To Alcantara, or not to Alcantara?

Al Sacco

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
So, I just got my new Surface Pro last week. I feel like it's not even a question whether or not you should buy a Type Cover — if you want to get any sort of real work done, you need one. However, Microsoft makes two versions, the regular ol' Type Cover and the Signature Type Cover, with Alcantara fabric. (If you need a refresher on what exactly Alcantara is, and what it's good for, read this.) The only different between the two covers, besides the Alcantara, is the price. The Signature one costs $30 more. But is it worth it?

I bought both covers, with the intention of returning the one I liked less. And that's just what I did. I honestly don't love the Alcantara, because it kind of looks "tacky" or something to me. But I like the plastic one even less, because it feels cheap and rubbery, in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, I really like the keyboards themselves, but I'm talking the materials they're made with.

In summary, I'm not in love with Alcantara but I still picked that option over the other one.

What say you? Are you an Alcantara fan or foe?

Sparro

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
I love my Cobalt Blue Alcantara Signature Type Cover. I think its very premium looking. For me its a no-brainer... Alcantara all the way!

Ferenc Toth

Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
I got the new alcantara cover as well. I read all the articles and reviews about how premium it feels. But in reality it feels very close the the regular type covers. In the new signature covers (2017) the alcantara fabric, I believe, is covered in more layers of polyurethane to prevent staining. The palm rests ended up feeling not much different than a regular (non-signature) type cover. I would advise that unless you really like the look of them, you are not missing out on much.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Well...it depends. There are actually 2 kinds of Alcantara on the Type Covers.

The Alcantara on the Signature Type cover you've got it not the same as the Alcantara in the new Pro 5 type covers.

So, to answer you question I'd have to say:

- I like the Alcantara on the Signature Type cover (although I hate the colour)
- I hate the Alcantara on the Pro 5 Type covers.
- I rather stick to the normal Type Cover.

The Pro 5 type covers feel incredibly cheap, considering they costs 185€ ($210). Because of the new treatment, they have more plastic in them than real Alcantara should. And for that sort of feeling, I'd rather stick to the normal Type covers which just feel pretty much the same as the Pro 5 type covers.

To be honest though, if they wanted to go with fabric, I'd rather they've used silk.
But to me, I'd like to see them play around with other materials like aluminium and wood for the type covers.

Chris Harris1

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Fabric IMO it is NOT a premium look or feel - regardless of the fancy name, Italian pedigree, etc.* It's cheap feeling, stains, wears down, and generally looks way out of place on a sleek, industrial design aesthetic which the Surface line otherwise exudes. To the rest of the world, its cheap looking felt. In short, as you say, yes, it's tacky.

Rainar Angelo

May 13, 2017
Visit site
Well, it's beautiful! So yeah, if you aren't careless or have non sweaty palms then it would be a go. Not so much if you are always snacking or have sweat prone palms...

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I really love my Alcantara Signature Type Cover. I can't speak for the new Pro Type Covers (although I adore the Cobalt Blue color) but I'm really enjoying the feel of the fabric. And it's held up fantastically for me despite extended usage. I take care of my Surface. I mean, wouldn't you take care of something you paid $700 or more for? My Surface looks like new, and that's without a case or screen protector.

falcon304

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
I feel like the regular one will stand the test of time better. Even if the Alcantara doesn't break down like some fear, it'll definitely wear and not feel like it does brand new.

dirtyvu

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
I feel like the regular one will stand the test of time better. Even if the Alcantara doesn't break down like some fear, it'll definitely wear and not feel like it does brand new.
It hasn't. The Alcantara has worn better over time than the non-alcantara type covers for surface pro 4.

mekanism

Jul 9, 2015
Visit site
I decided to go with the older type cover with the fingerprint sensor as the Alcantera looked terrible and cheap to me. But of course Windows Hello doesnt work with my work server so the fingerprint sensor is useless. Its a shame because it worked really well and is worth the extra $30.

Ivan Fuentes Hagar

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
It's more stain resistant than people think... it looks and feels like suede, which does stain easily and is hard to clean, but alcantara is a different, synthetic fabric. Any stain can be easily removable with warm water, although you have to be careful not to rub it too hard. Which brings me to this:

Well Alcantara holds up really nicely in Lamborghinis.....

Actually, it doesn't. Alcantara doesn't age well (and friction doesn't help). My car has alcantara seats, and although they look great, I do dedicate a lot of time to car care in general. At the same time, I know other owners who don't, and their seats are already full of bobbles.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)