08-07-2017 02:59 PM
119 1234 ...
tools
    No because I only got my Pro 4 last year and it's still working well. Excited cause the new accessories (announced and forth coming) are backward compatible so older devices not left behind.
    05-23-2017 11:26 AM
    I've been considering upgrading my original Surface Pro. It still works great, but i just want something newer. Maybe, by the end of the year.
    05-23-2017 11:46 AM
    No, not that I think it isn't worth every penny people will spend on it but the specs don't seem like enough of a leap to upgrade from my SP4. I'll upgrade when the next one comes along as I always skip a generation.
    05-23-2017 11:53 AM
    Yes... I'll wait till fall when the LTE version comes out. I am a little disappointed that they didn't offer colors like the Surface Laptop.
    05-23-2017 12:03 PM
    They dropped the number and they should drop the word "Pro" from the name as well. Apple went too far with their MacBook Pro by only including Thunderbolt 3 ports but at least they included the port of the future.The new Surface is not future proof. Yes, I can use the Surface Connector to use the docking station I currently own but I can't use any of the TB3 docking stations out there (some are better, some are cheaper) not having these options available with the new Surface "Pro" is bad, especially when you consider it will probably be a couple of years before they release a redesign (not just a spec upgrade).TL;DR This is not a very pro device...
    05-23-2017 12:26 PM
    My SP3 is getting a bit old. I ordered a Eve V via Indiegogo. Supposedly they are going to start shipping the devices in a few weeks. Price was great ($900), 14 hour battery, fanless Kaby Lake processors in the Surface form factor. But same options in a Surface Pro along with LTE is tempting me. I am probably going to get this later in the year once it shows up at Best Buy since I have quite a bit of BB credit.
    05-23-2017 12:41 PM
    They dropped the number and they should drop the word "Pro" from the name as well. Apple went too far with their MacBook Pro by only including Thunderbolt 3 ports but at least they included the port of the future.The new Surface is not future proof. Yes, I can use the Surface Connector to use the docking station I currently own but I can't use any of the TB3 docking stations out there (some are better, some are cheaper) not having these options available with the new Surface "Pro" is bad, especially when you consider it will probably be a couple of years before they release a redesign (not just a spec upgrade).TL;DR This is not a very pro device...
    Right, so a Pro device should include something that would require an adapter to use 99% of the devices on the face of the planet?

That would be a very stupid iPad style move as the ONLY devices that use USB-C at the moment are phones.
    Drael646464 and Chintan Gohel like this.
    05-23-2017 12:56 PM
    I hope there is a good trade in for a Surface Pro 3! I want a LTE model! I'm planning on upgrading when it is at a lower price point, which is how I buy all my PCs, on sale. I love it though, rounded edges, improved hinge, and did I mention, LTE?
    05-23-2017 12:57 PM
    Right, so a Pro device should include something that would require an adapter to use 99% of the devices on the face of the planet?
    #donglelife
    The hazards of living in the 21st century with #firstworldproblems !
    I feel your pain.
    neo158 likes this.
    05-23-2017 01:00 PM
    I could see a Surface 3 upgrade running Windows 10 S as "the new Surface" model. This is a Pro device. I think they wanted to get away from numbering devices as that puts a finite timeline that stands out IMHO. The product number x (Surface/iPad) was released x (even 2 years) years ago adds unnecessary age to a device.
    05-23-2017 01:03 PM
    #donglelife
    The hazards of living in the 21st century with #firstworldproblems !
    I feel your pain.
    I'm not worried as I have a device with a port that works with 99% of the devices anyway!!!
    05-23-2017 01:03 PM
    I'm not sure why I should get this over the Surface Laptop ?
    Surface Laptop has a bigger screen, much better keyboard and can be used in bed ( on the lap) . I know that tilt support in pen is not coming to Surface Laptop, but that's hardly a deal breaker for me.
    Any other reason ?
    05-23-2017 01:14 PM
    Surface PRO is very nice, but I will prefer to buy an updated surface book ...
    05-23-2017 01:28 PM
    I'm happy with my Surface 3 but my wife wants my Surface 3 to watch movies so I'm tempted by the entry-level Surface Pro + Alcantara Type Cover at less than USD1000.
    05-23-2017 02:12 PM
    So, the new Surface Pro is official! What do we think? Disappointed? Or excited? And most importantly, do you plan to buy one? Let’s keep it simple, using this format: Will you buy it (yes/no/maybe) > Why, or why not? I’ll get started:

Yes > That thing is slick looking, and I could really use a new Surface. Pen looks sick too!

Your turn ...
    People will wait until LTE is available, so do I.
    Please test real battery performance.
    Dradzk likes this.
    05-23-2017 02:27 PM
    Not for me thanks. At this price I could knock up a much more effective desktop, possibly with a new Ryzen and still have money for a cheap tablet for all my tabletty needs.
    05-23-2017 02:36 PM
    Will I buy the Surface Pro? Probably not: I have the SP4, i7/16GB/512GB. To me, it looks like too little improvement compared with the one I own. Still, I'm curious...

* 50% increase in battery life... SP4 said 9 hours of video playback. But what is reality?
    -- My first use of the SP4 in December 2015, the battery went from 100% to 15% in ca. 2 hours: I did what I do now -- participated in web discussion fora.
    -- Since then, my experience is that *in real life*, the battery life has varied between 2-5 hours, depending on use, firmware upgrades, etc.
    -- A couple of weeks ago, I had the *shocking* experience of "burning down" the battery from 100% to 20% in 45 minutes: I ran computing intensive Python scripts in rapid sequence.

* So: I'm curious as to the *real life* battery capacity. Of course, I like what I hear about "instant on", no battery leakage in sleep mode, etc. Again, I'm curious as to what testers find.

* I just stayed a few weeks abroad, renting an apartment with wi-fi. Wi-fi worked fine on my Lumia 950, but I was not able to get any decent connection with the SP4... if I opened Edge and typed in an url, perhaps 5 minutes later, the web page showed up... impossible to use. In a cafe across the street, the wi-fi worked fine also on the SP4. Any improvements with wi-fi? I'm curious about the LTE model.

* I may get hold of one of the new type covers -- I "hate" the plastic surface of the original type covers... after 5 minutes, it feels like my hands are sweating and sliding off the keyboard. But I don't need to upgrade my SP4 to get the keyboard.

* Pen... does the new pen work with SP4 -- and give 4096 levels of pressure sensitivity? Or does the improvement require some new processor in the SP (2017)?

* For an upgrade, I might also like to see 32GB RAM... OK, it would be monstrously expensive, so maybe not.
    --
    An alternative to me (running computing intensive programs) would be to have a "home" workstation and the possibility to remotely log into the workstation using some SP (2017) or something and just use the SP as a terminal/word processing tool. To have stable connection, the LTE version would probably be necessary... I am quite disillusioned wrt. wi-fi and the dream of stable connection.
    05-23-2017 03:06 PM
    So, the new Surface Pro is official! What do we think? Disappointed? Or excited? And most importantly, do you plan to buy one? Let’s keep it simple, using this format: Will you buy it (yes/no/maybe) > Why, or why not? I’ll get started:

Yes > That thing is slick looking, and I could really use a new Surface. Pen looks sick too!

Your turn ...
    05-23-2017 03:40 PM
    The most compelling aspect is the improved inking capabilities. Works good enough on my Surface 3. have not spent much time on my SP4 with a pen. Battery life, Thermal design also makes it compelling.

But the SP4 is still a great device. Why spend another $1000 when my Surface 3 and SP4 work well? Side note, son went from MacBook at school to a Dell XPS 13 this time last year. Headed to college. He did not like the SP4 because of the detachable type cover. Go figure.

Lots of people can be picky given all the available options.
    05-23-2017 04:45 PM

Your turn ...
    I'm excited. I think I'll wait until at least 2-3 months after official release to escape the first adopter hardware/software bugs and issues. I'm sure there will be some.

Three missing features I'm a boy disappointed about:
    1. No USB C
    2. No extra buttons on the surface own
    3. No built in gps module

Wishes:
    1. External power bank accessory for offgrid charging
    2. Hot swappable removable battery
    3. IP68 water/dust proof for the fanless core m3 and i5 models.
    05-23-2017 06:04 PM
    When I got a Surface Book about a year ago, I passed my SP3 along to a daughter whose old laptop was in its death throes. I believed had no need for a dedicated tablet any more. Turns out that a Surface Book is not ideal in some situations, so I may be in the market for something to replace the SP3. The battery life and upgraded processor on the 2017 Pro make it quite attractive. I think there is a better than even chance I will end up with one before the end of the year. The presence or absence of LTE doesn't make it or break it for me; If the need should arrive I can use my phone's hot spot.

I like the increased potential of the new pen and am glad it will be compatible with earlier models. Once the new drivers are available for the book, I will definitely get one of those. Too bad about the pocket clip, though. I hope the pen barrel is standard diameter so I can get a standard pocket clip from an office products store. I have seen people do that with the Apple pencil, which strikes me as seriously easy to misplace or lose if you don't fasten it to something.
    05-23-2017 06:24 PM
    I don't need one, since I'm happy with SB. But the device looks very refined. I went to a store today to see the demo unit and compared it to SP4 next to it. I had a SP3 for over a year, loved it, and had bought a SP4 for my gf so I am familiar with SP4 as well. The curved edges are a nice touch. Weight is about the same by feel as SP4. The hinge opens more, and it is noticeable when compared side to side with SP4. The new pen was not there at the demo, and i didn't try inking on it. To me, the longer battery life compared to SP3 is significant, but I had an i7 SP3, so i doubt i7 SP will get 13hrs. The demo unit was i5, so it was fanless. In any case, the product is getting better every iteration, and with usb c adaptor that's coming out in fall, it should last quite a few years depending on what you do. I am considering buying the new pen to go with my SB and SS, once the software update supports it. Good refresh for SP line. Can't wait to see what they will unveil this fall.
    MasterDarque and Wevenhuis like this.
    05-23-2017 07:08 PM
    Won't be getting it in the near future, Surface Pro 3 still works well and these things aren't cheap.

Plus I'd rather upgrade to something with more usb ports and USB C. They have stiff competition from others now.
    05-23-2017 07:08 PM
    No thanks on the new Surface Pro. Without Thunderbolt 3, this thing is dead on arrival. Proprietary charging, yuck. Try again in another 2 years Panos Panay, maybe next time you can get it right.
    05-23-2017 08:08 PM
    Won't be getting it in the near future, Surface Pro 3 still works well and these things aren't cheap.

Plus I'd rather upgrade to something with more usb ports and USB C. They have stiff competition from others now.
    This is my exact position also. My SP3 is still working well. Battery life can be better, but that isn't a reason to upgrade now.

So I'll be holding on to my SP3 for a while longer
    05-23-2017 09:24 PM
119 1234 ...