Hello, I'm a first time surface user, but not unfamiliar with tech. I have a "new" surface pro 4 bundle coming today (ebay), although I have my doubts that it is "new" as listed given the price. The seller seems to have a good amount of positive feedback so I'm taking the chance.

So I'm asking for advice on what might be some of the first things I should do in case it's been "used" . . . Is there such a thing as complete wipe, factory reset, or fresh install of OS, or what else might you suggest?

Thank you for any help you are willing to offer
    06-06-2017 08:54 AM
    Something weird happened with my SP4, so I'm wondering the same thing!
    06-06-2017 09:25 AM
    Something weird happened with my SP4, so I'm wondering the same thing!
    For your case, if something weird is happening, I would recommend this. I may end up doing the same thing but I was asking the community if there was anything else they'd do with a "used" one from ebay or if this is sufficient.
    https://forums.windowscentral.com/e?...token=s6j0Tib1
    06-06-2017 09:45 AM
    Well, its here, went through set-up and its updating now. Despite the cautions I had read this appears to be brand new, in original box, with original protective films, etc. Pen included, and keyboard is the 'better' one for surface 4, also seemingly brand new with all packaging appearing to be original and unopened.

This certainly is one beautiful piece of hardware! One question comes to mind as I'm looking at it, are there issues with the type cover keys directly rubbing on the screen and damaging it? Do I need a screen protector (I hate them) or is the glass hard enough that I won't need one?

Wish I didn't have a meeting tonight ;-)
    06-06-2017 01:12 PM
    if there's any suspicion that it's not a new machine, definitely do factory reset.

You're going to be spending a lot of time updating that Surface Pro 4 to the latest Windows 10 build. The image they use for Surface Pro 4 machines is pretty old and requires significant updating.
    revtech likes this.
    06-06-2017 03:29 PM
    Yeah not a bad idea to make sure you start fresh as stated above and do a reset on the device. Sure, there's a bit of updating with it but nothing too major. Then you know you have something completely fresh coming.
    revtech likes this.
    06-07-2017 02:03 PM
    Don't worry about keys leaving imprints on the screen. Boy do I remember those days with my older laptops!

The screen is covered with Gorilla Glass and is pretty darn durable. Just use a microfiber cloth and everything wipes away. I've never used a screen protector on any of my Surface machines and none of them have ever developed scratches on the glass (can't say the same thing about the body which is the reason I use skins for the outer surface).
    revtech likes this.
    06-08-2017 02:23 PM