What are your must have apps in 2017 for the Surface Pro 4?

Carlos da Fonseca

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Welp, sticking just to "app", you know, the ones from the store, there's Microsoft Edge, Slack, Messenger, Hypersonic and Outlook. For non-store stuff, Visual Studio 2017 and Microsoft Excel.

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
Very cool you guys! It's always interesting to see how many different people from different industries and backgrounds use the SP4!

Achike Da

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
From my battery Usage stats, it says I use Edge, word, skype, OneNote, myTube & Cortana the most. I'm surprised that Steam & Netflix weren't higher on the list. Well, there you have it, my top 8 applications

kevin sinsimer

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
I have Surface Pro 3, but I use Microsoft Edge and Disney's Magic Kingdoms the most; I also use Spotify, OneNote, Microsoft Word, and PhotoShop CS6.

Hans Swolfs

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
here it's a surface pro 3 also but so in love with that thing :)

Apps :
- Aeries (Twitter)
- Windows Central (duh)
- Yelo Play (tv app from our tv company)
- Remote Desktop Connection
- Phonos (to control our Sonos)
- Drawboard PDF
- Huetro (to control Philips Hue lights)
- Smartschool (our school's LMS)
- Slack (for webstuff collaboration)
- Netflix (Obvious ;))

All these are used almost on a daily bases and are sitting on my Lumia 950XL as well...

Aside from the apps there's Office 2016 (Word/Excel/PowerPoint/OneDrive/OneNote), Laragon (local webserver stuff for webdevelopment), Capture One Pro 9 for my photo work

There's a handfull of other apps but not used that much so not worth the mention :)

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
here it's a surface pro 3 also but so in love with that thing :)

Apps :
- Aeries (Twitter)
- Windows Central (duh)
- Yelo Play (tv app from our tv company)
- Remote Desktop Connection
- Phonos (to control our Sonos)
- Drawboard PDF
- Huetro (to control Philips Hue lights)
- Smartschool (our school's LMS)
- Slack (for webstuff collaboration)
- Netflix (Obvious ;))

All these are used almost on a daily bases and are sitting on my Lumia 950XL as well...

Aside from the apps there's Office 2016 (Word/Excel/PowerPoint/OneDrive/OneNote), Laragon (local webserver stuff for webdevelopment), Capture One Pro 9 for my photo work

There's a handfull of other apps but not used that much so not worth the mention :)

Awesome list. Thanks for sharing. How is Aeries? Very interested to hear as I'm an avid Twitter user on other platforms.

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
For me, the majority of my apps are standard Windows installs and not apps from the app store. I use my SP4 mostly for browsing and work. I use OneNote within Outlook instead of the standalone app. I use it for storing personal notes that go back years. OneDrive is also used quite heavily but again, not through the app. Mainly through Windows Explorer. I also use Mimecast & RoboForm. I switch between Chrome and Edge as I still feel Chrome is a better experience.

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
For me, the majority of my apps are standard Windows installs and not apps from the app store. I use my SP4 mostly for browsing and work. I use OneNote within Outlook instead of the standalone app. I use it for storing personal notes that go back years. OneDrive is also used quite heavily but again, not through the app. Mainly through Windows Explorer. I also use Mimecast & RoboForm. I switch between Chrome and Edge as I still feel Chrome is a better experience.

Very interesting. I've actually made edge my go to for the past few months. There's still a few issues here and there but I'm enjoying it!

demon09

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
Netflix is another big one.

I just installed Steam on this device (I have a more powerful laptop I usually use it on), but I'm still not sure what games really work well (part of that is navigating Steam's store is kind of a nightmare for finding new games). Perhaps this is better for another thread, but tangentially related, but what games do you play on your Surface 4?

xsikal

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
I think the only app I regularly use on my SP4 is Netflix. Even with OneNote, I prefer the full version rather than the app version. And honestly, I wanted a Surface instead of a standard tablet BECAUSE I prefer full-fledged desktop programs.

Rahsna Asurac

Dec 2, 2016
Visit site
Great topic :)

I use mine for all the quick tasks you would normally want to do on a mobile, but then wish you had better productivity options.

Skype UWP, OneNote Groove and Edge are my main 1st party apps.

As for 3rd party I use Plumbago for drawing and Wunderlist for TODOs.

I do web scripting in a win32 application called TSW WebCoder, but I am attempting to migrate to VS for my future coding needs.

For Light gaming I have got Minecraft: Windows 10 Edition
For regular gaming I have whatever the Battle.Net application offers.

Finally I irregulary test touch-based apps and Windows elements - but that is only because this is my only Windows 10 PC with touch and precision touch pad.

I hope the answer I provided to your question was of some use :)

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
Great topic :)

I use mine for all the quick tasks you would normally want to do on a mobile, but then wish you had better productivity options.

Skype UWP, OneNote Groove and Edge are my main 1st party apps.

As for 3rd party I use Plumbago for drawing and Wunderlist for TODOs.

I do web scripting in a win32 application called TSW WebCoder, but I am attempting to migrate to VS for my future coding needs.

For Light gaming I have got Minecraft: Windows 10 Edition
For regular gaming I have whatever the Battle.Net application offers.

Finally I irregulary test touch-based apps and Windows elements - but that is only because this is my only Windows 10 PC with touch and precision touch pad.

I hope the answer I provided to your question was of some use :)

Awesome list. How do you find gaming on the SP4?

Any good touch based apps to pass on?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3