Get Pro 7+ now or wait for Pro 8?

ernvonco

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I would recommend to wait if your need is not time sensitive. I expect a lot of announcements in the October event, specially now with pens getting haptic features with Windows 11.

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I may as well post here, considering it's the same question.

With the SP8 having been launched and whatever, and I've seen that the SP8 will be available with LTE, I sort of wonder what opinions there are between the two. Differences are bigger than most previous series, but I'm leaning towards the &+ only because it still retains the USB-A port, which lets face it, there's a lot of USB-A devices still out there being used, I have a lot, so I'm not too keen on dropping it for a second USB-C port.

The screen on the 8 may be better, but my perception is that MS always uses high quality displays in the first instance, and while 120hz is nice, I'll never use it if it means sacrificing any battery life.

So what are other people's thoughts? The 7+ appears to be discounted, I'm interested in the LTE model, do you think the new features on the 8 make it worthwhile?

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I turned off 120hz on my Pro 8. Even if it is smoother, there's not a big enough difference between 60 and 120 to justify the hit to the battery. I'll take a little bit of stutter if it means not having to charge as often.

That said, the good news is that there's really no wrong choice here. They are both great devices. If you often use USB-A devices then the 7+ might be the better choice for you. I've been living the dongle life for a few years so I understand how annoying it can be when you need to plug in one thing but you have to plug in the dongle first.

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
I welcome the release of the SP8, so I can find an even better deal on a (probably black) 6 or 7. I don't need the performance and screen improvements of the 8 (or even 7+), nor the new ports, and I still want the USB-A port and especially the SD card slot that are no longer featured on the 8. I'm confident the 6 and 7 would be upgradable to Win 11, though even that that would not be a requirement for me. I believe the 7 is slightly heavier than the 6, and that the 8 is a little heavier still. Lighter is always better in a portable device, along with battery life. Enjoy you shopping and eventual selection.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon