Really enjoying the new Surface Pro

kodos78

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
In the midst of all of the bugs that are being reported (which as anyone who lived through those times is far less than the bugs on the SP3 and SP4/Surface Book) I wanted to say that I am really enjoying my new Surface Pro. As the owner of a SP3 and a Surface Book -- the new Surface Pro is my favorite Surface Device.

Having a fanless machine with this kind of power is kind of astonishing. I've got the Surface Dock (that I bought for my Surface Book) plugged into it, and it is currently running a 4K monitor and an ASUS 1080p USB 3.0 monitor. I need another mini-DP cable and it will be plugged into my 34" UW as well.

Being fanless is an incredible improvement. I can just work without being distracted by the fan noise. This is one reason I stopped using my Surface Book. The fan noise (hiss) was annoying when I started doing intensive tasks.

The battery life is a big improvement over previous Surface Pros (though not as good as my Surface Book).

The screen is gorgeous (I do have some light bleed, but it doesn't botther me). I really love the warmer color temperature in the "Enhanced" color mode.

The new Surface Pen is a nice improvement over the prior edition and my note-taking is much improved.

Overall, I am loving how portable it is and how powerful it is as well. With the Microsoft Arc Touch Mouse in my bag I can take a very light bag with me and get work done almost anywhere in the world. Phenomenal.

convergent

May 20, 2017
Visit site
I would agree wholeheartedly with your testament. I have the dock and Arc mouse as well. That said, I like the touchpad so well that I've not used the Arc mouse while traveling.

I have been using Macs for probably the last 10 years and never thought I'd be enthusiastic about Windows again. Microsoft is the innovator these days... Apple has become a smartphone company with political aspirations. I'm happy to divest. This is the first piece of technology I've been this excited about since I bought a MacBook Air about 8 years ago.

L0n3N1nja

Dec 22, 2016
Visit site
I have the SP3 and apparently I got lucky with the fan, I don't hear it often, it runs but it's hard to hear unless the room is absolutely silent. Fan less is the thing I like most of the new one, no worry of dust or failure of the fan.

convergent

May 20, 2017
Visit site
I have the SP3 and apparently I got lucky with the fan, I don't hear it often, it runs but it's hard to hear unless the room is absolutely silent. Fan less is the thing I like most of the new one, no worry of dust or failure of the fan.

It also seems to run cooler without the fan; than the older fanned designs.

Chris_NH

Feb 1, 2016
Visit site
I am a long time SP3 owner, which had been my favorite laptop/tablet, ever. But the new Surface Pro (2017 edition) is better. I got the i5/8G/256G model and have no regrets. The machine runs cool and silent. Display is excellent, super crisp, with zero noticeable light bleed in normal use. And performance is perfect for how I use a laptop (Web surfing, MS Office, Python programming, and inking). Did the fan on my SP3 bother me? Not really. Or at least not after I got used to it. But I do notice it more now, after having used my new SP for several days. So I'm not sure I will ever buy another laptop with a fan. And I'm not worried about the Alcantara keyboard getting dirty. I have used a "fuzzy" SP4 keyboard on my SP3 for over a year and it still looks great.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea