Is the Surface Studio too expensive?

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Simple question, is it too expensive for you? If it is, what would you have liked to have seen the price set at? (and no, don't say FREE) :p

Cane Prevost

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
It's too expensive for me to buy right now. If it was 2 grand I'd be more willing to entertain the idea. It's a good value for what you get. Just not going to be an impulse buy for anyone at this price.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
It's out of my budgetary range, but so is its primary competition which I would never buy. Based purely on its capabilities, I would say it's priced about right.

DCW1000

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
Well, I ordered one within minutes after watching the presentation, so I guess it's not too expensive for me. That may have been a quick decision, but I don't think it can be characterized as an impulse buy. I saw what it could do, and I recognized that it played to what I needed but couldn't bring off easily with my current set up.

To my mind I wasn't buying a single thing with a fixed and reasonable independent valuation. I was buying an environment in which I could work more quickly and more efficiently with less clutter on my tabletop than is there right now. It feels to me that about half to two-thirds of the money I committed to spending is for the device itself, and the rest buys me the improved work environment and enhanced productivity I anticipate. For that kind of package, three to four K is reasonable.

OW1954

Nov 24, 2016
Visit site
It is definitely way too expensive for me. Sure, I'd use it for professional purposes only but I'm just afraid it won't meet my expectations. It looks awesome (from the presentation) but I'm also afraid there will be a lot of bugs (as usual).
I'll rather wait until someone tries it and posts their feedback here and then I'll decide whether it's worth my money or not.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
In one sense it's a good deal. The monitor itself can justifiably sell for $2000.

Wacom's 27" Cintiq Touch is $2700 and the pen has two mappable buttons on the side as well as tilt sensitivity. But the screen isn't as good. It's overpriced in my opinion, due to lack of decent competition.

The computer in the Surface Studio is standard fare, but its design allows it to take up such little space.

I think the entry level Surface Studio is probably priced about right. The higher end versions are over priced since the real thing that makes this computer stand out is the monitor. Charging an additional $1200 for some better specs seems a bit over the top.

I think the Surface Studio would be a better value if the monitor could be decoupled from the computer. Even if it's with a special proprietary connector that only lets it connect to MS Surface Studio systems.

I'd be much more inclined to shell out the money for one if I knew that in a few years I could buy a new Surface Studio computer by utself and plug it into my existing monitor. Even of that computer was a little over priced.

rollindice

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
It's not expensive, remember its for professionals using in their profession and thus it will make them bring in more income bt being more innovative with the Studio

cavicord

Dec 3, 2016
Visit site
Honestly if i think as general person yes it is expensive but when i looks it and think as professional as i m designer then the price doesn't matter as creativity like this deserve some extra... i just love it and ordered for me as well...

unmorphed

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
If it's too expensive for you, you don't need it.

Period.

This isn't some kind of a widget made to be sold to every person in the planet.

amattei

Dec 5, 2016
Visit site
yes is expensive and and the people who developed it did not think about how expensive it came out to be for a minute.
and as Mr Gates said on his book "Buisines in the digtal era" The new machine is not the best ever, the one that you have and can take the work out no matter how old, that's the best machine in the world.

Srdjan Colakovic

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
I could totally use it for graphic design and video editing, it's the perfect device for me as a creator, but it's still very expensive. Worth it, but expensive. The problem is that there is no other device that is this perfect though. It's a complete package.

ananve

May 22, 2016
Visit site
It's not expensive considering what it offered. If I am a target market for this, I'd definitely bit this.
Well, firstly, I've to pray it comes to my country first.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb