Build 1803 is buggy. Many Blue Screens of Death

eljeffe58

Jun 3, 2016
Visit site
I just got a Surface Pro 2017 at Best Buy. I returned it cuz after she updated to build 1803 and I could not escape 3 BSOD's in two days. I returned her after a few days and the new one has the same thing. I restored the new one back to the 1709 build and disabled updating. I will try not to let her update until a new update supersedes the 1803 mess. I also could not get the update downloads to easily complete without running the fix it troubleshooter and/or just rebooting. A real mess if you ask me. I love the SP 2017 but hate the updates and really hate a BSOD at work in the middle of helping a client.

Xanc6

Feb 18, 2017
Visit site
Here at home I have 12 PC's / Workstations / Laptops / Aio's and MS: SP.

Please note usually I only upgrade whenever 1803 announces itself automatically (unless indicated otherwise)

Current status: MSSP2 and MSSP4: 1803 installed flawless
Dell workstation T7910: 1803 installed flawless
Dell XPSOne27 (2012): 1803 installed flawless
Children PC's: 2 Dell Inspiron PC's (2016) and 1 workstation Dell T5820(2017): 1803 installed Flawless
Children laptops: 3 Dell Inspiron 15 laptops (2010): 1803 forced install - flawless

Not yet upgraded: will be via forced install:
Dell WS690 (2005)
Dell workstation XPS Gen II (2005)

Dec 25, 2016
Visit site
It has the same set of bugs that I've been reporting for weeks, monts, years. Windows 10 is full of bugs that never get fixed. The ones that always get fixed in coming patches are the ones that I have never seen. The April update brings nice features with some new minor bugs that does not bother me. The ones that bother me are some old bugs introduced in CU or so, still not getting fixed. If old bugs would be fixed, who would care about new ones.

MrAgapiGC

May 14, 2018
Visit site
i email you guys today with the errors. but it seams that the os installation and update react differently system to system. so far no blue screen. But did detect a dying hard driver and stop loading with a blue screen. thanks to that i id the problem and backup my disk. mine on update, get generic roaming a lot of com errors. issues with Logitech cameras and video drivers crash. all those got fix with exception of 4 COM errors. the odd stuff is that that is not present on my friend computer that i check yesterday.

EugeneMichael

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I can't say it's very buggy, i have no bsod on my SP 2017 m3, the most terrible bug is when swype-typing sometimes doesn't work. I have another problem. THE TABLET REALLY OVERHEATS, IT BECOMES AWFUL TO KEEP IT HANDS! And multy-tasking view freezes and lags on core m3, i dunno how about i5. So, I'm still on FCU. What can u say about overheat?

Hirox K

Oct 25, 2016
Visit site
I haven't updated my Surfaces, but my Alienwares' working fine with 1803.
I've encountered 0 issue so far, lucky me.
* BSOD is rare on Windows these days. In the past... 10 years? I saw a BSOD twice. 1) On friend's iPhone and 2) my Alienware's RAM got burned due to the summer heat.

Alienware M17xR4 came with Win8 and Alienware team blocked the win10 update. Yes, even when I requested manually, Alienware just won't let me. I call that service.
* Unlike other OEMs or HW makers who let the Win10 install itself before all drivers ready...
I force updated it with a thumb drive right before the free campaign ended, so far so good.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I updated my Eve V and my SP3 to 1803 using the Windows 10 update URL - auto update did not work on either machine. Both seem to work just fine, no issues so far for me.

dbadali

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
My 2017 surface pro m3 had freezes and BSOD's so I was looking for an answer to why. I also have 2 other computers that have updated with no issues, only the surface pro. I saw the following article that blames it on the SSD.

https://www.computerworld.com/artic...1803-update-blue-screens-now-we-know-why.html

My surface pro has this SSD so could be true. I rolled back to 1709 and have not had problems since. Hopefully they correct the issue with the SSD so I can reinstall the upate.

DMelan

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
One of my 3 Win10 computers is having trouble after the April update, the other two are fine. When I log into the one having trouble, it shows a black screen and never makes it to the desktop, but I can start most programs via the task manager. From what I've read online, apparently this is due to a Windows Store app trying and failing to update itself? I haven't managed to get it resolved yet.

csd_images

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
The 1803 update has been pretty stable for me apart from one unsolvable glitch. I've now installed it on 8 systems, HP Z620, HP Z820, HP Zbook 15 G2, Surface Pro 2017, two custom builds and a few other rigs. The only glitches I came across was the creation of a 500Mb partition (which is easily ignored) on a SP 1 and the Z620 and for some strange reason the Esc key no longer works in Windows on the Zbook 15 G2 with the internal keyboard!

We're also testing the latest build on HP 840 G1-G4 laptops.

Hanley Gibbons

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
My HP Spectre x360 (late 2017) is completely unusable on 1803. It BSODs about every 20 minutes. I rolled it back to 1709 and had no issues. Updated to 1803 again and it was right back to BSODing.

My gaming tower is completely fine though and it's something I put together myself.

Cbarnhorst

Feb 27, 2018
Visit site
I did a total of 17 updates to the April 2018 Update. None have had a BSOD and none have presented with bugs in the Windows functions that I normally use. Clearly, a user's hardware/software configuration will determine the bugs he runs into. This is the risk with forcing the update. I do it anyway since I can revert when needed. I haven't needed to.

I don't use third-party "cleanup" utilities and rely on Defender for anti-malware protection and no doubt that can play a role. I sympathicize with with the folks who are running into issues and hope they track down the causes soon.

Last edited:

kingtigre

Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
My SB seems fine overall. I have experienced some slow down and high CPU usage, but I can't lay blame at 1803 definitively. My troubleshooting of the issue is still a WIP.

My SP4 has been a champ. The usual W10 issues I run into continue. All feedback submitted. Hopeful for resolutions. But overall it is also fine.

ajj3085

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I have three computers which updated; one install fine, the other two installed fine using the media creation tool using the local admin account. Otherwise all is fine. Probably the people are having issues have either faulty hardware or buggy drivers for the devices connected.

Richard Toft

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
No problems (so far) devices installed on
Surface pro 4
Gaming pc
Gemini laptop 2017
Dell venue pro 11
Dell all in one pc
Dell latitude E6540
(don't laugh) Lenovo T61
All are fine and working well in fact most seem faster ??????

lbp775

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
I haven't updated my Surfaces, but my Alienwares' working fine with 1803.
I've encountered 0 issue so far, lucky me.
* BSOD is rare on Windows these days. In the past... 10 years? I saw a BSOD twice. 1) On friend's iPhone and 2) my Alienware's RAM got burned due to the summer heat.

Alienware M17xR4 came with Win8 and Alienware team blocked the win10 update. Yes, even when I requested manually, Alienware just won't let me. I call that service.
* Unlike other OEMs or HW makers who let the Win10 install itself before all drivers ready...
I force updated it with a thumb drive right before the free campaign ended, so far so good.

So the update works for you without jumping through hoops? The update failed on my 13R3 because of some issue with the display driver.

Windows 10 April 2018 Update does not install on Alienware laptops

So I decided to wait for them to correct the update but now windows hello no longer works after the failed attempt to install.

buffalosolja

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I opened a Visual Studio Ticket as well to try and get help. It happened to me on my SB, HP Elite Book, and HP Elite Desk. My account the taskbar just blinks and makes machine unusable. Upon my ticket to MS I was told it would be fixed in RS5 and I would not be charged a ticket.....

fdruid

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I had ZERO problems with the April Update, and I installed it on day one in FIVE PCs of greatly varying specs and performance. Some with aging or exotic hardware. ZERO problems.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs