my new skin for my Surface Pro!

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Okay, I just ordered a new skin for my Surface Pro! My preference would've been to have the machine be burgundy like with the Surface Laptop. But this will suffice and it will protect my machine just like it has protected my Surface Pro 4 machines well.

After visiting the Microsoft Store, I decided to go with the burgundy. I thought the cobalt blue didn't look quite as good as in pictures. Hopefully the SP4 skin will fit the Surface Pro properly. The only things I worry about are the cameras and the ambient sensor aligning with the holes in the skin. If it doesn't fit, I guess I can apply it to my current SP4.

Surface Pro 4 back skin 05-28-17.jpg

wv0hsVY.jpg

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I get skins from 2 places: skinit.com and decalgirl.com

but this one came from decalgirl.com. I know decalgirl.com offers both glossy and matte. So I wanted glossy to try to semi-approximate the metal sheen of the Surface Laptop. If only Microsoft offer the Surface Pro machines in color too!!!

I sampled the burgundy from the trackpad. I figured that would be safer than doing it from the alcantara burgundy. But that meant the burgundy is darker since there are really 2 tones of burgundy going on with the Surface machines (one for the keys and trackpad and a lighter one for the body).

Looks really good so I can't wait for my Surface Pro to come in (preordered at the Microsoft Store in South Coast Plaza in Southern California).

and yes, calibration comes in handy. I use a SpyderPro 5 Pro.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Post some pics when you get it on. I'm curious to see if a surface pro 4 skin fits the new one...

I will. I just picked up the machine and will take pictures of the system clean first. I haven't lined up the skin but just from looking at the Surface Pro, everything should match.

Surprised at the new packaging. I kind of like the SP4 box more. Maybe I just hate shrinkwrapping in general because to me shrinkwrapping looks cheap.

convergent

May 20, 2017
Visit site
I will. I just picked up the machine and will take pictures of the system clean first. I haven't lined up the skin but just from looking at the Surface Pro, everything should match.

Surprised at the new packaging. I kind of like the SP4 box more. Maybe I just hate shrinkwrapping in general because to me shrinkwrapping looks cheap.

The new box they've learned from Apple... its so tight that the vacuum keeps the top from sliding off. I recall the video of the first guy to get one of the iPhones globally and the box was tight like that causing it to fly out and land on the sidewalk 3 seconds after he bought it. Probably the shortest life of a device before broken. I don't know what the point is in making them so tight like that. The new box also is about twice the size (depth) that is needed... just takes up space.

xtophe

Jun 11, 2017
Visit site
Looks nice !
Did you install protection on the sides as well ?
I want to get one for my new surface pro but I don't think the ones made for the SP4 will fit the sides of the device.
And I'd like to get it solely for protection, not interested in customizing the look of the SP. Was looking at things like :

Skinomi TechSkin - Surface Pro 4 Screen Protector (Surface Pro 2017) + Brushed Aluminum Full Body Skin / Front & Back Wrap Clear Film / Ultra HD and Anti-Bubble Shield

(as seen on Amazon), but :
1) shipment to France costs another 12 €
2) not sure about side protections
3) is it really compatible with SP 2017?

I you ever have any links for online stores making skins specially crafted for the SP 2017, please let me know.
Thanks !
PS : Not sure I'd use the side protections though, just to know...

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
at the time I shopped, the new Surface Pro didn't exist. I don't know if my sites ever updated for it. But the Surface Pro 4 skin fits well.

I don't use the side protections. They're still in a drawer. I never liked the look of them when I used it on my Surface Pro 2 or Surface Pro 4 machines so I left it off the new Surface Pro.

I've used Skinomi for a phone. Never tried it for the Surface Pro machines. I had a very difficult time installing Skinomi on the phone. I don't know if it's the same material for the Surface Pro as it is for a phone. But I ended up throwing away the Skinomi for my phone. Heat affected the Skinomi. Again, I don't know if the material is different between phone and tablet/computer.

convergent

May 20, 2017
Visit site
I do like the idea of matching the SP color to the keyboard... nice idea. But I wonder what the impact of these is on cooling; with the nSP being passively cooled you are insulating the primary heat sink.

dirtyvu

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
I do like the idea of matching the SP color to the keyboard... nice idea. But I wonder what the impact of these is on cooling; with the nSP being passively cooled you are insulating the primary heat sink.
Heat is not coming out through the metal. That is an awful method to transfer heat. Heat comes out the vents.

convergent

May 20, 2017
Visit site
Heat is not coming out through the metal. That is an awful method to transfer heat. Heat comes out the vents.

You understand that there is no fan on the i5, correct? The metal case is a big heat sink and does transfer much of the heat. There is nothing directing air out of the vents. Even on the ones with a fan, the fact that the back gets warm/hot means that it is transferring heat.

Henrik Becker

Jul 12, 2017
Visit site
That's an interesting issue you've raised here.

I ordered a silver skin from ebay, for the simple reason I can't have cartoons on my nSP (it's what I use for my consultancy work). I was tempted to get a Batman skin, tough...

Anyone seen a skin in the Cobalt Blue of the type cover? I'd go for that... IF the heat is not an issue.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
You understand that there is no fan on the i5, correct? The metal case is a big heat sink and does transfer much of the heat. There is nothing directing air out of the vents. Even on the ones with a fan, the fact that the back gets warm/hot means that it is transferring heat.

wow, you need to talk to some engineers. I will have to brace you for the fact that they may laugh at you. the heat sink is not the external case. the heat sink is within the Surface Pro. It still comes out vents

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Very nice!
Can you share the color code? I would like to order a solid burgundy color from decagirl or skinit

Sorry for the late reply. Been really busy lately.

This is the hex color I used for the burgundy. 642e31

RGB is 100, 46, 49
CMYK is 40, 81, 67, 47

The color may be too close to brown for some people. So in that case, just boost up the red. Red will add more punch to the color anyway.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss