Well I've killed my surface after 5 days.

Marcin Dabrowsky

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
Bought a new surface pro. It kept restarting and blue screening. Decided to reset but wanted a completely fresh install with no other partitions.

Loaded up a windows recovery USB and deleted all partitions leaving only the entire main drive.

Instead of erasing the whole drive and installing a fresh copy of widows, computer restarted and started going straight into bios.

I downloaded an actual image for my serial number from Microsoft and am able to go into the initial recovery screen using a bootable USB drive, select "use recovery drive" option but then every time I click on erase all programs and reset computer it stops at a blue screen saying "unable to reset your pc."

Out of ideas.

.😯

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Return it and get a replacement as you are well with-in your warranty period and tried to fix the issue yourself due to an out-of-box-fault.

My guess is that it downloaded the fall creators update hence reboot loop, the fall creators update is the most buggiest update I've ever seen.

Microsoft is most likely kicking themselves for axing their programmatic testers... and over working the developers...

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
Return it and get a replacement as you are well with-in your warranty period and tried to fix the issue yourself due to an out-of-box-fault.

My guess is that it downloaded the fall creators update hence reboot loop, the fall creators update is the most buggiest update I've ever seen.

Microsoft is most likely kicking themselves for axing their programmatic testers... and over working the developers...

Yup encountered similar on 2 out of three attempts upgrading to fall creators update (3 computers).

If my experience w/W10 and its updates are any indication it's no sweat off MSFT's colored-ball-icons-30107.png

otherwise things wouldn't be getting progressively worse in the update stability department - at least we personally are finding it has gotten worse.

Andrea Mangano

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
Bought a new surface pro. It kept restarting and blue screening. Decided to reset but wanted a completely fresh install with no other partitions.

Loaded up a windows recovery USB and deleted all partitions leaving only the entire main drive.

Instead of erasing the whole drive and installing a fresh copy of widows, computer restarted and started going straight into bios.

I downloaded an actual image for my serial number from Microsoft and am able to go into the initial recovery screen using a bootable USB drive, select "use recovery drive" option but then every time I click on erase all programs and reset computer it stops at a blue screen saying "unable to reset your pc."

Out of ideas.

Try with a generic windows 10 installation, using media creation tool.
Microsoft server will activate your windows copy automatically.
Instead of using media creation tool to create usb bootable installation drive, download it as iso.
Create a bootable USB drive with Rufus.
Look for a guide on the web, there are a lot.
I've used this steps to wipe my Surface Book stock Windows with total success and no issues.
You will have to install drivers via windows update or downloading them as package from Microsoft website.
If blue screens keep showing contact surface support.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Yup encountered similar on 2 out of three attempts upgrading to fall creators update (3 computers).

If my experience w/W10 and its updates are any indication it's no sweat off MSFT's View attachment 138484

otherwise things wouldn't be getting progressively worse in the update stability department - at least we personally are finding it has gotten worse.

Looks like going forward for every major 'upgrade', we are going to have to wait a few months after the update is rolled and do own testing in virtual machines... to prevent these headaches.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
Looks like going forward for every major 'upgrade', we are going to have to wait a few months after the update is rolled and do own testing in virtual machines... to prevent these headaches.

Definitely waited for all major updates applying only after MS deemed my computers were now eligible. So yes, waited actually a few months before I got the notifications.

Yup Windows 10 for me has become a headache with a few too many migraine thrown in for good measure.

In all seriousness, I'm almost done diagnosing, testing, fixing anything Windows 10 since the frequency of doing such appears to be increasing - That's been my experience on multiple devices over a three year span.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Definitely waited for all major updates applying only after MS deemed my computers were now eligible. So yes, waited actually a few months before I got the notifications.

Yup Windows 10 for me has become a headache with a few too many migraine thrown in for good measure.

In all seriousness, I'm almost done diagnosing, testing, fixing anything Windows 10 since the frequency of doing such appears to be increasing - That's been my experience on multiple devices over a three year span.

Well, unless they rehire the programmatic testers and reinstate the quality assurance team it's only going to get worse.... as more devices run Windows Core, the higher chances of coding fatigue from troubleshooting and diagnosis.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
MSFT does what MSFT does... after 31+ years I think we've finally lost interest, and patience. Thankfully we're not left without with other very good options available.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett