First things to do with "new" surface pro 4

revtech

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hello, I'm a first time surface user, but not unfamiliar with tech. I have a "new" surface pro 4 bundle coming today (ebay), although I have my doubts that it is "new" as listed given the price. The seller seems to have a good amount of positive feedback so I'm taking the chance.

So I'm asking for advice on what might be some of the first things I should do in case it's been "used" . . . Is there such a thing as complete wipe, factory reset, or fresh install of OS, or what else might you suggest?

Thank you for any help you are willing to offer

revtech

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Well, its here, went through set-up and its updating now. Despite the cautions I had read this appears to be brand new, in original box, with original protective films, etc. Pen included, and keyboard is the 'better' one for surface 4, also seemingly brand new with all packaging appearing to be original and unopened.

This certainly is one beautiful piece of hardware! One question comes to mind as I'm looking at it, are there issues with the type cover keys directly rubbing on the screen and damaging it? Do I need a screen protector (I hate them) or is the glass hard enough that I won't need one?

Wish I didn't have a meeting tonight ;-)

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
if there's any suspicion that it's not a new machine, definitely do factory reset.

You're going to be spending a lot of time updating that Surface Pro 4 to the latest Windows 10 build. The image they use for Surface Pro 4 machines is pretty old and requires significant updating.

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
Yeah not a bad idea to make sure you start fresh as stated above and do a reset on the device. Sure, there's a bit of updating with it but nothing too major. Then you know you have something completely fresh coming.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Don't worry about keys leaving imprints on the screen. Boy do I remember those days with my older laptops!

The screen is covered with Gorilla Glass and is pretty darn durable. Just use a microfiber cloth and everything wipes away. I've never used a screen protector on any of my Surface machines and none of them have ever developed scratches on the glass (can't say the same thing about the body which is the reason I use skins for the outer surface).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs