SP4 vs SP5

jabz9

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
I'm currently a college student and I plan on getting a new computer soon. I know for sure that I want to get a Surface, I'm just not sure if I should the surface pro 4 or should I wait for Surface pro 5. I know I want to get an i5 model with 256gb.
The information that I'd like to know, do any of you guys know if the SP5 will be announced and released in April or may, or possibly even later. Also, do you think the battery will be significantly better than the SP4 or will it be around the same?

Thank you for your feedback in advance!

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi jabz9, please refrain from creating multiple threads in the future, thanks!

I'm not sure we have many details to go off of and you're really comparing to a device that doesn't exist yet so I think the best thing to think about is whether the Pro 4 meets your needs and is at the right price.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Unless they really change the form factor, the battery will pretty much be the same size. The next-gen CPU will be Kaby Lake and it's not a huge power saver compared to the Surface Pro 4's current-gen Skylake. I would guess a 5-15% improvement. Not a game changer. However, as with any new iteration (and remember, Kaby Lake is not a new design but rather an evolution from Skylake), they will likely have ironed out the bugs in Skylake and I firmly believe that Skylake bugs were a major reason why the Surface Pro 4 had such major headaches with things like sleep and connected standby, requiring so many patches and updates.

So if you want to wait and can easily wait, then wait. But don't wait because you think the Surface Pro 5 will be dramatically better. If you could really use a Surface Pro 4 now, then get it. I'm betting that the Surface Pro 5 will be Kaby Lake (obviously), will have USB-C instead of regular USB 3.0 which will allow the case to be thinner, and will have a further refinement of Microsoft's N-Trig technology. And Microsoft will be able to charge a premium for it. So Surface Pro 4 will still be great at a reduced price.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Originally posted by jabz9
I'm currently a college student and I plan on getting a new computer soon. I know for sure that I want to get a Surface, I'm just not sure if I should the surface pro 4 or should I wait for Surface pro 5. I know I want to get an i5 model with 256gb.
The information that I'd like to know, do any of you guys know if the SP5 will be announced and released in April or may, or possibly even later. Also, do you think the battery will be significantly better than the SP4 or will it be around the same?

Thank you for your feedback in advance!

I always think that it's best to just buy what you want now as you could say the same thing when the SP5 is out, "Should I buy the SP5 now or wait for the SP6". The other thing to remember is that the SP5 will be a brand new product, so unless you are willing to put up with the defects that the early versions will have then you would be better off with the SP4.

iBelieve0q

Feb 11, 2017
Visit site
There's one area, if rumors are to be believed, where I think the SP5 will be actually a step down from the SP4. I love the fact that, unlike the iPad Pro's Pencil, I have never had to charge my Surface Pen. It runs on standard batteries inside that have lasted me a year without needing to be replaced. The rumor states that the new Pen will be a rechargeable Pen, which they are touting as this great new feature. Please, save me from this "feature."

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm reading that the S5 wont be out until June and they are expected to announce it this month.
Me I just picked up the S4 m3 I had the S4 i5 256 when it first came out but had to send it back as I got fed up with the fan. I wish they had an LTE version, but you can't have everything.

EMitchell

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
It might make sense to wait to purchase a system until after the SP5 is released, it will likely drive the price of the SP4 down a little. I've been thinking about picking up an SP4, but don't need it immediately, so I'm planning to wait until the SP5 is at least announced.

Awhispersecho

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I got the M3 with keyboard bundle at Best Buy for 650 bucks. A that price I had to do it and I absolutely love it but if it weren't for that deal, I would be waiting until the new announcements because the prices will drop a bit.

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I got the M3 with keyboard bundle at Best Buy for 650 bucks. A that price I had to do it and I absolutely love it but if it weren't for that deal, I would be waiting until the new announcements because the prices will drop a bit.
$599 this weekend go get that price match son

Awhispersecho

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
That's without the keyboard. I got the bundle with the Alcantara keyboard for 650 total. You had me excited for a minute there though, I saw your post and immediately went to their site mumbling " those bastards" the whole time. Good looking out. Almost worked.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo