Sketching software for Surface Pro

CaymanDreamin

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
Greetings everyone. I'm looking at getting my daughter a Surface Pro and I'm looking for suggestions for sketching software. She loves to draw, mainly pencil, not a fan of paints. Thinking of getting a Surface Dial as well. Looking forward to your thoughts.

DCW1000

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
I delayed replying because I thought others with more experience might chime in. Sketchable is a pretty good app, and Graphiter looks to be right in the wheelhouse since it emphasizes drawing. There are lots of good apps in the store, and many are free so it doesn't cost anything to load up with them and compare them side to side. Some of the higher-rated apps (like Autodesk Sketchbook) are free or reasonable for the base program, but adding advanced features will cost a few dollars. The expanded brush and pen-tip set for Sketchbook costs about $5, for example.

I'm not sure how useful the Dial would be for drawing and linework. It seems to be quite useful for color picking and area fill adjustment. Also, the Dial seems quite large when placed on the Surface pro screen compared to either a Book or Studio. It's a nice tool, but not necessarily an ideal tool for some work contexts. I haven't looked but I bet there are a lot of YouTube videos showing the Dial in use on different machines.

Hope this helps.

CaymanDreamin

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. We'll have to check those out. I wasn't sure about the dial, good idea about checking YouTube. I am thinking is getting an SB2 to replace my SP3, so maybe she might be able to use it on that if she starts to get into paints too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6