Upgrade from Pro 4?

overboard08

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
So, for starters, I'm really torn between the Laptop and the Pro.

I'm active duty doing my masters online, and I have the Pro 4 (i5/4GB RAM). For the 16 months I've had the device (prior to starting my masters online), the specs have fit my needs perfectly. Light Edge use (3-4 tabs at a time), light Office use (Word, maybe PowerPoint at the same time at the most), DrawBoard PDF -- usually light work. Steam runs great on it, and I'm mostly playing old school computer games like StarCraft, Homeworld, Age of Empires II, stuff like that. Not very taxing. But now with my masters, I'm running Edge (10-12 tabs at a time), multiple Office Word docs, PPT presentations, DrawBoard PDF and OneNote 2016 simultaneously and this thing is HURTIN.

Form factor conversation aside, would it be worth to go Pro (2017) from Pro 4 for the bump in specs? Obviously future proof myself a little better with at least i5/8GB RAM? Is Kaby Lake all it's cracked up to be? Thanks all!

v/r
BMK
From Surface Pro 4

convergent

May 20, 2017
Visit site
I think 4GB to 8GB of RAM may help you... processor not withstanding. The biggest thing Kaby Lake will noticeably give you is a lot more battery life.

GG002

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Agree with @convergent. 4GB is really low in today's busy world. It's good enough for light work, like you did before, but anything, even just a few additional tabs, will be problematic. I knew I'd be taxing it heavily, so when I bought my SP3, my base specs were the one with at least 8GB of RAM. But an i7 is overkill for what you do, I'm certain.

overboard08

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I wasn't planning on i7, way too much horsepower for me. Even gaming, that'd be too much. Thanks for the feedback guys!

Have you guys been leaning towards Surface Pro (2017) or Laptop?

v/r
BMK
From Surface Pro 4

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
The laptop shouldn't be on your radar, if it is I would stick with your Surface Pro 4.

A couple of options for your replacement.

1. Surface Book, have you considered this one? You can still put it in tabletmode and it has a larger screen.
2. The X1 Carbon series, Lenovo Thinkpads have some of the best keyboards. Just a thought :) I believe the X1 5th Generations has the Kabby lake processor. :)

GG002

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I wasn't planning on i7, way too much horsepower for me. Even gaming, that'd be too much. Thanks for the feedback guys!

v/r
BMK
From Surface Pro 4

Although I mostly use my SP3 in laptop mode, there are weekly occasions when I find myself flip the type cover back and do non-desktop work, or whip out the pen and jot things down, alternatively do some light art. I think I'd miss the flexibility with the Surface Laptop, if you ask me. And you're also used to this, so I assume you'd feel similarly.

falcon304

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
I think it comes down to whether you write/draw a lot on the Pro. If yes, get the new Pro, if not, get the Laptop. And as others have said, getting a model with 8GB of RAM will likely be the biggest spec bump for you.

convergent

May 20, 2017
Visit site

v/r
BMK
From Surface Pro 4

I personally have no interest in the Laptop for several reasons.
- tablet mode... light, not with a folded over keyboard
- as a note taking device with the pen
- 12" device... its the prefect size on a plane's tray table
- use during plane takeoff/landing (possibly)

overboard08

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I was actually thinking about Surface Book for a while (my brain always goes to 'what if...') but when the Laptop was announced I was like "holy cow this may be more up my alley." Surface Book was just priced outside my budget for the specs it had -- hence why I went Pro 4. Thanks for the input!

convergent

May 20, 2017
Visit site
I was actually thinking about Surface Book for a while (my brain always goes to 'what if...') but when the Laptop was announced I was like "holy cow this may be more up my alley." Surface Book was just priced outside my budget for the specs it had -- hence why I went Pro 4. Thanks for the input!

I have considered a Surface Book refurb as an alternative. The pricing on those for i5, 8G, 256G with graphics accelerator is $1489, which is in the same range as a comparable new Surface Pro. I was surprised that in tablet mode, the Surface Book is no lighter than Surface Pro even though its much larger display. While I absolutely love the Surface Book... is a great machine... the bullets I made a couple of posts back favor the Surface Pro. So I am going that route.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium