Preorders are now LIVEfor all of the new Surface devicesfor Fall 2021

08-07-2017 02:59 PM
119 12345
tools
    I wasn't expecting much because I thought they wouldn't reveal the Surface Phone, so...and I thought the Surface was just a slight refresh with the Alcantra type cover, but I was massively surprised with how this thing has turned out. Unlike some, I think the name should change. Glad they got rid of the numeral, i.e 3,4,5 etc. Just doesn't need it. Even the Pro I think they could have gotten rid of that and just called it Surface. It's the original and gave birth to all Surface devices, so...
    I honestly couldn't see much to improve on the Pro 4 as I love it. Probably the only thing I could have picked on was the battery life, but even then I was pretty cool with my 7-9 hours of heavy use. The fact that they have improved it but not changed it in so many ways is just amazing - battery life, lighter, typecover, pen, chip...WTF! Microsoft is killing it and *uck the negative douchebags.
    I would get this except I will be getting the Surface Laptop.
    Drael646464 likes this.
    05-23-2017 09:42 PM
    Not sure. i've had my SP4 since the day of release.

I'm thinking about it.
    05-23-2017 10:11 PM
    13.5 battery life - THIRTEEN. AND. A. HALF. - and I'm like HOLY $#@ just take my money already.
    I'm excited about battery life, too.
    And, yes, I'm planning on getting an i5 with 8gb of ram,

But let's pause and reflect before we get too excited about the battery.

MS promised something like 9.5 hours of battery life on the SP4. My real-world experience was between 4-5 hours doing modest computing stuff. And that is after making a lot of effort to tweak my settings for best longest battery life over outright performance.

Based on my experience, I figure we should expect a similar ratio (bullsh1t marketing promises versus actual performance) in the new machine. So ... 13.5 / 2 = 6.75.

If I'm honest with myself, I find that to be a disappointing projection. But, as long as I can get close to 7 hours per charge I think I can live with that. If it turns out to be significantly less, then I'll be returning that thing for yet another refund!

Crossing my fingers. I really want to like the new machine.

Gamely Lounges
    Kram Devil likes this.
    05-23-2017 11:16 PM
    I'm excited about battery life, too.
    And, yes, I'm planning on getting an i5 with 8gb of ram,

But let's pause and reflect before we get too excited about the battery.

MS promised something like 9.5 hours of battery life on the SP4. My real-world experience was between 4-5 hours doing modest computing stuff. And that is after making a lot of effort to tweak my settings for best longest battery life over outright performance.

Based on my experience, I figure we should expect a similar ratio (bullsh1t marketing promises versus actual performance) in the new machine. So ... 13.5 / 2 = 6.75.

If I'm honest with myself, I find that to be a disappointing projection. But, as long as I can get close to 7 hours per charge I think I can live with that. If it turns out to be significantly less, then I'll be returning that thing for yet another refund!

Crossing my fingers. I really want to like the new machine.

Gamely Lounges
    Yaa... I think this will be the deciding factor for me. I'm not that happy with my surface pro 4 battery life but if reports starting coming in that the Surface Pro can give at least 10 hours battery life without tweaking.. it would be very tempting.
    05-23-2017 11:42 PM
    I will buy now. I love the battery life of 13 hours.

I will go for a I7 1TB Version to help me with my works. I hope it is very strong one since I am a Constructions guy.

Regards,

RSP:)
    05-23-2017 11:50 PM
    Nope, not planning on it. I currently have a surface pro 4, not enough to make me switch from it. (besides still have a couple of payments left on it....

So, the new Surface Pro is official! What do we think? Disappointed? Or excited? And most importantly, do you plan to buy one? Let’s keep it simple, using this format: Will you buy it (yes/no/maybe) > Why, or why not? I’ll get started:

Yes > That thing is slick looking, and I could really use a new Surface. Pen looks sick too!

Your turn ...
    05-24-2017 12:05 AM
    I am intrigued. I had resigned myself to replace my SP2 by EoY with whatever me SP came out. Then the x360 Spectre 13 came out... Then the Surface Laptop... Now this new SP... I am very conflicted. It will likely come down to real world battery testing and if two Surface products both hit their promised marks, I'll probably go with the SL i5/256. If neither do, I'll probably go x360.
    05-24-2017 12:23 AM
    No thanks on the new Surface Pro. Without Thunderbolt 3, this thing is dead on arrival. Proprietary charging, yuck. Try again in another 2 years Panos Panay, maybe next time you can get it right.
    Lol, why does every tech geek in existence think usb-c matters to regular people?
    05-24-2017 02:18 AM
    Most tech geeks just copy and paste comments made by other tech geeks!!

... !!
    Grodelj and neo158 like this.
    05-24-2017 02:36 AM
    No.
    Because Microsoft hiked up the prices. I bought the i5/4GB SP3 almost at launch for 800 euros. The same configuration now costs 1200€. And for 1500€ for the i5/8GB...I'd rather buy the Spectre 360X for that price.
    So yeah. Not happening.

I'm also very skeptical about the fanless i5 versions. The SP3 heats up... The SP5 without a fan... Hmm...
    05-24-2017 02:48 AM

Gamely Lounges
    Thank you for tempering my expectations. I'll just wait 1 month or two after the first people get their surface laptops and surface pros and they post their reviews before I buy one. I just want an i5 surface that will last me until I get home. I have this tingly feeling I'm going to love that Pen no matter which one I choose.
    05-24-2017 02:51 AM
    Honestly, the Pro 3 still does everything I need when I'm away from my desktop, so I find it hard to justify retiring it. When it konks out I'll grab the new Pro, though. But that was kind of my plan all along, even if it were just an iterative update over the 4. The new Pro is as big an improvement as I was hoping it would be.
    05-24-2017 02:54 AM
    Lol, why does every tech geek in existence think usb-c matters to regular people?
    Simple answer is that it doesn't, until the vast majority of devices support USB-C then there's no need for it on the SP. I always think of Printers, first we had the Centronics port only, then we had transitional printers that added USB-B connections so until we see the same thing happen with USB-C there's no need for it.

@Dusteater you do know that "proprietary charging port" handles more than just charging, it's used for the dock and as of the new SP it will have a USB-C adapter for it as well.
    05-24-2017 04:13 AM
    I've not long got the pro 4
    Me too, I wouldn't be able to justify it and I'm very happy with my Pro 4. However, I have to admit that I am still tempted simply because of that improved battery life - 13.5 hours is a big deal and I use my Pro 4 in tablet form a lot.

I could be persuaded if there was a favourable buy-back scheme to upgrade to the Pro 2017.
    05-24-2017 04:45 AM
    So, the new Surface Pro is official! What do we think? Disappointed? Or excited? And most importantly, do you plan to buy one? Let’s keep it simple, using this format: Will you buy it (yes/no/maybe) > Why, or why not? I’ll get started:

Yes > That thing is slick looking, and I could really use a new Surface. Pen looks sick too!

Your turn ...
    I got a SP4 w 8gb now, yes it is newer and all that, but not a ground breaker, plus I want a bigger screen (getting to old for 12'3 hehe)
    05-24-2017 05:12 AM

Your turn ...
    Hell no. Highly disappointed that they simply couldn't replace that Mini DisplayPort with a Thunderbolt 3 port.

Mini DisplayPort never got anywhere near the adoption of HDMI nor VGA, it's just-as common as USB Type C is at this moment (if not worse). It's not like they have to replace the awesome magnetic Surface connect port in order to gain Thunderbolt 3 support. Yet they chose to keep that Mini DisplayPort and make the Surface Pro not future proof for the growing collection of USB Type C and Thunderbolt 3 accessories.

Screw it, sticking with my Surface Pro 2.
    05-24-2017 06:17 AM
    Nope - I am still happy with my Surface Book. Quite frankly, my use case is more for a lightweight laptop first and a tablet second. I would love to buy the performance base separately (and get the extra battery life and much improved GPU), but Microsoft doesn't want to sell that.

As for all those people distressed by Microsoft's lack of USB-C support, what are you missing out on? The proprietary Microsoft charging port works well, practically slips itself into place, offers mag-safe equivalent quick-disconnect for those times when you trip over your charging cable, and supports a nicely-equipped dock. It's several years yet before USB-C is the only standard out there, probably longer than the life of this device, and Microsoft is probably one of the better-positioned players to be able to gauge USB-C adoption. Their lack of support probably tells you all you need to know at present. It's still too early in the product cycle of the USB-C standard, and no matter which way the chips fall we are going to be increasingly dealing with dongles for the forseeable future.
    Last edited by savagelizards; 05-24-2017 at 07:17 AM. Reason: typo = read "hope" instead of "nope"
    Chintan Gohel likes this.
    05-24-2017 07:16 AM
    There should be an option to select:

"Nope - already have a Surface Pro 4"

Which is my case. Bought Core i7/256GB model 3 months ago and it will do me fine for a couple of years. Just like the 1st gen Pro I still have kicking around did a few years ago.
    05-24-2017 09:06 AM
    I would wait till the LTE variant comes out. Hopefully there'll be good deals for students then.
    ajcletus500 likes this.
    05-24-2017 09:07 AM
    I'm tempted to make the plunge but.... I need to be a little more convinced for its steep price tag without the pen included.
    05-24-2017 09:56 AM
    I bought a SP4 about a month ago and just returned it at the end of the 30 day period to see what was announced. I really like the new Surface Pro and just need to get my head wrapped around if I want to spend that much. I most likely will because... nothing like having the latest and greatest and I've not done that in a while. You get the glamour of the new, but also the pain and suffering of bugs.
    05-24-2017 10:56 AM

Your turn ...
    Nope - I have a new SP4 and that will work fine for my needs.
    05-24-2017 11:33 AM
    Have a pre-order in for 30 of them. The battery life is most interesting for me. It might be all day battery life finally? Still can't get students through the day usually on SP4.
    05-24-2017 11:35 AM
    I won't be buying one for me (I still love my top specc'd SB) but I'm buying a couple with LTE for my staff. Wish I could pre-order the LTE models though.
    05-24-2017 03:19 PM
    No. No USB C / Thunderbolt 3. The pen doesn't come with it as it did with my Pro 4. They should have included the keyboard, not remove accessories. I have a pretty solid i7 Pro 4. Other than improved battery life, I don't think i am missing much.
    05-24-2017 07:00 PM
119 12345