08-08-2017 02:02 PM
86 1234
tools
    I was all in on Qi for quite some time... But Quick Charge is really coming on and I'll opt for the new stupid fast even with a wire.

For tablets, the batteries are getting so large that Qi would not keep up really. I was always super impressed with my Nokia 2520 and how the 8120 mAh battery would charge 80% in an hour. I'm hoping the Type C on the Surbook will do similar even though the battery is larger at 10,000 mAh.
    06-26-2017 09:02 PM
    I've read stories that wireless charing is getting faster. They're also testing the technology on electric cars.

On work days I typically use the usb c fastcharing. At night I leave my phone to charge overnight on wirless charging on the night stand. Set it and forget it. Unfortuanately, as far as I know no wirless charging is supported for laptops or tablets to date with larger battery capacity, although I do see it fit in my workflow for an overnight charge.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    06-27-2017 05:30 AM
    Every time I keep seeing this thread in the list with new posts, I have an urge to answer the original question with something like, "Go to Disneyworld".
    RumoredNow likes this.
    06-27-2017 10:53 AM
    Anyone else just want all their devices to be charged by the same cord? I currently have 6 devices in the house that charge by USB C...extremely convenient. Forget all the other uses of USB C!
    RumoredNow and EliteMikes like this.
    06-27-2017 07:09 PM
    Anyone else just want all their devices to be charged by the same cord? I currently have 6 devices in the house that charge by USB C...extremely convenient. Forget all the other uses of USB C!
    Completely agree. I am currently using 3 different types of cables to charge my devices. Micro USB, USB C, and Apple Lightning. Quite annoying.
    06-30-2017 12:49 PM
    Apple Lightning. Quite annoying.
    06-30-2017 08:09 PM
    Hahahah the real question for me would be "What would I do with USB-C?". The anwser... plug everything I have into a dongle so it will work on USB-C...
    breaker119 likes this.
    07-02-2017 02:57 PM
    Once Microsoft release their Surface Connect to USB C adapter there will be even less to complain about. The only issue then will be the lack of Thunderbolt 3. For those who need TB3, it's lack is a legitimate issue. To you, Microsoft would just say "buy something else that has TB3 instead of a Surface Pro". You're catered to in the Windows ecosystem. You're a small segment of the market so not everyone has to cater to you. Microsoft has catered to the vast majority of those who are likely to buy a SP and the rest can just look elsewhere. Microsoft are happy for you to buy a Windows machine from an OEM.
    07-03-2017 11:00 AM
    That's actually one of the issues Microsoft addressed in their explanation of why the Surface Pro doesn't use USB C. It certainly would be convenient but an SP needs a lot more power than a phone but the sweaty masses don't know that. They would simply plug their phone charger into an SP and wonder why it wasn't charging properly... then blame Microsoft.
    Drael646464 and breaker119 like this.
    07-03-2017 11:03 AM
    There has been a new standard announced by Intel so, even if the Pro did include the port, it would then be old.

I have one usb thumb drive which, at the other end, has a usb 3 port. I grabbed one for the very, very rare moments that I might need it. I don't.

I'm honestly feel that a great big chunk of the population just love to sound cool and jump on the bandwagon! OH MY GOSH it doesn't feature a port that I have no use for! By the time USB C hits the absolute mainstream, just like 4k televisions (still selling the 1080p units) the Surface Pro 7 will be here and a new port released.

Try not to get taken in with the marketing bull (If you can).
    I'm going to need a source on that. Intel has not announced any new standard that would replace/compete USB 3.1 Gen2. Intel DID say they will make it royalty free in 2018 and will also include it in their next chips. There is mo marketing bull; in fact, I think it could use more marketing so less misinformation like this can be avoided.

If anyone is getting to sound cool, it's people like you ripping on others wanting the ONLY port that go faster than realistically USB 2.0. That USB3.0 Micro-B port common on external hard drives is on a few Android phones; it's the only way out there to do faster than USB2.0. But that's such a strange comparison, because it came from the same standard series and consortium company USB-IF!

I'm still not sure what this other standard is you bring up again at the end. Even the official DisplayPort standard adopted USB-C as one of its official ports; and USB 3.1 adopted DisplayPort as its official display protocol. The industry has anointed this standard and port as the future. Adoption rates are going to be through the roof when that next Intel CPU family doesn't have a USB 3.0 controller, but a 3.1 Gen2 controller.
    07-03-2017 11:04 AM
    That's actually one of the issues Microsoft addressed in their explanation of why the Surface Pro doesn't use USB C. It certainly would be convenient but an SP needs a lot more power than a phone but the sweaty masses don't know that. They would simply plug their phone charger into an SP and wonder why it wasn't charging properly... then blame Microsoft.
    I don't even buy Microsoft's position on that. USB-PD for USB 3.1 was created just for that. It can push out to 100 watts. USB chargers are labeled with how much power they can push. Also, Microsoft still should have that Windows 10 convention to alert a user when a slow charging source is used.
    07-03-2017 11:08 AM
    In 2015 Microsoft launch the 950 XL with usb C port; just for that, whatever they argue now for not use it for new hardware has nos sense.
    This is a huge marketing error. Il had waited the Samsung S8 because of its USB C and had bought a HP Spectre 360 for the same reason, The main reason ? not have to find right connection position for any cable, and I ha bought on amazon lots of adaptors working perfectly
    07-03-2017 11:38 AM
    I have a Type-C port on my Pixel. Beyond that given time things will start to use Type-C over what most people are familiar with. Such is evolution. There'll probably be a new one out, as well
    I'm simply not going to purchase it without a Thunderbolt 3 USB Type C port. It's so not worth the upgrade to my Surface Pro 2 without that.
    07-03-2017 11:50 AM
    I was waiting and hoping that the Surface Pro 5 would have USB-C, preferably Thunderbolt 3. Given that there isn't a single 2-in-1 detachable running Windows 10 with this port on the market, I am done with Windows as a whole. After owning 7 Windows Phones over the last few years, I finally went to iPhone 7 Plus. Since Microsoft doesn't seem to care at all about advancing the technology of their products, I am done. I haven't owned a PC for a year now, and don't plan to ever again after the Surface Pro 5 debacle. Panos Panay just doesn't get it, charging a huge price premium for a subpar device. He has really taken Microsoft in the complete wrong direction with hardware.
    07-03-2017 12:39 PM
    I have a Type-C port on my Pixel. Beyond that given time things will start to use Type-C over what most people are familiar with. Such is evolution. There'll probably be a new one out, as well
    Given the recent hardware refresh cycle, don't expect a new Surface with USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 for at least another 18 months, maybe even longer. If ever, actually. Time to move on to an Apple. At least they give you multiple Thunderbolt 3 ports. Just wish they had a 2-in-1 detachable.
    07-03-2017 12:42 PM
    I'm going to need a source on that. Intel has not announced any new standard that would replace/compete USB 3.1 Gen2. Intel DID say they will make it royalty free in 2018 and will also include it in their next chips. There is mo marketing bull;

If anyone is getting to sound cool, it's people like you ripping on others wanting the ONLY port that go faster than realistically USB 2.0.

Peter... I may have used the wrong type of word there:

"Intel also revealed plans to integrate Thunderbolt 3 into its future CPUs, but it didn't provide a timeline as to when. The all-in-one design will take up less space on a Mac or PC's logic board, and reduce power consumption by eliminating the need for a standalone Thunderbolt controller.
    “Apple and Intel have collaborated on Thunderbolt from the beginning, and as the industry leader in its adoption, we applaud Intel’s efforts to integrate Thunderbolt technology into its CPUs and open it up to the rest of the industry,” said Dan Riccio, Apple’s senior vice president of Hardware Engineering.

Intel said Thunderbolt 3 built into the processor could pave the way for thinner and lighter devices, although the current Thunderbolt 3 controller used in Apple's latest MacBook Pro has a package size of 10.7mm×10.7mm, so any logic board space saved would likely be negligible. "

Basically whatever we had just before THE Surface Pro arrived it'll soon change. Hence be old and that's how the marketing will spin it.

As it stands you can read the other posts and it's basically all currently marketing bull to sell x and y. That's what it'll always be. Sure, of course, we do get speed boosts ever so often but by the time USB C really hits the mainstream another new port will be announced. The cycle continues, tech sites keep on stating the same things and the consumer laps all of it up believing everything they read. The posts here, plus on other pages, state that it's nowhere near being the mainstream.

I have a USB C port on my 950 and the only thing it has meant is having to buy another new cable. Do I prefer it? YES. Do 'I' need it? Not really. Basically I'd like the port on every single device. Honest. But right now I have 1 thumb drive just in case. It is, due to this, a shame that the Surface Pro has had to have had quite a bit of flack for missing the port.

P.s. At no point am I trying to sound cool.
    07-03-2017 02:42 PM
    Given the recent hardware refresh cycle, don't expect a new Surface with USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 for at least another 18 months, maybe even longer. If ever, actually. Time to move on to an Apple. At least they give you multiple Thunderbolt 3 ports. Just wish they had a 2-in-1 detachable.
    You'd spend $$$$ just to gain one port? Isn't usb 3.1 enough? Many of the artists, the designers, the video editors, the music producers, will just go ahead and buy a Surface Pro regardless of the port. I honestly think, seeing as you've already moved to a mac, that you probably wouldn't have purchased the Surface anyway due to 'windows'.
    07-03-2017 02:44 PM
    Peter... I may have used the wrong type of word there:

"Intel also revealed plans to integrate Thunderbolt 3 into its future CPUs, but it didn't provide a timeline as to when. The all-in-one design will take up less space on a Mac or PC's logic board, and reduce power consumption by eliminating the need for a standalone Thunderbolt controller.
    “Apple and Intel have collaborated on Thunderbolt from the beginning, and as the industry leader in its adoption, we applaud Intel’s efforts to integrate Thunderbolt technology into its CPUs and open it up to the rest of the industry,” said Dan Riccio, Apple’s senior vice president of Hardware Engineering.

Intel said Thunderbolt 3 built into the processor could pave the way for thinner and lighter devices, although the current Thunderbolt 3 controller used in Apple's latest MacBook Pro has a package size of 10.7mm×10.7mm, so any logic board space saved would likely be negligible. "

Basically whatever we had just before THE Surface Pro arrived it'll soon change. Hence be old and that's how the marketing will spin it.

As it stands you can read the other posts and it's basically all currently marketing bull to sell x and y. That's what it'll always be. Sure, of course, we do get speed boosts ever so often but by the time USB C really hits the mainstream another new port will be announced. The cycle continues, tech sites keep on stating the same things and the consumer laps all of it up believing everything they read. The posts here, plus on other pages, state that it's nowhere near being the mainstream.

I have a USB C port on my 950 and the only thing it has meant is having to buy another new cable. Do I prefer it? YES. Do 'I' need it? Not really. Basically I'd like the port on every single device. Honest. But right now I have 1 thumb drive just in case. It is, due to this, a shame that the Surface Pro has had to have had quite a bit of flack for missing the port.

P.s. At no point am I trying to sound cool.
    Yeah, well, neither are the rest of us wanting Thunderbolt 3 in our tablets.

By the time USB-C gets adopted another one will be out? That's a major assumption that I disagree with. It's here to stay based on ask the companies that have jumped on it and that it goes up to 10gbps while still being backwards compatible with an adapter(f the tablet manufacturer didn't build in both ports)

And they should receive flack for it. Their competition is putting it in, and Microsoft even put it in their own phones. It is a weird disconnect for them to omit it on a professional device
    07-03-2017 03:26 PM
    I'll get by without it, it's not a deal breaker. But I would really like USB-C & TB3, I feel it would increase the convenience of the Surface Pro.

My use cases, in order of importance, are: 1. Connecting external SSD for storing and editing (in place) my GoPro videos. 2. A common charging port between my phone, Surface, and other laptops (e.g. at work where others use USB-C chargers). 3. A common docking system. I love the single cable docking provided by the Surface Connect port, but at home I share a desk with my wife who has a Toshiba laptop and at work with people who have MacBook Pros & Dells - all have USB-C and not Surface Connect. 4. If I had TB3 I'd get an external GPU which would cover all my gaming needs and make the surface my true 'one device'.
    07-03-2017 05:03 PM
    You'd spend $$$$ just to gain one port? Isn't usb 3.1 enough? Many of the artists, the designers, the video editors, the music producers, will just go ahead and buy a Surface Pro regardless of the port. I honestly think, seeing as you've already moved to a mac, that you probably wouldn't have purchased the Surface anyway due to 'windows'.
    My father has a video production business. All of the video editing gear and storage devices use Thunderbolt 3. Surface is 100% useless in the video production industry. So no, video editors will not buy any Surface device, because it simply won't work for them.
    07-03-2017 05:40 PM
    For a 2-in-1 you need a touch interface first. Last I checked, MacOS still doesn't have one.

Sent from my Elite x3 on mTalk
    07-03-2017 06:01 PM
    Despite not having a need for USB-C yet I still find it odd for them to choose a Mini-DP over USB-C.

I mean USB-C can serve many purposes including that of the Mini-DP but not the other way around.

Truly an odd choice - But not a deal breaker hence my purchase of a Surface Book with Performance Base.
    07-03-2017 07:13 PM
    Well the problem is there is the internal eMMC disk is 150 mbps or so, like all eMMC. It seems to run a bit faster copying over usb 3.1 but it would need to be capable of more than 400 mbps to take advantage of 3.1 - and that's a great deal of the problem with 3.1 as a standard - for disk copies, both ends need to be SSD fast or greater.

It's really only good ATM, for 1) wired networking 2) video, or as you point out 3) Charging (although I've been using wireless because its less hassle anyway)
    As of today I have not updated from my HP Elitebook 8560W which has USB 3.0. I do a lot of IT support work for clients and need to at times copy HDD images so fast speed is of essence to me. The new HP Z-Books are my likely route forward with Thunderbolt. However as I have an Advanced docking station, I'll likely go with a Z-book 15 G2 as it is compatible The G3 does not have the docking connector). So no USB-C ports there.

That being said, I have to say IMHO the main reason I would prefer to have a USB-C port on a PC is the FLEXIBILITY; of charging, eGPU, and high-speed data. And lets not forget the TWO KEY IMPROVEMENTS for devices... REVERSIBLE CONNECTION and a SECURE CONNECTION vs micro-USB. I have lost count the number of micro-USB cables I have replaced due to sloppy connections.
    07-03-2017 08:01 PM
    My father has a video production business. All of the video editing gear and storage devices use Thunderbolt 3. Surface is 100% useless in the video production industry. So no, video editors will not buy any Surface device, because it simply won't work for them.
    So don't buy a Surface. There are plenty of other Windows machines that do support Thunderbolt 3 but you have chosen to ignore them because "Windows". You have greater issues than just the fact that Microsoft chose not to include a TB3 port on the latest Surface devices.
    07-03-2017 08:43 PM
    I also have nothing that requires USC-C, so really I couldn't care less.
    07-03-2017 08:48 PM
86 1234