Do you guys have any backlight bleeding?

rmaximo2

Jun 27, 2017
Visit site
Returned my fourth Surface Pro unit yesterday. Lot 1722. Same f'ing story.

Microsoft dropped the ball on this. It's such an obvious defect to those who use these products in more ways than just with a keyboard and mouse where the black taskbar hides the defect. For example, writing on the product with your $100 pen in portrait mode: like here

This species of light bleed is not typical of LPS panels at this price point. And because it affects light-colored backgrounds, the applications it impacts is far broader. Typically LPS panels have backlight bleed on dark backgrounds—this kind of bleed affects movies and that sound of thing. With the bleed on SP2017, my experience using OneNote, Kindle for PC, Word, and basically using the product in tablet mode/portrait orientation were ruined.

Edit:

And after writing this post, I realized that it may make sense that more people aren't complaining. Microsoft said that only about 30% of its customers buy the pen. And a smaller percentage of that, I'm sure, actually use it. Unless you're using the pen or using the SP2017 as a tablet, e-reader, that sort of thing, lots of people wouldn't using this device in portrait mode.This lessens the amount of people who might actually notice the defect, but doesn't make the defect any less annoying to people who notice it

camptime

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Have 2 SP4 in the house My SP4 i7 256 does not have these issues have used ctrl alt Del the screen is a uniform green using web note screen looks even and YouTube test screen the screen is a lovely solid black.
Will check the wife's SP4 when I see my her in a few weeks time.

convergent

May 20, 2017
Visit site
I've had the 2017 Surface Pro i5/8G/256G model for 1 week. Light bleed is NOT a problem. And I do use the pen.

Same here. The whole reason I bought this was to use it with the pen. I spent most of last week traveling and spent a couple of days doing interviews and taking notes all day in OneNote, portrait mode, with the nSP pen.

The pen, the battery life, and the display were all great. The only glitch I had the whole week was one instance of it deciding to go to sleep while I was in the middle of using it. It was back in about 7 seconds after I hit the power button. This is the only time I've had this happen, and my understanding is that the latest Surface update supposedly fixed that.

SeanD_Colorado

Jul 17, 2017
Visit site
I definitely have some on mine. Mostly along the bottom and a slight bit in the upper left corner. I have been trying to decide if it bothers me enough to exchange it or not. Mostly I don't notice it, but every now and then I do and it gets into one of those, once you see it, you can't un-see it loops.

Last edited:

se4wp8

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
So I've now decided to return my 3rd Surface Pro. I thought this was a keeper originally but the more I use it the more I realise that this is still an issue. What bugs me even more is that other people have commented on it when I've said 'Hey, check out my awesome new computer'. Not sure whether there is a real duff batch of Surface Pros that I keep getting sent from, although lot numbers seem to suggest otherwise. Still not been sent the pen, even though it's been released in the UK for a week or so. Not a very happy camper right now.

convergent

May 20, 2017
Visit site
So I've now decided to return my 3rd Surface Pro. I thought this was a keeper originally but the more I use it the more I realise that this is still an issue. What bugs me even more is that other people have commented on it when I've said 'Hey, check out my awesome new computer'. Not sure whether there is a real duff batch of Surface Pros that I keep getting sent from, although lot numbers seem to suggest otherwise. Still not been sent the pen, even though it's been released in the UK for a week or so. Not a very happy camper right now.

Maybe hang out with different people. All I get when showing off my nSP is "wow, that screen is amazing"! :cool:

CrippsCorner

May 6, 2015
Visit site

How did you find the return process in the UK?

I returned my Surface mainly because of other issues (Bluetooth & Wi-Fi related) but it had the light bleed issue too. Got my replacement yesterday and the other issues seem better, but it still has light bleed. I'll see if it bothers me enough to replace it again, but in all honestly I have such bad eyesight it doesn't bother me as much as it probably should do!

Another for me was the return process was so hard. Had to speak to various Microsoft representatives over email, online chat and phone and eventually after 2 failed attempts of return, they finally managed, after 4 days, to send me a delivery label! It then took another 8 days to receive my replacement. Too frustrating, and I don't think I can be bothered going through that again... if I was in the US though and could simply walk into a store for a replacement I probably would.

se4wp8

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
Found the returns process hit and miss. Managed to negotiate a considerable discount after the 1st return process was completely screwed up, but I had opted for a replacement. The last time I did it I just returned/refunded and ordered a new one at the same time. It arrived in a couple of days and I'm still yet to send the faulty one back (although will probably do it tomorrow). This one's growing on me again, mainly cause it's a great machine other that the bleed, so not sure what i'm going to do...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234