What is a good alternate to the Surface Pro?

lbeezy2188

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I want a Surface Pro but I think it's slightly overpriced. Is there any other devices out there with similar specs that I can get more bang for the buck?

falcon304

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
I really like the fact that you can take the Elite x2 apart, so another vote for that. The Lenovo Miix 720 seems to have all the bells and whistles too.

GG002

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I, for one, am very curious to see how Eve V will stack up against SP! Eve V seems like a ruddy nice tablet, although sceptical about the choice of CPUs (seems like they're of the Y-variant and not U?).

anon(5415472)

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I, for one, am very curious to see how Eve V will stack up against SP! Eve V seems like a ruddy nice tablet, although sceptical about the choice of CPUs (seems like they're of the Y-variant and not U?).

I was really tempted to get into this during its indiegogo run but was scared off by various failing indiegogo and kickstarter projects failing at that time. I didn't know that Intel and MS was supporting the effort then, oh well. Between the surface pro and the Eve V, I'll still stick with the surface pro for the battery life and tilt detection, but damn the Eve V includes the bluetooth keyboard, antireflective screen coating, 2 usb-a ports and a usb-c port with thunderbolt 3 support. Holy Heavens, This thing can run an external GPU!!! The keyboard is also a bluetooth one so you don't need MS's discontinued surface cover bluetooth adapter.

Shrave

Jun 5, 2017
Visit site
I'm going to stay away from the Eve V. Too many question marks. When will I actually get one? What is their customer service like? Etc.

convergent

May 20, 2017
Visit site
I would not trust a startup/unknown new device for my computer, as the stakes are too high. I have looked hard at all the alternatives and decided to just get the Surface Pro. But the one I considered the most because it was a lot less expensive and came very close on most of the important factors was the Acer Switch Alpha 12. Its about half the price of the Surface Pro. Features it has are fanless design, even for i7; display and performance that is compatible to the Surface Pro 4 line; solid keyboard cover; and USB-C ports if that is your thing. Its battery life is more on par with the Surface Pro 4 than the new one; and its slightly heavier. But otherwise its a compatible machine. I ruled out all the other alternatives because they were similar price to the Surface Book, and I'd rather have the original.

GG002

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Obviously there are risks with new or startup companies, and I'm not saying I would buy the Eve V, but out of any candidates that are not established in the field, Eve seems to have somewhat an understanding of what to do. I mean, I was among the first to jump on the Surface bandwagon, with the Surface RT, which was also a huge risk, even coming from Microsoft. So I don't think Eve V could be any worse or of any bigger risk.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I think when people see the bulging surface of the Eve V in person, it will change their mind. That bulge doesn't show well in pictures. People like a machine that sits perfectly flat on a surface.

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Saw an ad on TV tonight for what I assumed was a Surface until I actually found out was an Asus Transformer 3 Pro at the end. I've been looking to upgrade my Surface Pro 2 to a possibly a Surface Pro 4 but the Asus looks gorgeous plus it also has usb-c etc too

GG002

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I think when people see the bulging surface of the Eve V in person, it will change their mind. That bulge doesn't show well in pictures. People like a machine that sits perfectly flat on a surface.

With the keyboard cover attached and flipped back, I don't think there will be a lot of problems. I also never put down my SP3 with its bare back on a surface (no pun) lest there be scratches. I always lay it down with the type cover flipped back. But let's talk bulge and stuff in mobile phones. Now that's terrible, and almost all phones have them nowadays. My 950XL wobbles like mad when I use it lying down.

L0n3N1nja

Dec 22, 2016
Visit site
Acer probably has the cheapest option, but it weighs more and the pen/screen won't be as nice.

Asus, HP, Dell, and Lenovo all have similar devices with a built in kickstand. Samsung and Huawei have options without a built in kick stand because their keyboard is a folio with built in stand.

There are a lot if devices out there now thanks to Microsoft's efforts to create a new segment of devices.

convergent

May 20, 2017
Visit site
Acer probably has the cheapest option, but it weighs more and the pen/screen won't be as nice.

Asus, HP, Dell, and Lenovo all have similar devices with a built in kickstand. Samsung and Huawei have options without a built in kick stand because their keyboard is a folio with built in stand.

There are a lot if devices out there now thanks to Microsoft's efforts to create a new segment of devices.

Yes, Microsoft has established a great market with choices in different price ranges and capabilities. This is why I think Microsoft is making a big comeback vs. Apple... and I know why I am coming back. The competition on the Windows side is really driving some innovation and choice. If you don't like the Surface features, you can pick an alternative. With Apple, you have only one game in town.

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
The Eve V is definitely interesting but like others have said I'm not sure how reliable something like this could be, it is the first device they ever made too so...

mymarcio

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
I want a Surface Pro but I think it's slightly overpriced. Is there any other devices out there with similar specs that I can get more bang for the buck?

I would suggest looking at Surface Pro 3 Refurbished. I just got one for my aunts business and to be honest it seems to run faster than my Surface Pro 3 (non-refurbished, that was bought about release.)

I got her the i7 processor, 8gb memory, 512GB SSD for just $699.

It's more than she needs and brought a pen, charger. the total came to 800 with a keyboard and after taxes.

convergent

May 20, 2017
Visit site
To me the x360 is a different beast... doesn't have a removable keyboard. There are a ton of products that have fold over keyboards, but they are much heavier when used as a tablet. I would put them more in the category of the Surface Book; but the SB has an advantage of still being able to remove the keyboard.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05