How do you use your Surface, as a Laptop or a Tablet?

WitnessFTP

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I use mine 65% desktop/laptop, 35% tablet. I'm out quiet often and I have used it in the field and I use it to take handwritten notes (OneNote).

ben12354

Jun 9, 2017
Visit site
Do you put on your keyboard and use it as a Lapp or leave it off and use it as a Tablet?

I use mine 90% as a Tablet 10% as a Lapp.y.

As all three, I have the brydge keyboard which enables a really nice laptop mode, I use the pen for marking up engineering prints and as a whiteboard in meetings which is great in tablet mode. Then I use CAD with a duel screen setup. Probably 50% desktop, 30% tablet, and 20% laptop.

Chris Totman

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Mostly I use my SP3 i7 256 as a desktop (90%) and other 10% as lappy. Wife says she uses 30% lappy, she loves the portability and Arc Mouse.

Robert Paulsen

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I put it above my keyboard as a 3rd "reference" monitor. This is awesome for documents I need for reference to checking against (like a contract). At work I bought a keyboard with an off-center wire specifically to allow this.

Daily I flip the keyboard back for our stand-up meetings. Often I will pop off the keyboard to hand it over during a meeting.

I've literally never sat with it (or any other computer) on my lap as a lap-top.

20170826_212751.jpg

DubDublin

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
Do you put on your keyboard and use it as a Lapp or leave it off and use it as a Tablet?

I use mine 90% as a Tablet 10% as a Lapp.y.

Probably 55% desktop, 40% tablet, and 5% laptop.

I have two SP3 docks that I use with an SP4 (my wife has the original SP3). Because I have the docks, I used to use mine mostly as a desktop, but tablet use has steadily grown over the past three years, to the point that I recently had to do work on a new Macbook pro provided by a client, and it really felt like being thrown back into the 90's.

As a tablet, it's my primary reading device - it's at the breakfast table in place of the newspaper, esp. now that I've ditched the lamestream media for blogs with much higher-quality content and analysis.

OneNote is amazingly useful on a pen/tablet PC. I never want to be w/o touch and pen again - what I really want is a Surface Studio-like monitor to use when docked!

Well, that and first-class sketching programs - Why aren't apps like the iPad Pro's uMake and Concepts available for the Surface family, especially since there are both more of them and it's a better platform for that type of app?

Sad to say, but my type cover is used more as a screen protector than as a keyboard...

Hans Swolfs

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
For me it's about 45% desktop for webdevelopment and photography, 25% laptop when i'm about at clients and 30% tablet when I hit the couch.

My sp3 i5 8gb replaced my desktop, laptop and tablet almost immediately and I don't regret it for a second. Next device will be Surface again for sure.

Richard Toft

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Breakdown of usage for my surface pro 4, 10% Desktop 30% tablet and 60% laptop.

Desktop for work / media, laptop while I'm working and trying to be sociable with the family and tablet for browsing, gaming and media.

The perfect device for me.

tofab123

Aug 22, 2017
Visit site
I use it as a desktop doing the day when working, and as a table as night when relaxing. In the weekends, mostly as a tablet.

I rarely use it a laptop. When using it a desktop, it is attached to a dock and 2 monitors. it function as an additional screen when i use i as desktop.

Last edited:

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Mostly as a laptop, but not on my lap. While the SP may have a somewhat compromised lapability, it has fantastic touch stability. This is thanks to its screen being supported at two points: at the bottom, where the keyboard connects, and half-way up the screen, where the hinge connects.

Although I prefer the size of the SB screen, it's stability is compromised because it's touch screen is supported only from the bottom, making it wobble when touched, particularly nearer the top.

My hope for a SB successor is for a modernized "clipboard" portion that includes a kickstand, a microSD slot behind it, 1 or 2 USB-C ports, and the option to connect to a lightweight Type Cover for when I prefer weight savings above all or a SB Performance Base for when I need computing power without compromised battery life.

Ron Simpson

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
While I use its portable qualities, my Pro 4 is usually on my desk, connected to a dock, running a 24" monitor, hard wired to my network, connected to 2 external drives. I use keyboard, mouse, and touch interfaces and would not give up any of them.
Pro 4 Usage: Desktop, 80%, Laptop 15%, Tablet 5%.
I have a Surface 3 I use as a desktop in the family room and two tablets that are used only as tablets, even though I have keyboards for each.

pallentx

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
At work, about 75% laptop, 25% tablet taking notes.

At home, almost 100% slate tablet with the keyboard completely removed. If I need anything more, I go to my desktop.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)