This device puts Surface Pro 4 to shame!

anon(10409867)

Feb 8, 2018
Visit site
I was looking for a portable touch display and I found this device.

https://magedok-shop.myshopify.com/products/11-6-inch-1080p-fhd-usb-c-capacitive-touch-portable-monitort116d?variant=12389783601175

untitled.png

This device allows wireless streaming from Windows or Android devices.

I think it can do everything that a Surface Pro can do and has a huge cost advantage. It costs 10% of what a typical Surface device can cost.

This makes me wonder, do we really need Surface Pro? With minor modifications like inclusion of an inbuilt battery and pen support, this will help to enhance the capabilities of existing Windows devices. I think if Microsoft really want wants to make a ground breaking device, they should plan on making devices like these. The only risk is that it can end up cannibalising Surface line of devices. But sometimes, it's important to hit refresh I guess!

Last edited:

jnjroach

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
No pen support and it's only HD... It's cool and all and I would consider it for an additional monitor for on the go but it doesn't resolve a Surface...

Adding battery and pen would bump it to $500 or more...

anon(10409867)

Feb 8, 2018
Visit site
No pen support and it's only HD... It's cool and all and I would consider it for an additional monitor for on the go but it doesn't resolve a Surface...

Adding battery and pen would bump it to $500 or more...

It is exactly a kind of thing that can add some sense to otherwise non-sensical Surface devices. Just consider the possible use cases for Surface Pro -

1. It cannot completely replace my laptop or desktop. SO I will always need another PC for real work.
2. I cannot use it for reading e-books because it's fat and heavy with terrible battery capacity from modern e-readers.
3. It cannot be used for writing either, because it writes really bad. It's good for drawing and sketching but not for writing.

If this is the case, why should I buy it?

On the contrary, if we remove all the heavy stuff out of it and just provide a simple touch enabled matte display that can be connected wirelessly to any smartphone, laptop, chrome book or MacBook and used for reading, writing or sketching, it would make a whole lot of sense to buy it even if it costs $350 (price of Surface Go)!!

But then, why would Microsoft make it? Microsoft is not a hardware company. And this exactly why Microsoft is not making such a device. But that in no way means that we don't need such a light and thing device. And I hope that someone somewhere is planning to make such a product. Or at least someone will now after reading whatever I wrote......

ochhanz

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site
It is exactly a kind of thing that can add some sense to otherwise non-sensical Surface devices. Just consider the possible use cases for Surface Pro -

1. It cannot completely replace my laptop or desktop. SO I will always need another PC for real work.
2. I cannot use it for reading e-books because it's fat and heavy with terrible battery capacity from modern e-readers.
3. It cannot be used for writing either, because it writes really bad. It's good for drawing and sketching but not for writing.

On the contrary, if we remove all the heavy stuff out of it and just provide a simple touch enabled matte display that can be connected wirelessly to any smartphone, laptop, chrome book or MacBook and used for reading, writing or sketching, it would make a whole lot of sense to buy it even if it costs $350 (price of Surface Go)!!

But then, why would Microsoft make it? Microsoft is not a hardware company. And this exactly why Microsoft is not making such a device. But that in no way means that we don't need such a light and thing device. And I hope that someone somewhere is planning to make such a product. Or at least someone will now after reading whatever I wrote......
, the whole idea of the Surface is that you can bring it easier with you than a standard laptop + that it can function as a pro tablet. With this screen, you have to carry two devices (a laptop/pc and a screen) with you, that is way more clumsy than just a large tablet. Also using this as a tablet is eventually going to be annoying because of the cable attached to your pc/laptop (you can not move easily without repositioning everything etc).

Anyway for many people the Surface Pro (the 6 atleast) can replace a pc/laptop perfectly fine for work. Same goes for the drawing (I guess). And using a pro tablet as an e-reader does indeed not make much sense :p , I mean how many people e.g. use a 12 inch Ipad Pro as an e-reader?

Anyway, Microsoft makes the Surface devices to inspire/help oems making cool Windows hybrid/detachable devices (and also probably to lure prosumers etc to Windows). I do think they can be improved but find them already pretty cool and flexible. I am personally more of a convertible laptop fan though since those often have better gpu's for lower prices and easier to upgrade & repair.

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site

I find your post totally not true at all and nonsensical ... maybe I'm not understanding what device your're talking about but my Surface pro 3 TOTALLY replaced my laptop/desktop... UNLESS your talking about heavy duty video editing app software or gaming! either way who is gonna bring a bloody desktop and that touch screen to do that heavy duty video editing or 3D editing? obviously you can't! Also another point is there is a plethora of laptops that can handle the task... I see no relevant usage for that screen except maybe connecting a phone to give you that bigger screen real-estate.... as for writing? I've seen people use the surface 3-4-5-6 (what have you) for writing all sorts of reports and not just signing documents... yes it ISN'T perfect but not as bad as you're making it... and just you thinking that inking gadget is better than a surface product is just laughable... but if I'm not understanding what you're talking about, then disregard my post LOL cuzz I can't believe what your're saying...

jnjroach

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm using a Surface Go as my only device...using it with the pen for taking notes in ink....I run a Technology Strategy Consulting Team for a global company with a billion dollar market cap....

I've haven't read a physical book in 15 years only eBooks always on Windows Tablets and since 2012 I've read all on Surface devices...

Sorry your logic on this thread is at best hyperbole....

anon(10409867)

Feb 8, 2018
Visit site
I'm using a Surface Go as my only device...using it with the pen for taking notes in ink....I run a Technology Strategy Consulting Team for a global company with a billion dollar market cap....

I've haven't read a physical book in 15 years only eBooks always on Windows Tablets and since 2012 I've read all on Surface devices...

Sorry your logic on this thread is at best hyperbole....

Everyone carries a 500 dollar smartphone with them 24/7 right? The device I am talking about will connect even to your smartphones wirelessly [similar to wireless continuum]. And then you can do whatever you do on a Surface, except, it will have better battery, it will be thin, it will be light and it will burn a smaller hole in your pocket! The only people who will suffer a loss due to this will be companies like Microsoft and Google because then they will sell lesser OS licenses. Hence they are not making such a device....

ochhanz

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site
Everyone carries a 500 dollar smartphone with them 24/7 right? The device I am talking about will connect even to your smartphones wirelessly [similar to wireless continuum]. And then you can do whatever you do on a Surface, except, it will have better battery, it will be thin, it will be light and it will burn a smaller hole in your pocket! The only people who will suffer a loss due to this will be companies like Microsoft and Google because then they will sell lesser OS licenses. Hence they are not making such a device....
, Microsoft does not earn much money with Windows 10 for consumers (they especially make money with e.g. Office and Azure). Also why would you even want a bigger secondary screen for your phone apps that are meant to be displayed at 5/6 inch screens? App will look very strange, either very upscaled or lots of unused space etc. Furthermore, you cannot install Windows 10 on phones so will be stuck with Android. I would suggest either try Samsung Dex with their Note phone or just get a convertible laptop with e.g. a gtx 1050 (15 inch Yoga 730 or Nitro Spin, both have pen support I believe), or possible wait for Microsoft's Andromeda device (if it will be released).

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site

but you didn't mention anything about connecting a phone... you just posted some mis-information rant about the Surface pro... like "I" mentioned in my last post that device is only good for using with a phone... anyways I pray that MSFT releases a foldable phone that will negate the device your talking about... c'mon MSFT don't let us down and pull through!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb