Pricing

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
You can buy a Samsung 970 EVO at 1TB for $170. But that’s a 2280 size. As I’ve said, there are no SSD’s on the market with the M.2 form factor Microsoft went with.

I’m sure they were careful to do this so no one could buy cheaper storage from another party than Microsoft itself.

Even if that's the case, third parties will still make them; as soon as the device is out, manufacturers will be on it.

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I think the pricing is because for its intended users, it offers better features than a surface pro. For instance, longer battery life, LTE and always on capability.

For people that need x86 compatibility, well they're just not going to consider it, but then for a whole lot of people who mostly operate from a web browser, well, in some respects it presents better value, so they will probably look on price. If it was too cheap, then it would cannibalise sales of the surface pros, and they'd earn less money.

I also think that MS intentionally positions itself as a premium brand in order to not upset its partners, give them some market space to compete in as well.

anon(5395037)

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
You'll not upgrade it because 2230 ssd's are not produced for consumers anymore :D. Ther're only available for OEM devices :). Thats why its removable xD. You'll need to contact OEM like MS to buy one xD for high price ofcourse.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
You'll not upgrade it because 2230 ssd's are not produced for consumers anymore :D. Ther're only available for OEM devices :). Thats why its removable xD. You'll need to contact OEM like MS to buy one xD for high price ofcourse.
What's the price range for a 2230 ssd of 256gb?

Razius

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
It's been stated that it's an M.2 form factor. Looking at the brief moments they show it in the videos, it looks like a 2226 size possibly. Took a quick look online, and while it's a standard M.2 size, I can't find anyone actually making an SSD that size. Seems to defeat the purpose of having removeable storage if only Microsoft can provide a replacement at hyper inflated prices.

I read elsewhere, but it was confirmed to be a M.2 2230. There aren't too many of those drives around, but did find one available that was M.2 2230 512Gb for $100. It was a Western Digital 750 I think.

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Found some more info today and exactly what drive MS is using. It's a Toshiba BG4, which will only be available to OEM's.

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://www.anandtech.com/show/14962/the-toshiba-kioxia-bg4-1tb-ssd-review[/FONT]

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
This is exactly why they charge what they do. :smile: If you'll pay $600 for the upgrade, why would they charge you $100? Any product's value is what the customer is willing to pay for it.

I certainly won't pay it. I've decided to go with an iPad Pro. They charge half the amount for the same storage upgrades.

It's a shame none of the other big PC makers are making 2-in-1 detachables anymore. Guess that leading by example thing isn't working out for Microsoft.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I certainly won't pay it.

Somebody will. Vendors know that there is a fine line between sales volumes and markups. The higher the markup, the lower the volume. The lower the markup, the higher the volume. Taking all things into consideration, they attempt to set the price that returns the most profit.

For example, if the markup is $1, and you sell 100 widgets, you gain $100. If the markup is $100, you are obviously going to sell less volume because it costs $99 more. So you might sell one. Your gain is $100, the same as the previous example.

However, all else being equal, it costs less to receive, display, and sell one item than it does to sell 100 items. So the profit is higher with the markup of $100. Looking at it from a business standpoint, which makes more sense?

And yes, I realize that there are other benefits from higher sales volumes, such as exposure, more customers in the store who might buy other things, and so on. Those things are figured in as well in real life. My example is exaggerated, but it demonstrates the theory behind pricing.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Many items (tech, components, items solely manufactured over seas..) are staying choicly priced and may never go down for a while.. Or ever again for all we know. Tarrif wars...

bulls96

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
Just a thought..

This tablet has 4G modem and that usually means an extra $200-300 for other devices right (iPad etc)

So a little more justified on the price?

justjun555

Dec 29, 2017
Visit site
I think it is rightly priced. just because it runs Windows on arm people wants it to be cheap. but compared to ipad pro & surface pro 7 it is priced right imo.

Ipad pro 12.9 current generation priced at 999$ for 64gb of storage & without lte. With lte it's at 1149$.

Surface pro 7 with 8gb ram & 128 gb ssd cost 899$.

Last edited:

ochhanz

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site
If you can buy a cheaper drive of the same physical size - why not just do that instead?
, this, there will surely be some compatible drives on the market now or after a few months. Actually the thing that bothers me more is the lack of a microSd card, that would have been great for a 2nd disk and for photographers of course (I mean this thing is made for roadwarriors right?; why not include that microSd port too?).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers