Greetings all. After reading the excellent Daniel Rubino article I was inspired to get the 256 GB model and upgrade. 2020 hind sight, I wish I would have ordered the 512 or 1TB model and just spent the money.

I bought the 1TB WD drive and had no luck. I have a lot of experience imaging computers. I tried from official MS media, my own recovery drive and Acronis. It would crash with that drive no matter what. ssd_crash.jpg. I am still excited about making this work.

I am curious to know if you plan to try this and if you have what drive did you use and how is it working.

I am thinking of getting the Kioxia_Toshiba drive.

The seller of the WD drive says that he thinks it is not the drives fault. I just know it will not work as an OS drive on my Surface pro 8. I can make it work as a stand alone drive in my external enclosure but that is not needed.

Not sure if I got a bad drive or compatibility issue with this model. (CH SN530 M.2 2230 SSD). Pleas share your experience and thoughts. Also good luck if you go down this road.
    10-31-2021 10:00 AM
    You've probably already done this, but if not, have you tried formatting the drive?
    10-31-2021 11:15 AM
    Thanks, yes in deed. Used a couple of utilities and also just formatted in windows. Disk clone would never work with Acronis. Might have worked from different computer if I had two nvme enclosers but only had one.
    10-31-2021 01:43 PM
    My Surface Pro 03 & 05 were just 512GB so I humbled myself and set my sights a little lower. I just decided to shop 512G new or used from American sellers. I bought a 512GB M.2 2230 NVMe PCIe SSD XA1-31512 for $65 bucks. It wont be here until the 4th thru 9th. I also got another little nvme enclosure to clone the drive if needed.
    HeyCori likes this.
    10-31-2021 07:46 PM
    I did the same as you. Purchased 256GB SP8 and a CH SN530 SSD. Installation went fine with a recovery image on USB thumb drive, but then started getting BSOD crashes randomly. Ran all sorts of computer, memory and drive diagnostics and reinstalled with a clean image download. Same issues. Works great until it crashes. Seller said is a driver issue and that WD has not released a compatible update. Waiting (not so) patiently.
    11-15-2021 09:48 AM
    Thanks for sharing, just found this. I ended up purchasing a used official MS 512 hard drive on ebay. Someone had upgraded their surface laptop to a TB. That drive totally works.
    https://forums.windowscentral.com/e?...token=lx82J7MF
    https://forums.windowscentral.com/e?...token=dy0f4ly2
    If you can find one of these, I strongly encourage.
    HeyCori likes this.
    11-24-2021 07:04 AM