Surface Pro 4 keyboard port failure.

vaheav

Dec 15, 2017
Visit site
Hello,

One day I was working on my surface and everything was fine. I have decided to make it even better by having some tea. I closed my surface and went to the kitchen. When I came back with a cup of tea, I turned on my surface and realized that type cover stopped working. Just like that the keyboard port fielded and never worked again. The keyboard itself is fine, works perfectly on other surface devices.

Reinstalling the driver, reinstalling windows, resetting the device, cleaning the connectors...nothing worked. It is a hardware failure according to people from Microsoft store. Now they want me to pay 450$ to get a replacement, which is half of what I paid for the device. How crazy is that?

Anyone else has the same issue? Anyone managed to fix this?
BTW, the touchpad works in "Power and Vol+" menu, but not anywhere else, keyboard doesn't work at all.

Thanks!

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Now they want me to pay 450$ to get a replacement, which is half of what I paid for the device. How crazy is that?

Unfortunately, the Surface lineup is virtually impossible to repair - a replacement by itself for $450 isn't unreasonable, although the fact a button breaking or something like what you suffered could condemn an entire unit is less so.

Dec 29, 2017
Visit site
Hello,

One day I was working on my surface and everything was fine. I have decided to make it even better by having some tea. I closed my surface and went to the kitchen. When I came back with a cup of tea, I turned on my surface and realized that type cover stopped working. Just like that the keyboard port fielded and never worked again. The keyboard itself is fine, works perfectly on other surface devices.

Reinstalling the driver, reinstalling windows, resetting the device, cleaning the connectors...nothing worked. It is a hardware failure according to people from Microsoft store. Now they want me to pay 450$ to get a replacement, which is half of what I paid for the device. How crazy is that?

Anyone else has the same issue? Anyone managed to fix this?
BTW, the touchpad works in "Power and Vol+" menu, but not anywhere else, keyboard doesn't work at all.

Thanks!

Same issue here... My unit is out of warranty and when I called the MS tollfree they asked me to pay Rs.35000 for a replacement unit. A new unit costs only 70000RS INR. Microsoft is already regretting for not getting in to the hardware space. And they expect someone to pay half the price of a hardware for a small repair?

Shashan Pande

Sep 29, 2018
Visit site
Hey, I am facing a similar issue and they are asking for the same price. I don't know what to do! Is there any alternative apart from a Bluetooth keyboard and a mouse. Any suggestions what to buy as a replacement?

SOUL_kalisa

Nov 8, 2018
Visit site
same problem here ! randomly my key board will stop working all together and I have to manually reset my entire surface and then my key board will come back on, you just press the top power button and the volume button on the top of the surface at the same time and it does a manual reset, not just a restart but a full reset and boom! key board works again.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720