Are you buying the new Surface Pro or what?

preich78

Dec 14, 2015
Visit site
Yeah baby. Mid-range Core i5/8GB/256GB will be my secondary PC, main tablet and main family 'around the house' computer. Possibly also travelling computer which is handy as I should get it the week before I depart for a 2-week long trip abroad.

csd_images

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
So, the new Surface Pro is official! What do we think? Disappointed? Or excited? And most importantly, do you plan to buy one? Let’s keep it simple, using this format: Will you buy it (yes/no/maybe) > Why, or why not? I’ll get started:

Yes > That thing is slick looking, and I could really use a new Surface. Pen looks sick too!

Your turn ...

Aye, I was about to pull the trigger on a SP4 as my old Surface Pro is getting a bit long in the tooth so I'll wait out for the new SP when it arrives. I extensively use Photoshop and the pen on a daily basis.

78Bandit

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
Had an SP2 and upgraded to an SP4 when it first came out. I would be all over the new SP if I didn't already have the SP4. As it is I may spring for the new pen and type cover in Burgundy just for a little more current look than the bright red I now have and also for the pen tilt support assuming that works on the SP4.

xtremez

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
No because I only got my Pro 4 last year and it's still working well. Excited cause the new accessories (announced and forth coming) are backward compatible so older devices not left behind.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
No, not that I think it isn't worth every penny people will spend on it but the specs don't seem like enough of a leap to upgrade from my SP4. I'll upgrade when the next one comes along as I always skip a generation.

eshy

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
They dropped the number and they should drop the word "Pro" from the name as well. Apple went too far with their MacBook Pro by only including Thunderbolt 3 ports but at least they included the port of the future.The new Surface is not future proof. Yes, I can use the Surface Connector to use the docking station I currently own but I can't use any of the TB3 docking stations out there (some are better, some are cheaper) not having these options available with the new Surface "Pro" is bad, especially when you consider it will probably be a couple of years before they release a redesign (not just a spec upgrade).TL;DR This is not a very pro device...

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
My SP3 is getting a bit old. I ordered a Eve V via Indiegogo. Supposedly they are going to start shipping the devices in a few weeks. Price was great ($900), 14 hour battery, fanless Kaby Lake processors in the Surface form factor. But same options in a Surface Pro along with LTE is tempting me. I am probably going to get this later in the year once it shows up at Best Buy since I have quite a bit of BB credit.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
They dropped the number and they should drop the word "Pro" from the name as well. Apple went too far with their MacBook Pro by only including Thunderbolt 3 ports but at least they included the port of the future.The new Surface is not future proof. Yes, I can use the Surface Connector to use the docking station I currently own but I can't use any of the TB3 docking stations out there (some are better, some are cheaper) not having these options available with the new Surface "Pro" is bad, especially when you consider it will probably be a couple of years before they release a redesign (not just a spec upgrade).TL;DR This is not a very pro device...

Right, so a Pro device should include something that would require an adapter to use 99% of the devices on the face of the planet?

That would be a very stupid iPad style move as the ONLY devices that use USB-C at the moment are phones.

ssgklu

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I hope there is a good trade in for a Surface Pro 3! I want a LTE model! I'm planning on upgrading when it is at a lower price point, which is how I buy all my PCs, on sale. I love it though, rounded edges, improved hinge, and did I mention, LTE?

ssgklu

May 29, 2014
Visit site

I could see a Surface 3 upgrade running Windows 10 S as "the new Surface" model. This is a Pro device. I think they wanted to get away from numbering devices as that puts a finite timeline that stands out IMHO. The product number x (Surface/iPad) was released x (even 2 years) years ago adds unnecessary age to a device.

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure why I should get this over the Surface Laptop ?
Surface Laptop has a bigger screen, much better keyboard and can be used in bed ( on the lap) . I know that tilt support in pen is not coming to Surface Laptop, but that's hardly a deal breaker for me.
Any other reason ?

Eric Tay

Dec 4, 2014
Visit site
I'm happy with my Surface 3 but my wife wants my Surface 3 to watch movies so I'm tempted by the entry-level Surface Pro + Alcantara Type Cover at less than USD1000.

Gerd Heinrich

May 2, 2017
Visit site
and why is LTE late?

So, the new Surface Pro is official! What do we think? Disappointed? Or excited? And most importantly, do you plan to buy one? Let’s keep it simple, using this format: Will you buy it (yes/no/maybe) > Why, or why not? I’ll get started:

Yes > That thing is slick looking, and I could really use a new Surface. Pen looks sick too!

Your turn ...

People will wait until LTE is available, so do I.
Please test real battery performance.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon