New Surface Pro Battery Failure

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately to report, last night my brand new (got in on Jun 20) Surface Pro battery has died without warning. The device can now only power on and function with charging cord, as soon as it is unplugged the screen blacks out and device is off permanently.

To recap the events:
Surface was working perfectly the whole day. Then I plugged it in for charge and also connect it to TV via mini display port. Then as I was leaving I unplugged the mini display port cord first then the charging cord, and that's when screen just went dark and device is off. At first I thought this might be one of those problems that has been in the forums regarding sleep/hibernate mode but it isn't since I tried force shut off, cold reboot keys and everything else that could turn on the device but nothing worked until I got back home and plug in the device then it could power on. However, the system was running noticeably slower and laggy. And as soon as I unplug the charging cord it blacks out. Also, when it's on, the battery status reads: "plugged in, not charging". I've tried resetting the device and a few more cold reboots, but nothing helped.

Really don't know why this happened and fingers crossed that it is an isolated case. Going to Microsoft help desk in a bit, will update here....

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Update:
Smoothly exchanged for a new Surface Pro. Fingers crossed that this is just a isolated incident... I hope no one else will have this problem. Otherwise I'm loving this device so far, very snappy and quiet (fanless = awesome)

Bootsy85

Aug 2, 2017
Visit site
Hi David and everyone else,

I got mine (2017 model, i5 8/256GB) on Friday and encountered exactly the same issue Monday evening. I have done troubleshooting with Microsoft (getting battery stats and comparing nominal vs. real capacity (45 mWh vs 34mWh)) with the result that the device has to be changed. I am now waiting for a replacement via my dealer which has declared the device as "Dead on Arrival".

Interestingly I have also discovered the noticable lag and poor performance. Hello face recognition stopped working properly and some random touch actions where just ignored, too.

Seeing that I need to hand it back to support/dealer, I have tried to fully wipe the device but could only do so by creating a recovery USB stick with a complete surface factory image. All other wipe options failed with an error code.

I keep you posted on this issue and hope we are the only ones having it. David, I hope your replacement device is still working well?!

Cheers
Robert

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa