Do You Think We'll See This For The Surface?

BotanicalStig

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Just though I'd bring this up,

I'm excited about the surface, and I understand that this "flaw" that I'm about to bring up doesn't exist in other w8 tablets, but the surface's hardware is just... almost perfect. The size, material, I love everything about it. The other devices are either too big, feel cheap because of the plastic, etc. In other words, I want a Surface Pro, it's enough to replace my laptop, but this "flaw" would make that quite difficult.

It'd be an easy fix, an accessory from Microsoft, or from the aftermarket, would make the device perfect. The issue I'm having with it is... The device can't stand up without the kickstand. The kickstand is fine, I have no problem with it being there, if you want a super thin keyboard for mobility it's great... But if I'm laying/sitting on the couch or bed (when I would use my laptop- for God's sake if I wanted to sit at a desk, I could use a desktop) the floppy *** keyboards Microsoft showed off wouldn't be able to hold it up... And no, I'm not going to use it like a tablet at home, holding it up like a huge cell phone is uncomfortable... It's why I've never gotten a tablet before.

So I'd really like to see a heftier keyboard option that can hold the screen up on it's own. The specs of this little thing really are enough to replace an every day computer, yet it comes in an ultra portable form factor, so cool. With it, you won't need to keep both a laptop/desktop for every day computing and a tablet for when you need to go mobile. Which I love. However, the keyboards they've paired to it just don't cut it for me. On a flight, or somewhere else with a table, sure it'd be fine. But at home, it just isn't the most useful accessory to me. Do you think something like this would be a good option to have? I sure hope someone brings a better keyboard option to the table.

marantaz

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Well, I can see myself not using the keyboard at all if I'm lounging around the house... the virtual keyboard will probably do just fine, if it's anything like the keyboard on my Trophy. But I think the Pro keyboard is more solid than the soft cover/keyboard of the RT, but maybe I'm wrong about that; I would think that either would work on either version of the Surface, but again, I could be wrong, though I don't see why they wouldn't. If not, if you're right that either keyboard is too soft, I'm sure some third party will come up with something you'll like. Maybe a bluetooth keyboard that you can use on your lap while the Surface stands visible elsewhere?

tayfelix

May 4, 2012
Visit site
But I think the Pro keyboard is more solid than the soft cover/keyboard of the RT,
both surface rt and pro will have the same touch and type keyboard . There's a bad thing to the keyboards. U can use it on UR lap, ARGh, the surface will fall off:/

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
If you plan to use the Surface with a physical kb 99% of the time, DON'T BUY A SURFACE. Keep your laptop, or get a new one. Supporting the Surface with some type of slot would be no easy task. The kb would have to weigh more (significantly more) than the tablet for counterbalance. And not sure how big the bezel is around the Surface, but you would need at least 1/2"+ to slip the edge of the tablet into a tight, spring type slot. Not something I will be shopping for.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
If you plan to use the Surface with a physical kb 99% of the time, DON'T BUY A SURFACE. Keep your laptop, or get a new one. Supporting the Surface with some type of slot would be no easy task. The kb would have to weigh more (significantly more) than the tablet for counterbalance. And not sure how big the bezel is around the Surface, but you would need at least 1/2"+ to slip the edge of the tablet into a tight, spring type slot. Not something I will be shopping for.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro
With the proper design, the keyboard can be lighter than the tablet. Think back to the HP TC1100 hybrids. The keyboard weighed about 3/4 lb. while the tablet itself was around 2-1/2 pounds. The Surface Pro is definitely a candidate to replace any laptop with the specs it brings so a keyboard would be a necessity for most people. Having the ability to detach it and go mobile would be a huge plus.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm just thinking out loud here, but there isn't a single tablet on market right now that offers what's being suggested. The iPad's cover folds up into a triangle to serve as a [rather crappy from what I've seen] stand, and none of them come with any kind of keyboard option at all either except as accessories.

So, what I'm thinking is that the kickstand is actually a pretty nice addition. It's unique, and so are the keyboard styles. I'm pretty stoked about them.

I see what the OP is getting at, but I also know that when I'm sitting on the couch with my laptop it's quite cumbersome. The whole point of the tablet is that I can just hold it (it's extremely light, after all), or let it rest on my legs.

Anyway, if you think of a traditional laptop, there isn't a single one where the display is more than a pound. I think putting any kind of keyboard base on that would hold it without the kickstand is going to put it back in traditional laptop weight ranges which defeats the purpose.

As such, the OP would be better suited looking at some of the Ultrabook options from ASUS or Samsung (The ATIV Pro would be a good candidate from what I've seen) instead of the Surface.

And this is why choice is good.

rroyter

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
With the proper design, the keyboard can be lighter than the tablet. Think back to the HP TC1100 hybrids. The keyboard weighed about 3/4 lb. while the tablet itself was around 2-1/2 pounds. The Surface Pro is definitely a candidate to replace any laptop with the specs it brings so a keyboard would be a necessity for most people. Having the ability to detach it and go mobile would be a huge plus.

I have a hybrid HP tm2-1070us. I really wish the keyboard was heavier because it is very easy to tip the laptop backwards when opened. You can't cheat physics, the center of mass must stay low to be stable.

RStock521

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
A keyboard like this would be perfect. The Surface would be the ultimate versatile device. I'd pay the money to get one of these. I'm sitting on a couch right now typing this on a laptop, but I'd prefer to use the Surface with the keyboard dock for things like this, but then take the dock off when I'm just consuming content.

BotanicalStig

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
For the record- I got a surface for RT. I have no problem using it with touch cover on my lap, chest, bed, anything. It isn't IDEAL, but it works pretty damn good. No complaint. Also, this has become my only PC. The laptop I was going to upgrade to win8 took a dump on me the day before the surface launch. So that's just how it worked out. I don't see enough reason to spend $1000 on a new laptop anymore. I love my surface.

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
just thought of something so I thought id pop in again and mention it, if u pull the kick stand out then flip the keyboard backwards it actually stands up pretty well on the lap ;)

holyxiaoxin

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
The surface is a tablet, with keyboard features. It is meant to be a tablet. If you don't want a tablet and need a physical keyboard, the surface is NOT for you. It's like getting a riding a motorcycle, which allows you to breeze through traffic jams, BUT you need a car which gives you the comfortability and a better ease of transport. That said, you could perhaps consider ultrabooks. There are many windows8 ultrabooks coming out next year, which have touchscreen capabilities. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon