Who's using the Pro X without LTE?

bulls96

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
I wonder how many of the X buyers are using it with a sim.

I think it's an important part of its value proposition... Paying extra for that LTE connectivity.

For me, I don't use it on a daily basis, but might use my extra sim when we travel. The extra Sim I have is in my child's phone. (use it mainly to track them - data only sim)

Last edited:

toddpart

Jul 17, 2004
Visit site
I'm not using the LTE. I travel globally a lot for work and it is a very rare occasion that there is not WiFi access in some form or fashion. When there is none, it literally takes 20 seconds to attach to my phone hotspot. I really don't see the need to pay for another SIM.

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I haven't been able to activate the LTE yet. I've been trying to add it to my ATT plan using the esim but it keeps coming back as IMEI not recognized. I haven't had a chance to go into an ATT store to see about getting a SIM card until it all gets straightened out.

My thought was to use a pay as you go plan since I don't know how frequently I'll use it, but I fear that when I do use it it'll end up costing more than the $20/month to add it to my current plan.

slamroc

Jun 21, 2017
Visit site
I really do use the LTE a lot. I have little kids and I'm always sitting in the waiting room of a dance class or sporting event. Having LTE helps a lot to get work done.

vzw8830

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I've found myself using it a lot. Sure is a lot more stable of a connection that on the Surface 3. If it wasnt for the LTE I would have probably leaned towards getting an i7 Surface 7. Happy with my decision as I kept my Surface 4 i5 for any time I find myself needing an x86-64 app which hasn't happened yet.

naddy6969

Aug 8, 2017
Visit site
Haven't used it yet. Probably never will.

I have had an iPad Pro with LTE for over a year. Never used the LTE on that either.

Wifi is everywhere. In the few places where it is not available (in a car with someone else driving), I use my work phone as a hotspot. Company pays for it, so win-win.

fulnix

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
In these times of lockdown I need to be connected for work always. When our internet has gone down my Surface Pro X is a life saver! I pop in the sim from my phone and I'm up when many others are having issues! I don't use it all the time but if you have a job where you must have some connection at all times this is the device to have!

naddy6969

Aug 8, 2017
Visit site
“I pop in the sim from my phone and I'm up when many others are having issues! ”

Why not just leave the sim in your phone and enable the Wi-Fi hotspot? I do this on the rare occasions when my cable internet goes out. The advantage is you can connect multiple devices to the phone, instead of moving the SIM card to a single device to get it online.

fulnix

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
When the SIM is in the device, SPX, it doesn't count as tethering data on my "unlimited" plan.

So I truly Unlimited data instead of only 25G of tethering data.

If you work remotely 25G can be used pretty quick within a month.

IfI have one quick task I'll tether, if I'm planning to work via cellular data for the day or half day I'll switch the SIM card.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills