I’m looking to build an off grid security camera system. I need to laptop or tablet to run the camera software all the time. This device will have a dedicated solar battery system and will have protection from the weather. The surface pro7+LTE seems like a good device for this application since it has a lot of features I need. One of the main options I need is the security software needs a laptop quality processor(i3+). I have several questions related to my use case.

1. I read that the surface pro 7 will turn off after a period of time with no use. Is there a way to disable this feature?

2. If it looses power and after the battery dies, I would need it to restart once power is restored. Is this possible. I was able to do this in pervious computers through BIOS settings.

3. When it restarts after power failure, I would need the security software to restart. I assume, being a Win 10 platform, this would be possible like other windows based machines.

Much appreciated
    02-02-2021 02:08 PM
    1. I read that the surface pro 7 will turn off after a period of time with no use. Is there a way to disable this feature?
    Turning off hibernation. Setting Sleep time to Never. And keeping the charger attached should be enough to get the job done. I've never set a Surface device to always-on but that's how I've done it on other computers.

2. If it looses power and after the battery dies, I would need it to restart once power is restored. Is this possible. I was able to do this in pervious computers through BIOS settings.
    On my Surface Go 2, I can go into the BIOS (hold volume up+power button while turning on) and from there I can set it to automatically power on after a power loss. I imagine the same works for the Pro 7.

3. When it restarts after power failure, I would need the security software to restart. I assume, being a Win 10 platform, this would be possible like other windows based machines.

Personally, I open Run, type in Shell:Startup, then place the application shortcut in the startup folder. However, being Windows,
    you can use the same method you used in the past.
    excalibur1814 likes this.
    02-02-2021 04:07 PM