Surface Studio first impressions!

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Starting up this thread for anyone that picks up a Surface Studio when available (or perhaps there are some that have already tried it!)

Would really love to hear from some initial impressions. How has the experience been so far? You love it? Hate it? Will you pick up the Surface Dial as well?

DCW1000

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
I have had mine for two weeks and basically love it. I got the dial, which has some rudimentary utility at basic levels of operation and which I expect to be far more useful when I get into heavy use of the graphic and design capabilities for which I bought the machine. Other obligations have limited my time with the machine and may not give me a chance to dig deeply into its power before January. Nothing I have seen so far makes me have second thoughts about the purchase.

Matty

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
I have had mine for two weeks and basically love it. I got the dial, which has some rudimentary utility at basic levels of operation and which I expect to be far more useful when I get into heavy use of the graphic and design capabilities for which I bought the machine. Other obligations have limited my time with the machine and may not give me a chance to dig deeply into its power before January. Nothing I have seen so far makes me have second thoughts about the purchase.

I don't know anyone brave enough (or rich enough) to purchase the Surface Studio but its nice to heard some positive reviews about it from someone other than big tech review sites. :)

Would be nice hear for 'long term' review after using it for 2 months or so.

grob9642

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the post. Please update as you use the machine and let us all know what likes and dislikes you have. I am very interested in purchasing one of these machines and need feedback. Thanks again.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
Looking at the Surface Book (with performance base), and the Surface Studio, don't really need either, but want BOTH:). Not enough info to make a decision.

htmiata

Dec 15, 2016
Visit site
Here is my iPad Pro next to the Studio display. I tell people when I describe the Studio is that it is like a gigantic iPad running Windows.

My iPad Pro display had the display brightness maxed out while the Studio display was maybe at midpoint.

I went to the Studio and Sp4 because I wanted to use Windows based software such as Photoshop. The Cloud version of PS on iPad just didn't cut it for me where Windows on Surface devices is spot on.

Software companies need to catch up with the features that the dial might bring them.

I am contemplating sticking a SSD 2 or 4 TB drive in place of the mechanical hard drive. But the earliest I might do that would be this summer. Start up is pretty fast, not as fast as my iPads but very good.

I like the Bluetooth devices as they don't use up any of the USB ports. I have one USB port that has a port extender in it that gives me a total of three in that one. I have a mouse that has a built in ball to move the pointer and I have used that for what seems like forever, so I needed a place to plug in the receiver. It would be nice to have a few more ports but not the end of the world.

I have a LG blue ray drive attached to burn disks or read them. That has worked well with both Surface devices I now have.

I have a G Raid Raid1 6 TB (x2) drive attached to back my photos up on. I am pleased with its performance. Having lost files before I am anal about redundancy for my files.

The display as has been said before is nothing short of spectacular.

What other observations/questions can I answer?

Paytheon

Mar 17, 2017
Visit site
I've had my Surface Studio for 5 days now and I'm still blown away with the 28" touch screen monitor, video graphics, and resolution. My usage is for both work and home so this means my system stays on 24X7 day and night. I've added 2 external LG 34" 3440X1440 monitors to my Surface Studio and am impressed with it's performance both for work and home. X-Plane 11 plays perfectly with zero lag on all 3 monitors. I do not use the keyboard and mouse that came with the box system, found the keyboard rather "non-standard" and the mouse extremely uncomfortable when it came to the scroll wheel (abrasive). I do enjoy the Surface Dial and use it all the time if for nothing more than to scroll while reading. I find the Surface Dial comfortable to use as an input All-in-all I love this system and would highly recommend it to others.

20170317_125135.jpg

Paytheon

Mar 17, 2017
Visit site
I have both the Surface Book and the Surface Studio. Both are excellent systems when it comes to usability and performance. The form-fit-function for each system is excellent and I use them both for my work as a software developer and play as a gamer.

Attachments

• 20170317_125135.jpg
    20170317_125135.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 6

Filibuster

Mar 24, 2017
Visit site
I love my Studio, even with the occasional quirk. My iMac was dying. The local mall had Microsoft and Apple and I went back and forth, LITERALLY! The display, the touchscreen, etc. all made me lean towards the Studio, but I was pretty attached to iPhoto/Photos on my Mac because of the mapping feature. (Beautiful mountain shot, but where is that?!) However, the Microsoft rep introduced me to GeoPhoto in the Microsoft Store and decision made. Very happy with my choice!
No, not an artist, but I work in education and use Macs and PCs regularly. Comfortable in both worlds, but Apple just hasn't had the innovation lately. A touch BAR? Ooooohhh ahhhhh zzzzzzz. Sorry, Apple. Still love my iPad, though. :)

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
@Filibuster - glad you're happy with your Studio! It is definitely one sexy machine, a tad jealous over here!

Also, THANK YOU for joining us! I see your post above is your first post! Great to have you with us!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb