LTE bands? Restricted to specific carriers?

gmoore114

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
[URL="https://forums.windowscentral.com/e?link=https%3A%2F%2Fclick.linksynergy.com%2Fdeeplink%3Fid%3DkXQk6%252AivFEQ%26mid%3D24542%26u1%3DUUwpUvbUpU3795433%26murl%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Fwww.microsoft.com%252Fen-us%252Fsurface%252Fdevices%252Fsurface-pro-x%252Ftech-specs%2522&token=ZTwYd3fR]https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/devices/surface-pro-x/tech-specs[/URL]

They are listed here. Check is the carrier bands you want are there

slamroc

Jun 21, 2017
Visit site
Hello,
I was trying to get confirmation from Verzion that they would support the device, but they will not offer any information. Has anyone heard anything about it? They tell me they would not guarantee anything until after I've gotten the device and can give them the IMEI number which seems unacceptable to me...

Their response:

SmartSelect_20191017-204457_Messenger.jpg

chsoriano

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I activated mine at an AT&T store today (Texas). Unfortunately, as with all brand new devices, it seems AT&T isn't sure what to do with it yet. It is only getting 3G+ (HSPA) service and is unable to be added as a tablet currently. The in-store rep was arguing with a call-center about it being a tablet and not a smartphone (which is what the call center rep was seeing in the system).

In the end, I walked out with it at least connected, but the reps assured me after 24 hours they should be able to move it to the right plan and it should start getting LTE service. Time will tell.

slamroc

Jun 21, 2017
Visit site
I chatted with Verizon today now that I could give them an IMEI number. The chat rep said all should be good to connect to the Verizon network - I'll head to the store and see if they can do it.

Thanks for sharing about AT&T

dpgx81

Nov 22, 2016
Visit site
FWIW with unlocked cell phones on AT&T that are not carrier supported (i.e. Huawei), I've used my other IMEI's from an AT&T branded phone. I would imagine something like this may work here too. How much a month are they asking for a data only plan if you don't mind me asking? I need to pickup a SIM for mine as well.

chsoriano

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
AT&T said they would put mine on a tablet plan with "unlimited" data for $20/month.

I'm waiting for them to just get it working. Today the device won't connect to the network

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
chsoriano;[URL="tel:3798449" said:
3798449[/URL]]AT&T said they would put mine on a tablet plan with "unlimited" data for $20/month.

I'm waiting for them to just get it working. Today the device won't connect to the network

Did you find that plan on their website or did you call? I haven't been able to find anything that good.

chsoriano

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Did you find that plan on their website or did you call? I haven't been able to find anything that good.

No I was in store. Sounds good, but so far no luck. It's been 24 hours so I'm thinking about going to Verizon or someone else to see if I can get it to work. Maybe I can do it online with eSIM, haven't looked into other options yet

chsoriano

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Yes - went to the Verizon store today - popped in a nano SIM - worked instantly.

If you don't mind me asking, how much is the plan Verizon put your Pro X on? I'm thinking about going to a Verizon store and seeing if they can get me online.

I was at the AT&T store for 2+ hours today and they couldn't figure out how to get my device connected as a tablet (supposed to be $20/month). It seems they are suggesting adding a full smartphone line ($40/month) and are thinking it *might* work. Kind of frustrating that AT&T can't figure out how to get my device on their network.

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
If you don't mind me asking, how much is the plan Verizon put your Pro X on? I'm thinking about going to a Verizon store and seeing if they can get me online.

I was at the AT&T store for 2+ hours today and they couldn't figure out how to get my device connected as a tablet (supposed to be $20/month). It seems they are suggesting adding a full smartphone line ($40/month) and are thinking it *might* work. Kind of frustrating that AT&T can't figure out how to get my device on their network.

I tried adding it through my AT&T account under the tablet plans with the "Bring Your Own Device" option but it said the IMEI wasn't recognized. I'm wondering if because the product is so new that maybe the IMEIs haven't been shared fully with wireless carriers?

slamroc

Jun 21, 2017
Visit site
I've been with Verizon for a while and have one of those older Everything plans with unlimited data - the surface is just added as an additional phone line for $20 a month.

I already had this service with them for the Samsung Galaxy Book 12 for probably the last two years or so. I thought I'd just swap out the SIM in that machine, bit it was too big (the surface demands a nano SIM), so I just went to the Verizon store - they out in a new SIM and it was working in less than 5 minutes.

bulls96

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
No problems with my t-mobile sim
a386556c1c25dcf18e27d36665500273.jpg

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Just spent 2 days talking with AT&T. They had no problem adding the device to my mobile share plan - $10/month sharing the data that I have. The issue is that they don't support the Surface's eSim, so I have to go in to a store and get a nano sim. Hopefully once I have that everything will work as expected. I'll update once I have the sim card in.

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Just spent 2 days talking with AT&T. They had no problem adding the device to my mobile share plan - $10/month sharing the data that I have. The issue is that they don't support the Surface's eSim, so I have to go in to a store and get a nano sim. Hopefully once I have that everything will work as expected. I'll update once I have the sim card in.

I ended up going with the nano SIM because there were too many complications activating the eSIM. It works perfectly with AT&T LTE.

Annotation 2019-11-25 145613.png

vzw8830

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My X is working fine on AT&T, it seems it doesnt support LTE band "17" Which is one of the 2 main AT&T bands along w/ "12"
Everywhere I've travled with my surface im able to hit LTE connection but at my house only 4G. My phones are able to grab the LTE signal along with the sim from the surface when used in one of my phones also pulls LTE signal.

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...s%2Fsurface-pro-x%2Ftech-specs&token=bjOXJcZ5
From the Microsoft site "
Up to Gigabit LTE Advanced Pro⁴ with nanoSIM and eSIM support. LTE Bands supported: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 14, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 29, 30, 38, 39, 40, 41, 46, 66"

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99