Surface Pro Shutting Down or Going To Sleep

Peterh56

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
We have two of the new Surface Pro's i5 8Gb models.

Seem to have this problem were they both randomly shut down or go to sleep in the middle of doing something. Not sure if it is off or sleep.

After a press of the on button get the white 4 square windows logo and then the surface goes straight back to where it was when it switched off.

These are brand new fresh install and all updated.

Any ideas?

antkowiak

Jun 20, 2017
Visit site

Seem to have this problem were they both randomly shut down or go to sleep in the middle of doing something. Not sure if it is off or sleep.

After a press of the on button get the white 4 square windows logo and then the surface goes straight back to where it was when it switched off.

Any ideas?

It is happening to me too. The latest time was when I was even in the middle of typing! So frustrating. I have contacted support, and so far they've told me to try reinstalling drivers or factory resetting the device. The thing is brand new. (I also have the 256/8gb/i5 version).

I look at Event Viewer "Windows Logs" -> "System", and sometimes after this happens it says that it was a "Sleep":

>>>>> The system is entering sleep. Sleep Reason: Application API

And other times it says that it is entering "Connected Standby":

>>>>> "The system is entering connected standby Reason: Idle Timeout."

Last edited:

anon(5327127)

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Just in case: There's an issue, with Windows 10, on many machines where it ignores the settings that you've created UNTIL you change them in the older power settings section of Windows. Change the sleep time in there and maybe that 'might' help. This isn't what you have but it's worth a shot.

mato4279

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
Hello guys, just got my new Surface Pro (2017, Core M3 model) four days ago and this already happened to me two times. It seems the device is going to hibernate - itself, and after i try to power it back on there is a delay like 4 seconds. After this it boots up and the MS logo appears on screen.

antkowiak

Jun 20, 2017
Visit site
I've posted an extensive write-up about everything I know about the power issues on the new surface pro on reddit. There seem to be a lot of people complaining about this...

https://www.reddit.com/r/Surface/comments/6i292f/suspendpoweroff_at_random_surface_pro_2017_i5/

Yep, I have the same exact issue with my surface pro 256/8/i5 with the keyboard cover. It is annoying the heck out of me with how it is putting itself to sleep all the time. Even when I am in the middle of typing sometimes! Seems like it is more likely to happen after a real reboot, and then it seems less likely to happen a subsequent time. (I think. There doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason for why it is happening. It probably has happened 8 or 10 times to me so far since I got it last week.) I have set all my power options to turn off/sleep to "NEVER" and I disabled the checkbox to "save me power when my device knows I am away." Doesn't seem to make any difference. I see 2 different scenarios in my event log for this. One is when it puts it to sleep, and another time is when it puts itself into "connected standby". Here are the two kinds of "Events" and "Reasons" that I am getting:
Information 6/18/2017 11:08:46 AM Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power 506 (157) "The system is entering connected standby Reason: Idle Timeout."
Information 6/19/2017 8:35:41 PM Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power 42 (64) "The system is entering sleep. Sleep Reason: Application API"
Note #1 : The reason the display brightness is changing by itself (even if you have it set not to) is because of some intel thing called "DPST" and you can turn it off with a registry setting (although it may not be straight forward, since the setting for it is just one bit in a DWORD so if your settings aren't the same as on this link, you might need to do a little bit of bitmask math.) https://mikebattistablog.wordpress.com/2016/05/27/disable-intel-dpst-on-sp4/
Note #2 : There is a registry setting to turn off "Connected Standby" which may help the situation (but probably wont help the "sleep" scenarios.) The directions for that are here: Disabling Windows Connected Standby | Windows Client content from Windows IT Pro
Note #3 : When I contacted Microsoft support about this, their suggestion was to give me a link to reinstall all my drivers. I did that, but it had no effect on the situation.
The registry tweaks in the links above make the situation a little less bad, but there is still a problem. I hope Microsoft can issue a Hotfix for this quickly! Or else I might consider having to return my new Surface Pro while I'm still in my 30 day return-window.

convergent

May 20, 2017
Visit site
I've posted an extensive write-up about everything I know about the power issues on the new surface pro on reddit. There seem to be a lot of people complaining about this...

https://www.reddit.com/r/Surface/comments/6i292f/suspendpoweroff_at_random_surface_pro_2017_i5/

Yep, I have the same exact issue with my surface pro 256/8/i5 with the keyboard cover. It is annoying the heck out of me with how it is putting itself to sleep all the time. Even when I am in the middle of typing sometimes! Seems like it is more likely to happen after a real reboot, and then it seems less likely to happen a subsequent time. (I think. There doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason for why it is happening. It probably has happened 8 or 10 times to me so far since I got it last week.) I have set all my power options to turn off/sleep to "NEVER" and I disabled the checkbox to "save me power when my device knows I am away." Doesn't seem to make any difference. I see 2 different scenarios in my event log for this. One is when it puts it to sleep, and another time is when it puts itself into "connected standby". Here are the two kinds of "Events" and "Reasons" that I am getting:
Information 6/18/2017 11:08:46 AM Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power 506 (157) "The system is entering connected standby Reason: Idle Timeout."
Information 6/19/2017 8:35:41 PM Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power 42 (64) "The system is entering sleep. Sleep Reason: Application API"
Note #1 : The reason the display brightness is changing by itself (even if you have it set not to) is because of some intel thing called "DPST" and you can turn it off with a registry setting (although it may not be straight forward, since the setting for it is just one bit in a DWORD so if your settings aren't the same as on this link, you might need to do a little bit of bitmask math.) https://mikebattistablog.wordpress.com/2016/05/27/disable-intel-dpst-on-sp4/
Note #2 : There is a registry setting to turn off "Connected Standby" which may help the situation (but probably wont help the "sleep" scenarios.) The directions for that are here: Disabling Windows Connected Standby | Windows Client content from Windows IT Pro
Note #3 : When I contacted Microsoft support about this, their suggestion was to give me a link to reinstall all my drivers. I did that, but it had no effect on the situation.
The registry tweaks in the links above make the situation a little less bad, but there is still a problem. I hope Microsoft can issue a Hotfix for this quickly! Or else I might consider having to return my new Surface Pro while I'm still in my 30 day return-window.

As a point of reference, I have the same model as you and have not experienced it doing the sleep while you are using it. I do have sleep enabled and it goes to sleep at the time it should if I'm not using it.

DCW1000

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
Sorry to hear about others' problems, but my new Pro has been rock solid for four days straight -- i7/8/256. Lots of use in different environments -- tabletop, lap, reading in bed. I acknowledge the event log evidence, but wonder if there is also a possible heat issue since the m3/i5 models don't have fans. It would be interesting to hear if any i7s are suffering from abrupt sleep onset. (I know the biggest i7s aren't available yet, so the current pool of fast processors is perhaps limited.)

Last edited:

hyukim

Jun 23, 2017
Visit site
Sorry to hear about others' problems, but my new Pro has been rock solid for four days straight -- i7/8/256. Lots of use in different environments -- tabletop, lap, reading in bed. I acknowledge the event log evidence, but wonder if there is also a possible heat issue since the m3/i5 models don't have fans. It would be interesting to hear if any i7s are suffering from abrupt sleep onset. (I know the biggest i7s aren't available yet, so the current pool of fast processors is perhaps limited.)

I bought i7/8/256 configuration 3 days ago, and sleep issue happened to me few times. First one occurred when I was using Type Cover keyboard as soon as I was trying to type on Google Chrome web browser. One another occurred when I was watching media file through NAS by PotPlayer. So it seems, in my opinion, this issue broads to every Surface Pro units..

Sparro

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
I don't have this issue. I have an i5, 8GB, 256GB. I've had mine since Launch Day and this has never happened to me.

MelMaciel

Feb 20, 2017
Visit site
I have the i7 16gb model and have experienced this issue at least FIVE times. I got the extended warranty so I may just turn it in for another in a few months. Hope a solution is pushed out!

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
On my second machine I'm experiencing this problem maybe once or twice a day.. Nothing too terrible, but still annoying. I think it will be fixed in a near future firmware update though, I'm not too worry

Eliot Lovell

Jun 28, 2017
Visit site

Any ideas?

Have the same problem on my new pro i7 512. Will have to return it soon if it's not fixed quickly n

luv2skipow

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I have experienced this on my i5/256 and mainly in a dim light environment and often when reading in bed and often 2 times in relatively quick succession.
Other times I don't get it at all. initially thought o dodged this one but nope.

Elliott Bronstein

Jun 29, 2017
Visit site
Has happened to me too - sudden, surprise shutdown. Was able to return by pressing the on button w/ no loss of data. But still. Spent an hour with MS Support trying to diagnose the problem. Hasn't happened since then, but then again, I haven't used it for a few hours at a stretch.

charlesgittings

Jul 1, 2017
Visit site
So my surface pro i7 8gb 256 has been not waking up from sleep from time to time. Actually is shutting itself down. It will reboot. Seems to be random. Sometimes it will wake from sleep, sometimes it will not. Hibernate is turned off and I tried all power settings. Pretty annoying to press the power/sleep button and realize it has turned itself off and all work closed and unsaved. I called windows support last night and they gave me something to try and so far it has worked.

Hold the power button until the unit shuts off. Then hold the power button and the volume up button down when restarting and let it boot into the Surface UEFI menu. Then scroll down and click exit and then restart and voila. The problem has not happened since. The tech told me this procedure does some sort of reset and it has worked for the past two days for me no problems at all. You will actually see the screen do some sort of flicker and tint changes upon startup showing some sort of calibration happening as it enters into windows. Actually I had also noticed that my type cover upon purchase when I closed the lid and reopened the cover the screen would not come back on automatically like it was supposed to do. After this reset procedure that feature is now working as well.

Last edited:

Marcus Tutt

Jul 7, 2017
Visit site
I have an i7 2017 surface pro with same issue. Support said take it back but I have no confidence it would not be same on replacement. Took ages to set up. Anyone know if this is resolved yet? Or likely to be? Or is a hardware issue? Battery life not been as good as I had expected either but otherwise really good.

Gamely Lounges

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I followed charlesgittings suggestion and it seems to have solved my problem.

Hold the power button until the unit shuts off. Then hold the power button and the volume up button down when restarting and let it boot into the Surface UEFI menu. Then scroll down and click exit and then restart and voila.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon