Are you buying the new Surface Pro or what?

Al Sacco

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
So, the new Surface Pro is official! What do we think? Disappointed? Or excited? And most importantly, do you plan to buy one? Let’s keep it simple, using this format: Will you buy it (yes/no/maybe) > Why, or why not? I’ll get started:

Yes > That thing is slick looking, and I could really use a new Surface. Pen looks sick too!

Your turn ...

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
<sign> It looks as if I'm going to have to update my Surface 3 now. I think the Surface Pro looks impressive. Confused about the name though. (probably because its a global launch).

Twitter: @PhotographyET

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
No, because I don't have the money, lol.

But I would, thing looks delish with its new hinge, refreshed specs, LTE option, fast wake, ultra long battery and swish new pen. Apparently the dock will have usb c btw, if anyone was wanting to run an e-gpu (which actually seems like the smartest option for usb c, seeing as its main potential use is a stationary one*)

*Correction, I don't know it actually does support thunderbolt 3 - it may only do multi-monitor, hubs and charging.

Last edited:

anon(5415472)

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I thought I was just going to watch today's event just to see what's new. Was NOT thinking of getting new gear at the time. Then I heard ....

New pen with 4096 pen pressure, Tilt-sensitivity, 21ms latency - and I'm like, Wow, that's nice :smile:
acoustically quiet fanless i5 - and I'm, That's crazy good, I'm tempted but fan-noise doesn't really bother me that much :smile:
13.5 battery life - THIRTEEN. AND. A. HALF. - and I'm like HOLY $#@ just take my money already.

I want this far more than the surface laptop. I want that long battery life in this form factor. and now it's here :D

anon(5415472)

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Apparently the dock will have usb c btw, if anyone was wanting to run an e-gpu (which actually seems like the smartest option for usb c, seeing as its main potential use is a stationary one*)

*Correction, I don't know it actually does support thunderbolt 3 - it may only do multi-monitor, hubs and charging.

He kinda stumbled on the delivery on that one. I just hear him say usb-c then paused and did a hasty correction with usb-a 3.0 then talked a bit then said you can use it with a usb-c.

e-gpu would be nice on top of the 13.5 battery life and support for tilt-detecting surface pens. Here's hoping it does thunderbolt 3

Justin Reed8

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
No, but only because my SP3 is still working well. Otherwise it looks fantastic. I do wish it had USB-C, but I understand their thought process. Maybe if I get a REALLY big raise.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I totally would if I wasn't currently in a love affair with my Surface Book. The Surface Pro looks like a killer addition to the Pro line.

The LTE is particularly appealing.

beachedwhale42

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Probably. My wife's SP1 still runs fine, but battery life is starting to go down a bit (used to get about 6 hours, now down to about 3-4 max). I'm assuming that one day she'll come to me and say "my battery only lasts 20 minutes", in which case, one of the Core m3/128 units for $799 will probably be ordered (barring a steal on a SP4 or something).

The lack of innovation on the SP (2017) doesn't bother me. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. The SP is, in my opinion, the optimal form factor for a portable computer. Those who disagree can get the SB or SL and we can all be happy :)

Haystack510

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
I will hold off until I see the SB2. Really want to see what they do on that front first. Then I will decide between the SP5 or SB2. But from what they showed today its really hard to hold off for a couple more months.

besweeet

May 16, 2014
Visit site
No, because of the lack of USB-C. I'm not going to buy something with a mostly-outdated port when the device will likely get USB-C next year. Will get an alternative or just hold off.

Chris_NH

Feb 1, 2016
Visit site
Yes. Will use it as my primary work PC. My current SP3 will become my backup work PC and (the family's) primary kitchen PC. Really looking forward to using the new, fast pen. USB-C not a big deal for me. I plan to buy a Surface dock so I can also use the new Surface Pro as my desktop PC.

Cerif27

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Eh. It's a the best of its breed and if I didn't already have a 4 I would be absoutely ALL IN. But I DO have a 4 and I love it. Until it's no longer able to do its job I'll keep it. But since they basically have the same processor, they should become obsolete at around the same time. Something newer and even better will be out by then.

Tales Normando

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I would if a) I hadn't bought the SP4 last August and b) I wasn't getting ready to buy a new gaming laptop next month. Since I don't live on any of the countries where Surfaces are available it seems it'll be a long time before I replace my Pro 4.

Attic Muse

Oct 11, 2015
Visit site
Most likely yes, my first gen Surface Pro is getting a little long in the tooth, so this seems like a good point to upgrade. I had been planning to get an i5/8GB/256GB model but I'm a little worried about them going fanless in the i5. Recently for work I've been running an Ubuntu VM and while the memory (4GB) has been the main bottleneck so far the CPU has occasionally been hitting 100% (Edge sometimes goes a bit crazy), so I'm wondering if the CPU throttling will be too much to comfortably run everything. Don't think I can afford the i7 though, so I guess we'll see.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte