STUPID problem on my Surface Pro 4!! How to stop it??!! HELP!! D:

ShaunAFC3

Mar 5, 2017
Visit site
Hey everyone I have my Surface Pro 4(i5 Core/8GB of RAM/256GB of storage) and had it for over 6 months now.

But I have been getting this stupid slow down problem recently only in the last 2/3 weeks all of the sudden my Surface Pro 4 would get slow and laggy in things like selecting/highlighting a desktop program, opening and closing programs, switching in between programs and navigating around the Windows interface and more for absolutely no reason and I don't understand why I am getting this because the CPU is always 10-0% and most of the 8GB of RAM is not used up in the task manager. D:

And to make this stupid problem stop and go away temporary is that I have to shut down the device and boot it up again and everything goes back to normal and running fast again but about 4-7 days after rebooting i get the stupid problem again as I describe above for some bizarre reason!! D:

And I have Avira Anti Virus software installed and it says that I don't have any viruses on my Surface Pro 4.

And this is really really annoying now as it has happened 3 times now in the last 2/3 weeks and because I definitely don't really really keep on restarting my Surface device like every few days just to get it back to normal and running fast again and before this month I have never had this stupid problem on my Surface Pro 4, So in the last couple weeks I have started getting this stupid slow down problem.

To be honest I am completely clueless and I don't really know why that I am getting this stupid slow down problem on my Surface Pro 4....???

So everyone I really really need some help!!! How to stop and get rid of this stupid slow down problem that I have been getting on my Surface Pro 4 recently?? Have you ever had this stupid slow problem on your Surface Pro 4?? o_O

And the option that i won't do is to factory reset or wipe the whole device which I definitely don't want to do that!!!

Last edited:

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
No problem with mine.

In the long and distant past if any of my customers called me and said "My PC is running slow", if there wasn't an obvious reason I would often suspect the "Anti-Virus" program, and changing this would often solve a few speed issues, would it be worth turning your off and use the built in Windows Defender and see how you get on (You may need to turn it on manually).

I only use Defender on my PC's now and have not had a virus on any of them.

I know things have changed in recent years with AV programs, but this was always something I would consider but its your choice.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I agree. I would uninstall the Avira software and reboot. Then, I would turn on Defender, make sure it's up to date, run a full system scan, and see how that goes for a day or so.

miodrage

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Hmmm, can be several things...
The AV is suggested as 1, I absolutely agree. Uninstall it.
The second, might be some overheating... but u would probably feel that.

What I would do, is a recovery, BUT with keeping my files. After that u should test ur device, and see if the problem persists. The next thing is a recovery without keeping the files. After that a full reinstallation, and if u have the trouble after that, then it must be some hardware fault.
I know this aint popular, howeverin order to be sure, this is the algorhythm to follow.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I've seen the word stupid more times in that post than I've heard this month - once is enough, exaggeration doesn't help :eck:

If you've been keeping it on all the time for days on end, I would suggest shutting it down every 2-3 days to let it rest

Get rid of Avira and see what happens - windows defender is quite good or you can go with the free Kaspersky Antivirus

Those 3 times that it slowed down, perhaps there was an update installing? Try changing the timings for update installation to later hours

Try to make sure not everything is updating at once - like the AV, desktop programs, store apps etc - that can also bog down the processor and internet speed

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss