New Alcantara Type Covers vs. the Pro 4 Signature cover

secher

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm getting the New Surface Pro one of these days, but in Denmark the new Type Covers won't ship until July 20th, which is long to go without a keyboard (and silly not to have the synced launch dates, since the Type Cover is pretty essential for the Pro)

However, the "old" Signature Type Cover for the Pro 4, is available all over... Plus the grey melange color actually looks better than the colors on the new ones, in my opinion.

My question is, though, is there an actual technical difference between the Pro 4 Signature Cover and the new ones? (Other than brightness keys).

Are the keys better? Is the touch pad improved?

If not, then I can just get the "old", great looking one... :)

Thanks in advance.

kodos78

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
No actual differences besides the brightness key and the INS key being removed. I have my daughter's SP4 Type Cover and a new Alcantara (Burgandy) one next to me -- and they seem identical other than the fabric.

secher

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I ended up just buying the Pro 4 Signature one... It does look better, and they seems so similar that it won't make any difference :)

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
the keys almost feel the same. there is a refinement to the feel though. and the keys are a little quieter.

touchpad is the same.

If you like the older colors more or want to save money, definitely go for the older keyboard.

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
One thing I noticed is that the trackpad button sounds a bit louder with a big more action feedback. Personally in that regard I like the SP4 better, but the trackpad is very smooth and responsive. The keys do seem a bit quieter and some say it has better travel but I'm not 100% sure on that. Other than that it's just the new brightness keys and Alcantara fabric I believe.

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Anyone know if the trackpad is any bigger? I didn't want to buy the SP4 because I found the trackpad small when I tested out.

No, the trackpad is the same size, which was 30% larger than the SP3 keyboard though, and one of the largest ones I've seen on laptops this size

Ekhangel

Jul 16, 2017
Visit site
What about the fabric difference between the new and the old Alcantara? Some have reported the new one to be noticeably more tacky and plastic-feeling due to added polyurethane layers.

kodos78

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
Originally posted by Ekhangel
What about the fabric difference between the new and the old Alcantara? Some have reported the new one to be noticeably more tacky and plastic-feeling due to added polyurethane layers.

I've got both of them (my daughter has a SP4 and I have a Burgundy Alcantara type cover on my SP2017). I very slightly like the feel of the Alcantara better.

It has less friction on it, and I feel like my palms "burn" less due to that. The way I type there's a significant amount of side to side action that I generate on my palms (I am also a fairly fast typist).

But if I closed my eyes and just used both I would be hard pressed to tell the difference. If you don't care about the brightness keys or the colors of the new ones (I rather like the Burgundy) then save money and use the old ones. Or if you have the money, get both and mix-and-match them depending on your mood :)

Ekhangel

Jul 16, 2017
Visit site
I've got both of them (my daughter has a SP4 and I have a Burgundy Alcantara type cover on my SP2017). I very slightly like the feel of the Alcantara better.

It has less friction on it, and I feel like my palms "burn" less due to that. The way I type there's a significant amount of side to side action that I generate on my palms (I am also a fairly fast typist).

But if I closed my eyes and just used both I would be hard pressed to tell the difference. If you don't care about the brightness keys or the colors of the new ones (I rather like the Burgundy) then save money and use the old ones. Or if you have the money, get both and mix-and-match them depending on your mood :)

Yeah, but are you comparing here the two Alcantaras, or the Alcantara and the regular Type Cover? I was asking about the former.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
the new alcantara doesn't feel more plasticky or tacky feeling than the old one. it just feels different. hard to describe.

the older alcantara was slightly smoother.

Ekhangel

Jul 16, 2017
Visit site
Ok, thanks. I'll be getting the new Alcantara (today is its European release date, btw!), since the old one is hardly available in the Old World.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes