Any photographers using Surface Pro?

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
Well, my first day of shooting and using ACDSee and LR with the Surface 3 sucked big time. So, early Monday I was at the Microsoft store and picked up the Surface Pro i5 and did all my Monday editing using LR and yes, the i5 can handle LR like a champ. It did bog down a couple times when called on to do some heavy processing but only for a second or two. Like I mentioned already, if I could have afforded the i7 that would have been much nicer. Also the small screen was painful if you're use to doing all your editing on a big monitor but I did get by. I saw all kinds of photographers in the media room Sunday/Monday and no one except me was using a Surface. A couple guys came over and asked if I was using a Surface and spent a few minutes looking it over. I didn't get to see everyone's laptop but of the ones I did get a glimpse of everyone was using Windows and saw no Macs (which kind of surprised me). So, if you're on the fence about the Surface Pro and LR go ahead a pull the trigger, it'll work.

XblegDn.jpg

Twitter: @PhotographyET

convergent

May 20, 2017
Visit site
Well, my first day of shooting and using ACDSee and LR with the Surface 3 sucked big time. So, early Monday I was at the Microsoft store and picked up the Surface Pro i5 and did all my Monday editing using LR and yes, the i5 can handle LR like a champ. It did bog down a couple times when called on to do some heavy processing but only for a second or two. Like I mentioned already, if I could have afforded the i7 that would have been much nicer. Also the small screen was painful if you're use to doing all your editing on a big monitor but I did get by. I saw all kinds of photographers in the media room Sunday/Monday and no one except me was using a Surface. A couple guys came over and asked if I was using a Surface and spent a few minutes looking it over. I didn't get to see everyone's laptop but of the ones I did get a glimpse of everyone was using Windows and saw no Macs (which kind of surprised me). So, if you're on the fence about the Surface Pro and LR go ahead a pull the trigger, it'll work.

This pretty much mirrors my experience using the nSP for Lightroom. I think it works quite well and the great thing is I can bring it with me when not in the office.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I wish I could bring my DSLRs to sporting events. They're banned everywhere I've gone. My poor Canons. They do allow cameras with non-detachable lenses so that's why I have the Sony RX100-III. For a point and shoot, it's fantastic. And it can produce RAW images (though the RAW images are limited). I find the photographs overly processed on the Sony (heavy on the noise reduction; kind of like all smartphones). But the Sony is fantastic for video. A strong Sony trait.

And yes, Lightroom is painful on a regular Surface 3.

Editing JPEGs in Lightroom is really limited too. So much information is already gone from the photo to almost not make it worth editing.

convergent

May 20, 2017
Visit site
I just did a whole shoot on the nSP and it went very well. I took about 1800 pictures over 2 days, shooting RAW on a 7D2, mostly with the 100-400 IS II. I first copied the SD card to a PNY 480GB portable elite SSD (this thing is tiny) via a USB3 SD card reader. I had both attached via a compact portable USB3 hub which I keep in my bag. After copying the images to the drive, I ingested them into Lightroom 5 which went very quickly. Then went through and rated them all, selecting a total of about 400 images to keep. Then went back through and cropped every image and made other needed corrections (pretty minimal for this shoot, which was outside flag football). Finally, used the plugin to output them to a gallery on Facebook. I used only the nSP with Type Cover and Surface Arc mouse for this one. I wanted to do it at my dining room table instead of going upstairs to dock it with my 27" 4K display, so that my wife could watch. Worked great with no lags to speak of. I even went to rating while the full size previews were still building and no lags there either going from image to image.

I love this thing.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
Nothing to do with the new Surface Pro really, more W10 probably but, did a job last night and needed Wifi so I could periodically upload images to the customer's FB group. The venues internet connection was secure so an employee typed in the password for me. My Surface connected, no problem. As the night went on I checked my WP for any messages and noticed it was connected to someone's wifi. I checked and it was connected to the venue's secure connection. Wow, I didn't know it did that, type in pass on one device all my devices connect.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Nothing to do with the new Surface Pro really, more W10 probably but, did a job last night and needed Wifi so I could periodically upload images to the customer's FB group. The venues internet connection was secure so an employee typed in the password for me. My Surface connected, no problem. As the night went on I checked my WP for any messages and noticed it was connected to someone's wifi. I checked and it was connected to the venue's secure connection. Wow, I didn't know it did that, type in pass on one device all my devices connect.

That was called wifi sense but I thought it was removed?

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I would like to buy the nSP soon but I'm very hesitant that I can adapt from being a longtime MacBook user.

Any photographers out there using Surface Pros to organise or edit their work?
I use my SP(2017) for editing, but not for organizing. My images are stored on a 12TB NAS.

I don't edit video on it though.

I have the I7 256GB SSD 8GB RAM version, with a Samsung 256GB microSD card.

El_Burro

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
This thread certainly has generated a lot of responses so I guess I'll throw my two cents in. I have a SP4 (i5 256 SSD) and use Lightroom and Photoshop regularly on it with ease and wonderful results. I see the people over at Fstoppers use a SP4 at the very least in their community critiques. In any case I think its clear from the responses here that the surface is a good choice for photographers.

Andrew G1

Feb 11, 2017
Visit site
I'm a hobby photographer with a Surface Pro (2017). Photographers more serious than me should be aware that every single Surface Pro (2017) model I've laid eyes on has a uniform band of light bleed across the bottom of the screen. It appears to be a manufacturing error but MS does not want to acknowledge it. You won't notice it in most situations but you will see it clearly with a bright, uniform color filling the panel (or something close). You'll have to work around this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs