Options to replace cracked Surface Pro 4 (HELP)

dc9super80

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
My Surface Pro 4, has a cracked screen. It is cracked in the upper right corner in the bezel area, so it doesn't affect my ability to see the screen. I put some tape over it so it would cut me while using it etc. Nevertheless, I want to change it. It is a an i7, 8GB, 256GB device, so it was an investment that I wish to continue benefiting from. What are my options though?

1. Am I able to trade it in to MSFT and get a a discount for a new device, let's say the new Surface Pro, or does that only apply to non-damaged devices?

2. I know I can exchange the device and get a new one for $450 but I live outside of the US, and the next time I am there, I will be in a city (Denver) with a small MSFT store, that I imagine won't have the configuration I have.

So what are my options?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Here's what I remember:

1. Exchange for a refurbished/new(?) unit for a discount, as you already know.

2. Try to find a shop willing to replace the display for less, I'm not sure you will given the sheer difficulty and risk of breaking something.

3. Purchase an entirely different new/used/refurb device that's both more durable and less difficult to repair, which won't be hard given that Surface portables and Macbooks are as repair-unfriendly as you can conceivably get.

I personally recommend this if it's not already apparent. You don't have to get a bulky ThinkPad like me, but I believe Lenovo, Dell, maybe HP might have some svelte hybrids that aren't disposable in their business lineups.

dc9super80

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
I am going to take it to the store when I get to the US, and either try to get a direct replacement for the 450 or try to get a discount for a new machine (the new Surface Pro).

neosdesign

Feb 17, 2018
Visit site
My Surface Pro 4, has a cracked screen. It is cracked in the upper right corner in the bezel area, so it doesn't affect my ability to see the screen. I put some tape over it so it would cut me while using it etc. Nevertheless, I want to change it. It is a an i7, 8GB, 256GB device, so it was an investment that I wish to continue benefiting from. What are my options though?

1. Am I able to trade it in to MSFT and get a a discount for a new device, let's say the new Surface Pro, or does that only apply to non-damaged devices?

2. I know I can exchange the device and get a new one for $450 but I live outside of the US, and the next time I am there, I will be in a city (Denver) with a small MSFT store, that I imagine won't have the configuration I have.

So what are my options?

I am not sure but have you tried getting the surface repaired? Hard Surface Repair - Re-New Surface Systems

phones 99

Oct 25, 2018
Visit site
I am going to take it to the store when I get to the US, and either try to get a direct replacement for the 450 or try to get a discount for a new machine (the new Surface Pro).

Just in case you haven't visited stateside yet and this helps, we do this repair quite often and it's $269 with RxTech Repair. We can do it within 2 hours at our store or can provide you a shipping label. Hope this helps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon