How do you use your Surface, as a Laptop or a Tablet?

cowboy6201

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Do you put on your keyboard and use it as a Lapp or leave it off and use it as a Tablet?

I use mine 90% as a Tablet 10% as a Lapp.y.

L0n3N1nja

Dec 22, 2016
Visit site
I use mine as a desktop. My desktop is 6 years old, runs games better, but the Surface is much snappier.

My surface is usually sitting on my desk connected to a 21inch monitor with a regular keyboard and speakers attached. I almost never use mine as a tablet, it's heavy and runs hot compared to my Android tablets.

pinkvikchick

May 26, 2017
Visit site
Usually as a Laptop. But sometimes I disconnect the keyboard and walk over and show something to someone. Or, if I go on vacation, I bring that instead of a laptop and a tablet.

miodrage

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
When I was buying mine I was thinking I will use it equally, however, I find to myself that the usage is mostly as a laptop, even a desktop, and just rarely as a tablet.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Seeing how my wife uses her Surface3, its about 50-30-20 .. Half the time she's browsing or gaming. Once a while, she'll have to do real work on Excel ala desktop, that's when she uses mouse and keyboard.

... !

pass11

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Do you put on your keyboard and use it as a Lapp or leave it off and use it as a Tablet?

I use mine 90% as a Tablet 10% as a Lapp.y.

I'm the opposite. Like 60% connected to a monitor, 30% as a lappy when on the go and 10% as a tablet...Though I've recently started to use it more as a tablet just to make better use of all the functionality

TabletWriter

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Depends on the week, but now that I have two (and SP3 and Current SP), the SP3 is always used as a desktop, the SP usually a laptop or tablet when inking. The flexibility is key.

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site

All.

Surface for me was a break away from the tired old paradigm of wanting to use a tablet, needing a laptop as well because the tablet couldn't do as much, then having a complete disconnect between the latter two and the desktop... so it's my everything from IDE powerhouse to gaming unit (I game very lightly, usually old PC games or lightweight Windows Store games).

I feel it's wasted if I'm not constantly switching between it's modes... and for that very reason it's pretty much everywhere with me. Used as a tablet when I'm attending meetings, sketching, playing games or lounging about, a toss up between laptop/tablet when I'm on contract, in lecture hall or out-of-state training new guys... and in my home office I'm usually up til midnight coding away with it docked and outputting to my 34in ultrawide LG monitor.

I really can't even put a solid percentage on what I mostly use it as vs others because I use it as what it is... a Surface - the crazy *** do-everything hybrid.

Bill Leeman

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Mine is used evenly as a laptop, desktop, and a tablet. I work out of my home and at my desk my Surface Pro 4 is connected to an LG 34" monitor via the dock. When I'm at clients sites during the day I use it mostly in laptop mode with an occasional switch to tablet mode if I'm taking notes. When I'm not working I mostly use it in tablet mode while sitting in my recliner. I sold off all my other computers and my SP4 handles everything. It's the i7 with 16GB of RAM. I also have my older Surface Pro 3 that I kept as a backup, just in case something happened with this one. Being a computer consultant it wouldn't look good showing up at a client site and asking if I could use one of their computers as mine was in the shop :)

Jobirobson

Aug 3, 2017
Visit site
I Use Mine 90% as a laptop....I don't know why, I'm a windows insider, I love doing new things, but I just cannot get the tablet part down to use !, But I keep Trying.....

kingtigre

Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
Pretty even split for me. I use it as a desktop, laptop, and tablet pretty evenly. If I favor any mode over another it is probably Tablet.

I also favor tablet mode regardless of which configuration I'm using the Surface in.

txo

Dec 22, 2015
Visit site
At work docked so use it as desktop. On the meetings and on the go as laptop of course and at home as tablet. So I can call myself a proper SP user :)

astondg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
In terms of hours I use my Surface Pro mostly set up as a desktop for my job (because I'm there 8hrs a day) BUT in that setup my Surface sits flat on the desk next to my keyboard with the pen so I can take notes while I work.

Outside of work I use it 70% tablet and 30% laptop.

AnIronButterfly

Sep 9, 2015
Visit site
Combination Desktop/Laptop (with a mouse, because I -hate- touchpads)! :) Some tablet, with pen, so I can doodle and relax with 'adult colouring book apps' etc. I use my Surface Book as my primary laptop, tho! My Pro 4 is also used as a back up device or side-car for watching video/streaming news as I don't have a TV. Great combo of devices has made me quite happy with my current hardware.

Kevin Cocquyt

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
Bought one last week and mainly using it as a laptop (almost dropped it when standing getting up from the couch as I held it like a laptop, by its keyboard. Luckily, my reflexes are still top notch 😀) and otherwise as a tablet for reading or signing documents (no more printing, signing, scanning documents again for me! $2000 or a sheet of paper, I clearly won!). Haven't used it as a desktop but once I install VS (Code), I'll probably have to.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium