Can the Pro X replace my Surface Go?

bulls96

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
Thinking of replacing my Go with this.

What do u guys think?

Pros and cons of Intel vs ARM?

I just need it to run my Citrix app for work, which I believe should be a non-issue.

Andyking1in

Oct 3, 2019
Visit site
If you are planning to replace surface pro X with Surface Go and you want me to give you one line answer then My answer is "go for it". If Money is not the constraint then you will not be disappointed with this beautiful Device.

Pros
Powerful new SQ1 processor
Almost bezel-less
Long battery life
Fast charging

Cons
Bit expensive
No headphone jack

As far as the ARM processor is concerned it is more advanced and power-efficient. Intel and ARM both are working hard to bring the best technology to the users but right now ARM is the clear winner. Surface Pro X has the best Specs :

CPU: Microsoft SQ1
RAM: 8GB or 16GB
Display: 13 inches (2880 x 1920)
Storage: 128GB, 256GB or 512GB
Ports: USB-C (2), 1 SurfaceConnect
Battery life: 13 hours (rated)
Wireless: 802.11ac Wi-Fi 5, LTE Advanced
Dimensions: 11.3 in x 8.2 in x 0.28 inches
Weight: 1.68 lbs

I hope this information will help you.

justjun555

Dec 29, 2017
Visit site
only con of arm is some of x86 programs may not work well with it considering emulation process .
it all depends on your use case. list out what programs you must need to use everyday & find out how well they work on Windows on arm platform ?

overall surface pro x is way more superior (and expensive ) product than surface go.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
We use Citrix at work as well. It doesn't affect my department but I have some experience with it. Unfortunately, I can't confirm if it works on ARM. I know Raiser's Edge recently switched over to Azure, so maybe there's a chance it functions without jumping through hoops, but it's hard to say without actually using it. Additionally, I can post the announcement email for when they upgraded us to Azure:

"As part of this enhancement, we’re leveraging our preferred cloud service provider Microsoft Azure to ensure your solution benefits from industry-leading infrastructure now, and into the future. Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge NXT is taking advantage of Microsoft’s state-of-the-art security and infrastructure. In addition, with this relocation, you’ll use a single sign on to get all users to the Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge NXT WebView through a single URL (no more dual login to Citrix!)."

anon(5327127)

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Until you read reviews, that are not from Engadget or the Verge, ignore all information above. A good, solid, performance review should answer your question.

bulls96

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
Until you read reviews, that are not from Engadget or the Verge, ignore all information above. A good, solid, performance review should answer your question.
I am eagerly awaiting those for sure. I have a feeling performance would actually be i5-like, just not as strong battery life as other ARM pcs.

Actually curious how photosshop performs. I don't actually have that on my Go but would certainly like it if it can quick photo edits when I travel. I have my Surface Book for serious work.

Cruncher04

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I am eagerly awaiting those for sure. I have a feeling performance would actually be i5-like, just not as strong battery life as other ARM pcs.

Ther performance surely is very much i5-like if you are running native apps. For emulated apps the performance typically is 1/2 native.
Problem with reviews is, that they usually do not bother finding native benchmarks.

ochhanz

Nov 15, 2017
Visit site

Actually curious how photosshop performs. I don't actually have that on my Go but would certainly like it if it can quick photo edits when I travel. I have my Surface Book for serious work.
, didn't they show some artists using Photoshop or some other Adobe drawing program on the SP X during the launch event? My gut feeling is that the X will be great for most artists. At tabletpcreview forum some people tested it and really liked the pen. Just to be safe though, wait for reviews (I think Windows Central is pretty good with reviews for these kind of devices concerning use cases and Notebookcheck is great for in depth hardware reviews).

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
The claim for emulation is 60-70% once you've compiled it (ie run it a few times). That should but this in an eight core 1.8-2.1ghz territory for emulated apps. Which to be honest should be good enough for some light gaming, with the GPU, although sadly it doesn't support OGL.

I think based on the spec, it should be more powerful than the surface go, even emulating (after a few runs). Even if it was half 1.5ghz on eight cores isn't bad (most intel chips run less), but that will also depend how optimized the apps are for more than four cores. Honestly think this will be the first ARM device that passes the performance threshold for emulation into usable. Wouldn't want to use it for huge desktop applications, or heavy music composition (unless arm compiled), but should be a darn site better, and a good replacement for the go.

We'll see reviews soon enough though. Might as well wait for em.

Cruncher04

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
The claim for emulation is 60-70% once you've compiled it (ie run it a few times). That should but this in an eight core 1.8-2.1ghz territory for emulated apps. Which to be honest should be good enough for some light gaming, with the GPU, although sadly it doesn't support OGL.´

OpenGL ES apps should run via Googles ANGLE library. However this is mostly useful when porting from Android though.

I think based on the spec, it should be more powerful than the surface go, even emulating (after a few runs). Even if it was half 1.5ghz on eight cores isn't bad (most intel chips run less), but that will also depend how optimized the apps are for more than four cores. Honestly think this will be the first ARM device that passes the performance threshold for emulation into usable. Wouldn't want to use it for huge desktop applications, or heavy music composition (unless arm compiled), but should be a darn site better, and a good replacement for the go.

We'll see reviews soon enough though. Might as well wait for em.

Agreed - in particular since the Surface Go is just a 2 core machine. Surface Pro X is 4 big + 4 little cores - and they can run at the same time if the application supports 8 threads.

mr_jomo

Nov 2, 2019
Visit site
From what I remember on my old Surface RT was there was a Citrix app that worked. However, I don't know if that is still available.

The latest Citrix Workspace app is available on the Microsoft store in ARM-version. That's probably a good starting point.

mr_jomo

Nov 2, 2019
Visit site
From what I remember on my old Surface RT was there was a Citrix app that worked. However, I don't know if that is still available.

The latest Citrix Workspace app is available on the Microsoft store in ARM-version. That's probably a good starting point.

bulls96

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
So far it's a worthwhile upgrade from the Go.

It is much faster than my Go.

Runs my apps faster.

It is expectedly heavier. But makes up for it with that huge beautiful screen.

And battery life is waaaay better than my Go. When I am charting with my Go, I have to charge it by after lunch. With the Pro X, it is at 30% at the end of my day

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos