Are you buying the new Surface Pro or what?

hamphlet

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Not for me thanks. At this price I could knock up a much more effective desktop, possibly with a new Ryzen and still have money for a cheap tablet for all my tabletty needs.

LIEBER

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
Will I buy the Surface Pro? Probably not: I have the SP4, i7/16GB/512GB. To me, it looks like too little improvement compared with the one I own. Still, I'm curious...

* 50% increase in battery life... SP4 said 9 hours of video playback. But what is reality?
-- My first use of the SP4 in December 2015, the battery went from 100% to 15% in ca. 2 hours: I did what I do now -- participated in web discussion fora.
-- Since then, my experience is that *in real life*, the battery life has varied between 2-5 hours, depending on use, firmware upgrades, etc.
-- A couple of weeks ago, I had the *shocking* experience of "burning down" the battery from 100% to 20% in 45 minutes: I ran computing intensive Python scripts in rapid sequence.

* So: I'm curious as to the *real life* battery capacity. Of course, I like what I hear about "instant on", no battery leakage in sleep mode, etc. Again, I'm curious as to what testers find.

* I just stayed a few weeks abroad, renting an apartment with wi-fi. Wi-fi worked fine on my Lumia 950, but I was not able to get any decent connection with the SP4... if I opened Edge and typed in an url, perhaps 5 minutes later, the web page showed up... impossible to use. In a cafe across the street, the wi-fi worked fine also on the SP4. Any improvements with wi-fi? I'm curious about the LTE model.

* I may get hold of one of the new type covers -- I "hate" the plastic surface of the original type covers... after 5 minutes, it feels like my hands are sweating and sliding off the keyboard. But I don't need to upgrade my SP4 to get the keyboard.

* Pen... does the new pen work with SP4 -- and give 4096 levels of pressure sensitivity? Or does the improvement require some new processor in the SP (2017)?

* For an upgrade, I might also like to see 32GB RAM... OK, it would be monstrously expensive, so maybe not.
--
An alternative to me (running computing intensive programs) would be to have a "home" workstation and the possibility to remotely log into the workstation using some SP (2017) or something and just use the SP as a terminal/word processing tool. To have stable connection, the LTE version would probably be necessary... I am quite disillusioned wrt. wi-fi and the dream of stable connection.

devinlars

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
So, the new Surface Pro is official! What do we think? Disappointed? Or excited? And most importantly, do you plan to buy one? Let’s keep it simple, using this format: Will you buy it (yes/no/maybe) > Why, or why not? I’ll get started:

Yes > That thing is slick looking, and I could really use a new Surface. Pen looks sick too!

Your turn ...

ddn123

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
The most compelling aspect is the improved inking capabilities. Works good enough on my Surface 3. have not spent much time on my SP4 with a pen. Battery life, Thermal design also makes it compelling.

But the SP4 is still a great device. Why spend another $1000 when my Surface 3 and SP4 work well? Side note, son went from MacBook at school to a Dell XPS 13 this time last year. Headed to college. He did not like the SP4 because of the detachable type cover. Go figure.

Lots of people can be picky given all the available options.

Wevenhuis

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
So, the new Surface Pro is official! What do we think? Disappointed? Or excited? And most importantly, do you plan to buy one? Let’s keep it simple, using this format: Will you buy it (yes/no/maybe) > Why, or why not? I’ll get started:

Yes > That thing is slick looking, and I could really use a new Surface. Pen looks sick too!

Your turn ...

I'm excited. I think I'll wait until at least 2-3 months after official release to escape the first adopter hardware/software bugs and issues. I'm sure there will be some.

Three missing features I'm a boy disappointed about:
1. No USB C
2. No extra buttons on the surface own
3. No built in gps module

Wishes:
1. External power bank accessory for offgrid charging
2. Hot swappable removable battery
3. IP68 water/dust proof for the fanless core m3 and i5 models.

DCW1000

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
When I got a Surface Book about a year ago, I passed my SP3 along to a daughter whose old laptop was in its death throes. I believed had no need for a dedicated tablet any more. Turns out that a Surface Book is not ideal in some situations, so I may be in the market for something to replace the SP3. The battery life and upgraded processor on the 2017 Pro make it quite attractive. I think there is a better than even chance I will end up with one before the end of the year. The presence or absence of LTE doesn't make it or break it for me; If the need should arrive I can use my phone's hot spot.

I like the increased potential of the new pen and am glad it will be compatible with earlier models. Once the new drivers are available for the book, I will definitely get one of those. Too bad about the pocket clip, though. I hope the pen barrel is standard diameter so I can get a standard pocket clip from an office products store. I have seen people do that with the Apple pencil, which strikes me as seriously easy to misplace or lose if you don't fasten it to something.

JaimitoFrog

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
I don't need one, since I'm happy with SB. But the device looks very refined. I went to a store today to see the demo unit and compared it to SP4 next to it. I had a SP3 for over a year, loved it, and had bought a SP4 for my gf so I am familiar with SP4 as well. The curved edges are a nice touch. Weight is about the same by feel as SP4. The hinge opens more, and it is noticeable when compared side to side with SP4. The new pen was not there at the demo, and i didn't try inking on it. To me, the longer battery life compared to SP3 is significant, but I had an i7 SP3, so i doubt i7 SP will get 13hrs. The demo unit was i5, so it was fanless. In any case, the product is getting better every iteration, and with usb c adaptor that's coming out in fall, it should last quite a few years depending on what you do. I am considering buying the new pen to go with my SB and SS, once the software update supports it. Good refresh for SP line. Can't wait to see what they will unveil this fall.

L0n3N1nja

Dec 22, 2016
Visit site
Won't be getting it in the near future, Surface Pro 3 still works well and these things aren't cheap.

Plus I'd rather upgrade to something with more usb ports and USB C. They have stiff competition from others now.

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
No thanks on the new Surface Pro. Without Thunderbolt 3, this thing is dead on arrival. Proprietary charging, yuck. Try again in another 2 years Panos Panay, maybe next time you can get it right.

ruthietootie

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Won't be getting it in the near future, Surface Pro 3 still works well and these things aren't cheap.

Plus I'd rather upgrade to something with more usb ports and USB C. They have stiff competition from others now.

This is my exact position also. My SP3 is still working well. Battery life can be better, but that isn't a reason to upgrade now.

So I'll be holding on to my SP3 for a while longer

Aden Rossinni

Jul 8, 2016
Visit site
I wasn't expecting much because I thought they wouldn't reveal the Surface Phone, so...and I thought the Surface was just a slight refresh with the Alcantra type cover, but I was massively surprised with how this thing has turned out. Unlike some, I think the name should change. Glad they got rid of the numeral, i.e 3,4,5 etc. Just doesn't need it. Even the Pro I think they could have gotten rid of that and just called it Surface. It's the original and gave birth to all Surface devices, so...
I honestly couldn't see much to improve on the Pro 4 as I love it. Probably the only thing I could have picked on was the battery life, but even then I was pretty cool with my 7-9 hours of heavy use. The fact that they have improved it but not changed it in so many ways is just amazing - battery life, lighter, typecover, pen, chip...WTF! Microsoft is killing it and *uck the negative douchebags.
I would get this except I will be getting the Surface Laptop.

Gamely Lounges

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
13.5 battery life - THIRTEEN. AND. A. HALF. - and I'm like HOLY $#@ just take my money already.

I'm excited about battery life, too.
And, yes, I'm planning on getting an i5 with 8gb of ram,

But let's pause and reflect before we get too excited about the battery.

MS promised something like 9.5 hours of battery life on the SP4. My real-world experience was between 4-5 hours doing modest computing stuff. And that is after making a lot of effort to tweak my settings for best longest battery life over outright performance.

Based on my experience, I figure we should expect a similar ratio (bullsh1t marketing promises versus actual performance) in the new machine. So ... 13.5 / 2 = 6.75.

If I'm honest with myself, I find that to be a disappointing projection. But, as long as I can get close to 7 hours per charge I think I can live with that. If it turns out to be significantly less, then I'll be returning that thing for yet another refund!

Crossing my fingers. I really want to like the new machine.

Gamely Lounges

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm excited about battery life, too.
And, yes, I'm planning on getting an i5 with 8gb of ram,

But let's pause and reflect before we get too excited about the battery.

MS promised something like 9.5 hours of battery life on the SP4. My real-world experience was between 4-5 hours doing modest computing stuff. And that is after making a lot of effort to tweak my settings for best longest battery life over outright performance.

Based on my experience, I figure we should expect a similar ratio (bullsh1t marketing promises versus actual performance) in the new machine. So ... 13.5 / 2 = 6.75.

If I'm honest with myself, I find that to be a disappointing projection. But, as long as I can get close to 7 hours per charge I think I can live with that. If it turns out to be significantly less, then I'll be returning that thing for yet another refund!

Crossing my fingers. I really want to like the new machine.

Gamely Lounges

Yaa... I think this will be the deciding factor for me. I'm not that happy with my surface pro 4 battery life but if reports starting coming in that the Surface Pro can give at least 10 hours battery life without tweaking.. it would be very tempting.

rsprasad

May 24, 2017
Visit site
I will buy now. I love the battery life of 13 hours.

I will go for a I7 1TB Version to help me with my works. I hope it is very strong one since I am a Constructions guy.

Regards,

RSP:)

lupinesithlord

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Nope, not planning on it. I currently have a surface pro 4, not enough to make me switch from it. (besides still have a couple of payments left on it....:wink:

Your turn ...

abrichman

May 28, 2015
Visit site
I am intrigued. I had resigned myself to replace my SP2 by EoY with whatever me SP came out. Then the x360 Spectre 13 came out... Then the Surface Laptop... Now this new SP... I am very conflicted. It will likely come down to real world battery testing and if two Surface products both hit their promised marks, I'll probably go with the SL i5/256. If neither do, I'll probably go x360.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
No thanks on the new Surface Pro. Without Thunderbolt 3, this thing is dead on arrival. Proprietary charging, yuck. Try again in another 2 years Panos Panay, maybe next time you can get it right.

Lol, why does every tech geek in existence think usb-c matters to regular people?

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
No.
Because Microsoft hiked up the prices. I bought the i5/4GB SP3 almost at launch for 800 euros. The same configuration now costs 1200€. And for 1500€ for the i5/8GB...I'd rather buy the Spectre 360X for that price.
So yeah. Not happening.

I'm also very skeptical about the fanless i5 versions. The SP3 heats up... The SP5 without a fan... Hmm...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon