Can no longer play games

L0n3N1nja

Dec 22, 2016
Visit site
I've had my SP3 for nearly 3 years, it's one of the ones with the I5 in it. I never bought it for the intention of gaming but I've always played a few light games on it, and used it for League of Legends over at a friends place.

In the last few weeks it's become unplayable because of severe overheating. The fan still runs, but it's barely audible which has always been the case and I cannot feel any airflow, which I honestly never could feel much to begin with.

I start a match and have over 60fps, 5 to 10 minutes in and I can't even get 30fps. I've checked and it is throttling the CPU below 1.0Ghz and the GPU to around 400mhz.

Is my device full of dust? This has been an issue with laptops in the past but I was able to open those up and clean them out, I have no way to open the Surface up.

Anyone else having issues like this? Is there a way to clean it out? Possible firmware issue? I've gone to Google but seem to only find information of them overheating when new.

L0n3N1nja

Dec 22, 2016
Visit site
I was impatient and frustrated, used a shop vac on the vents. I couldn't see it pull anything out but my Temps went way down and throttling went away. Who knew it would be that easy?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers