Surface book = ultimate surface pro?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Surface Book is laptop first, tablet second. It's not meant to be in tablet mode all the time.

Surface Pro is tablet first, laptop second. It's kickstand design is less suited for uneven surfaces and other situations, but can exist and function fully as a tablet.

anon(10237065)

May 12, 2017
Visit site
Well don't forget Surface Book is getting quite old now (yes, there's the performance base, but the whole idea of it is the same as before) and it might be a sign of what's coming in the future. Probably they're going to change the whole marketing behind the SB in the next version, something like the ultimate laptop because of dGPU? Or Book might be discontinued as we now have "the perfect Pro" and Laptop?

We have to wait and see!

convergent

May 20, 2017
Visit site
The are very different.

- larger display / tablet
- tablet mode - much less battery life
- tablet mode - no kickstand
- tablet mode - no ports
- laptop mode - dedicate GPU

They are quite different machines and I don't see why they would not continue the SB.

kodos78

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
It would be nice if they could figure out how to get a Quad Core processor in the Surface Book somehow. Not sure how they would pull that off given the thermal constraints of the QC Core CPUs, but that would be a nice differentiator between Surface Laptop and Surface Book. Microsoft doesn't have anything that quite matches the MacBook Pros (15").

That's why I have a ThinkPad P50 in addition to my Surface Pro (2017).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720