Pricing

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone else think the pricing on this is out of line? Let's look at the base 8GB of RAM model. To go from 128GB to 256GB of storage will set you back $300. That is an absurd amount of money to charge for an additional 128GB of storage.

Was interested in this device at first, but the pricing makes this a no go for me.

leo74

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the same boat. Wanted to replace my Envy X2 with it, but I but $1500 bucks plus about $300 for pen and cover puts it almost at twice what the Envy cost me all in. That seems like a non starter and it's really just the additional RAM I was looking for.

leo74

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Fair point, but it is also taking on other WoA devices, so the comparison with the X2 is not outlandish.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
That is the other thing. The SQ1 chip will not be available to other OEMs. It is exclusive to Microsoft. So, we may have to wait for a break down on materials to see why they justify that amount. This thing would put the X2 to shame though as for hw...

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
It is taking on the ipad pro. So let's compare apples to apples?

iPad Pro starts at $999, same as Surface Pro X. But iPad Pro upgrade to 256GB of storage is only $150. Microsoft is charging twice as much for the same storage increase. How can they justify that?

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
iPad Pro starts at $999, same as Surface Pro X. But iPad Pro upgrade to 256GB of storage is only $150. Microsoft is charging twice as much for the same storage increase. How can they justify that?
But...theirs is removable . Still you have a point.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site

What type of storage is it? Is that the only difference between those models?

I searched, but I couldn't find enough data to really say what the specs are or prices for sure.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site

I searched, but I couldn't find enough data to really say what the specs are or prices for sure.

It is either m.2 or the step above that, which I am not aware of what form factor would be better or faster than m.2 pcie. It has to be something better otherwise maybe there is some other spec that is bumped not directly listed when you go to 256GB. Microsoft would have a reason I am sure...

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site

That is the only difference between the two models, the storage space. I think Microsoft has shot themselves in the foot on pricing here. Charging double what Apple charges just isn't going to fly.

Cruncher04

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Indeed the SSD upgrade is a bit on the pricy side - on the other hand its the same for all the Surface models.
I am currently thinking of going with the 8GB/128GB Model and upgrading the SSD myself.

leo74

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
So, I pre-ordered. Microsoft sucked me in again :)

Worth mentioning is that there are 2 keyboards for this device. One is the Surface Pro X keyboard, but that does not seem to have the cradle for the slim pen.
The one that does, is included in they Surface Pro X Signature Keyboard bundle.
Interestingly enough, I found no way to order the signature keyboard alone, so the bundle seems to be the only way of getting it.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
That is the only difference between the two models, the storage space. I think Microsoft has shot themselves in the foot on pricing here. Charging double what Apple charges just isn't going to fly.

if it's removeable standard m.2 storage then you could just buy your own.

Cruncher04

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I also pre-ordered. I am going for the 16/256 model. Should be a nice upgrade for my Envy X2 :)
We are looking at 2xCPU performance, 3xGPU performance, 4xRAM - thats a huge jump.

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
My guess would be because of the proprietary removable SSD.

It's been stated that it's an M.2 form factor. Looking at the brief moments they show it in the videos, it looks like a 2226 size possibly. Took a quick look online, and while it's a standard M.2 size, I can't find anyone actually making an SSD that size. Seems to defeat the purpose of having removeable storage if only Microsoft can provide a replacement at hyper inflated prices.

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
So what does $300 buy you if you upgrade it yourself?

You can buy a Samsung 970 EVO at 1TB for $170. But that’s a 2280 size. As I’ve said, there are no SSD’s on the market with the M.2 form factor Microsoft went with.

I’m sure they were careful to do this so no one could buy cheaper storage from another party than Microsoft itself.

Cruncher04

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
You can buy a Samsung 970 EVO at 1TB for $170. But that’s a 2280 size. As I’ve said, there are no SSD’s on the market with the M.2 form factor Microsoft went with.

I’m sure they were careful to do this so no one could buy cheaper storage from another party than Microsoft itself.

Is it so far fetched to just assume, that there not more space in such a slim device, that they did not go with the "huge" 2280 form factor? M.2 2242 is almost half the size of M.2 2280. A 2226 would be even smaller...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs