Surface Pro 2017 - bezel separation near front facing camera allowing light to escape

BatterseaDog

Jul 19, 2017
Visit site
With the Surface Pro 2017 and the front-facing camera on, does anyone else have light bleeding out from where the bezel meets the screen just above the camera? I returned an i7 8GB model today because in a normally lit room, the amount of light escaping from a gap above the camera looked really cheap. It looked like the bezel wasn't attached properly above the camera.

I have created a thread at Answers.Microsoft.com, and would do so here except I cannot figure out how to get images uploaded. If anyone could respond with a 'yes' they do, or 'no' they don't, be it here at WindowsCentral or at Microsoft Answers, I would appreciate it. I've ordered another i7 to arrive tomorrow and I want to have my expectations set properly. I'm currently using an i5 Surface Pro that doesn't have the issue, but I'm returning for something different. The i7 is meant to replace the i5.

I don't mind a bit of light getting through in a darkened room, but the amount of light escaping through the bezel today in a well-lit room from the i7 was unacceptable to me. The bezel did not look properly attached full stop.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...paration/1bdffb41-4fbc-4a9b-a3db-0fb69ae3f207

BatterseaDog

Jul 19, 2017
Visit site
RESOLVED:* I received yet another i7 8GB unit today, and it could easily be used as a demo unit for the press.* It's beautiful.*

The bezel is securely attached to the screen above the camera and so there is zero light escaping from between the bezel and the screen even in a pitch black room (or closet, as it is now day here).* In addition, the oleophobic coating has been applied to the entire screen, unlike my i5 unit which had a 3mm gap in the coating along the left-hand side.

I was prepared to live with the oleophobic issue of the i5 unit should this i7 unit had arrived today faulty as well.* I also would have been happy enough if the light leak between bezel and screen was only noticeable in a darkened room (with the camera light on).* Happily this unit doesn't suffer from any of the issues of my previous two units. So, both the oleophobic coating and bezel light leakage are both manufacturing quality control issues.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon