Potential mitigation/solution to pen accuracy problems

hawc1506

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Hey y'all,

I plunged and finally got a Surface Pro (2017) and I've been sketching with it quite a bit in the past few days. Then one day I started to experience, as many of you have, serious accuracy issues with the Surface Pro Pen.

After a lot of experimentation, I was able to pinpoint one potential factor, which is the way the device is held. I realized that in the first few days of sketching, I was holding the Surface with my left hand to keep it stable on its kickstand while sketching with my right.

Today for some reason, I decided to just sketch with it laying flat on the table and that's when the jitters started.

I made a quick comparison below.
  1. The scribble on top shows the results when I write without having my left hand in contact with the Surface.
  2. The scribble on the bottom shows significantly better pen input as a result of my left thumb and palm resting/holding the left side of the surface.

In both cases, the keyboard was detached. Reattaching the keyboard seems to negatively affect pen accuracy as well, but I haven't tested it enough.

Can anyone reproduce this? Or is it this just my unit?

Digitizer interference.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos