Question on Heat i7 vs i5

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I have had a Pro 7 i5 for almost a year and use it as my everyday device for work and play. I dock it during work hours to use 9-5. I have had some instances where my i5 gets warm and slows down to a crawl. So I am thinking of "upgrading" to the i7 because it has the internal fan.

Does anyone have any real world experience between the two to help me out? Was wondering if my expectation meets reality.
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

spicypadthai

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Your logic is sound. I can't personally vouch for it but you'll need to provide more info about your workload for anyone to offer much feedback. What are you doing with it? Are you a developer? What apps are you using? Are you gaming with it? Regardless, the best thing may be to buy the i7 directly from MS so you get the 60-day return policy. That'll give you plenty of time to see for yourself.

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
HI Spicy. Insurance work. Multiple Edge Chrome windows open. Dedicated piece of insurance management software. Teams w/Business Voice, outlook desktop. Sharepoint and OneDrive Syncing, sometimes streaming some news or music via spotify.

I have been getting some dekstop crashes in DWM.exe from HEATCORE.DLL. Thought it was from overheating but from what I read OneNote causes issue and it may be from the PEN. Which I do use onenote to write notes while on calls too. That seems to be when the crash occurs. Made me think of this post I made to come check for replies.

I have it plugged into the SD2 with 4K monitors while here at my office. I switched my wife and I both over to SP7 i5 with docks so we could unplug and go. Sit at a customers house and pull up everything we need "in the field" while also having the capability to work anywhere/everywhere. My wife hasn't had the same issue so makes me wonder if I am just pushing the limits.

Just downloaded a ton of new firmwares and intel drivers yesterday. I hoped it would address it but it didnt.

anon(5327127)

May 25, 2011
Visit site
P.S. I've owned both an i5 and i7 7 Pro (I now have an i5 7+).

After watching reviews, especially from Cbutters, I came to the conclusion that there's no real reason to get the i7, over the i5.

Now... the i5 7+, on the other hand, beats the 7 i7. So... if you're thinking of changing, possibly go for the 7+. I changed the drive on mine to a 1Tb drive (Sourced from a CalDigit Tuff Nano)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05