Would you buy again?

jnjroach

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Yes - I love this device. My only real gripe is they put the power button on the right side of the device which is a problem using it in portrait mode.

toddpart

Jul 17, 2004
Visit site
Without a doubt! I've had multiple Surface Pros over the years all the way back to the RT and this is by far the best. Display is great and not having to have the pen hang off the side anymore is great. Fast, battery gets me through all day, zero app compatibility issues. The closest thing to a negative that I can think of is that I have one 3rd party PowerPoint add-in that runs a bit more slowly than it did on my x86 Surface Pro 5.

spookyactionGB

May 11, 2020
Visit site
I would, but Microsoft needs to commit to ARM fully. Emulation is not the future.....native ARM64 is. And until MS starts fully developing in house apps that are fully ARM64 I don't see that other developers will commit. For example PowerShell, various cloud modules for PowerShell, Office, Teams etc.

The rumour mill over at Cupertino is that Apple is looking to drop Intel in favour of ARM. So it will be interesting to see how things develop.

rRamjet

Apr 20, 2020
Visit site
It is getting better with time. If I was buying again I would go for the 16GB or RAM version. Mine is the 8GB and sits at 7 most of the time. I think the crashes I get are related to RAM overload. I was going to take it back early on but with the updates it is running faster and more stable than when I bought it and am quite happy.

bradavon

Nov 27, 2016
Visit site
In a heart beat. Bes PC I've ever owned.

Design is awesome, screen is awesome, battery is awesome, Edge is awesome.

Your Phone, Outlook and Evernote run well. I've read Evernote is slow but I've not seen this. Spotify is a little laggy but it's laggy on my Surface Pro 4 too.

Not everyone has a need for Adobe apps, Games, Benchmark apps or stuff like this.

bradavon

Nov 27, 2016
Visit site
I would, but Microsoft needs to commit to ARM fully. Emulation is not the future.....native ARM64 is. And until MS starts fully developing in house apps that are fully ARM64 I don't see that other developers will commit.
Good point.

The Office apps runs well but where is Teams for ARM64 Microsoft?

They're pushing Teams hard at the moment but don't have an ARM64 version.

naddy6969

Aug 8, 2017
Visit site
I would, but Microsoft needs to commit to ARM fully. Emulation is not the future.....native ARM64 is. And until MS starts fully developing in house apps that are fully ARM64 I don't see that other developers will commit. For example PowerShell, various cloud modules for PowerShell, Office, Teams etc.

This is the very reason I sold mine on eBay and bought another iPad Pro. No native ARM apps. If MS can’t be bothered, then no one else will either.

Yes, Edge is native ARM, but little else is. Mail, Groove Music, Windows Media Player, Weather, Office, Teams, etc. are all still - after a year - X86 code running in emulation. Even the Edge updater that runs in the background is X86, to update an ARM app. Not to mention several other background services.

I loved the hardware, but having even the basic apps running in emulation is completely unacceptable. In its current state, Windows on ARM makes as much sense as iOS on Intel would. The alleged benefits are purely theoretical.

Last edited:

jnjroach

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
This is the very reason I sold mine on eBay and bought another iPad Pro. No native ARM apps. If MS can’t be bothered, then no one else will either.

Yes, Edge is native ARM, but little else is. Mail, Groove Music, Windows Media Player, Weather, Office, Teams, etc. are all still - after a year - X86 code running in emulation. Even the Edge updater that runs in the background is X86, to update an ARM app. Not to mention several other background services.

I loved the hardware, but having even the basic apps running in emulation is completely unacceptable. In its current state, Windows on ARM makes as much sense as iOS on Intel would. The alleged benefits are purely theoretical.

You keep telling this story and its not entirely true -

Mail
OneNote
PowerBI
Whiteboard
Edge

are all native ARM apps
ProX ARM and ARM64 Apps in TaskManager.png

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members