Surface Pro 7 ethernet connection on USB-C does not work

rvlden

Jan 12, 2020
Visit site
I have a new Surface Pro 7 with all the latest updates installed. Wifi connection is working fine.
When I tried to connect to my wired network using a USB-C to ethernet adapter, it works fine the first time I make the connection, but whenever I reconnect I get continuing error messages stating the the "USB device Caused a malfunction" and "Windows no longer recognises this device".
Of course I tried different adapters (2 x StarTech, 1 x Belkin and 1 x UNI). The latter was suggested by Microsoft Support as an approved and tested device. All of them gave the same error. Using a USB 3.0 to ethernet adapter on the normal USB port works fine.
Microsoft support does not seem to know the answer. I guess there is something wrong with the USB-C driver. Anyone having the same problem or may be a solution?

pkcable

VR Expert
Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
Unfortunately I can not provide an answer, but wanted to let you know I deleted the other post for you. :) Hopefully someone will come along shortly and provide an answer. :)

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
All I can suggest is to try yet another adapter and also try to update your drivers for the adapter as well? If you are running the latest one, try rolling back to an older one and see if that makes a difference. Usually though, if you get the error message you described, it's driver related or port related.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa