.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
(for some reason, the site isn't giving me a save option when I hit edit, so sorry for the back to back posts)

As far as Windows 10... I see no performance issues, although I do have an 8GB RAM model of the SP2.

Also, my daughter loves the "new" inking functionality.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
1. If the price is right, absolutely. It's a quality tablet with sufficient horsepower inside. if you like the features and form-factor, sure. My daily driver laptop is the same generation and a little bit more powerful than the Pro 2 and its perfectly fine. Heck, even the Pro 1 will be fine. These gadgets have largely been getting more efficient, not necessarily more powerful lately.

2. If the battery isn't in good shape, absolutely not. It's nigh impossible to repair and attempting it will likely result in serious damage to the glass, display, etc. This will only become more of an issue going forward but it probably isn't a huge worry yet.

3. If you're planning on keeping it for an extended period of time, such as beyond a few years, probably not. Go for something that's either newer or less disposable/easier to repair than the Surface series. But as a secondary device or toy to play with, knock yourself out.

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Me too, going on 6 years, although I picked up a Lenovo Yoga Book early this year because of its superior looks, remarkable portability, and low price. The Pro 2 has my music collection loaded on an SD card and sits next to my easy chair to Bluetooth Spotify Premium and my own music through to my stereo. It still charges fine and plays music for 3-5 hours, pretty much as it always did. Bluetooth does use more juice than a wired connection did, but that's the case with any device.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Me too, going on 6 years, although I picked up a Lenovo Yoga Book early this year because of its superior looks, remarkable portability, and low price. The Pro 2 has my music collection loaded on an SD card and sits next to my easy chair to Bluetooth Spotify Premium and my own music through to my stereo. It still charges fine and plays music for 3-5 hours, pretty much as it always did. Bluetooth does use more juice than a wired connection did, but that's the case with any device.

As I said in another thread on the SP2 board here, this is my first real Surface, after having an RT. I really like it for what it is, and even with lower specs than my last Dell laptop (I got the SP2 in a trade deal with a friend for my last laptop), I am more than happy at what it can do. Even in 2018.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos